What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last shot of the blood thinner is done. My belly looks like I was attacked and beaten. Bruises all over the place. Glad thats over.

Got the first round of bills for the surgery. $15,000 total
Pretty sure we have our co-pay saved for this, but hubby is going to double-check this morning

Raining like crazy. Pretty sure we're not in a drought anymore after this

Sending hubby out for errands this morning. Pharmacy, bank, insurance agent's, grocery store

I'm hanging out in my pj's. Just glad I can sit longer than 30 mins at the desk now

Got hit with a $600 bill for the zero turn yesterday. Glad we had the money saved for things like this.

Good Morning to All Here...

1709995636695.png

Slept good last night. Sitting here drinking hot tea on this chilly morning and surfing the web. Small fire in the wood stove to take the chill out of the house. I need to get the 4 wheeler started and tires aired up later this morning to pull the wood chipper to a neighbors to chip up some branches, then I get to sort through far too many papers scattered around my desk to get ready for filing taxes and applying for a loan. I am tired of budgeting every penny and I will see if they will approve me to take equity out of my house so I can actually finish it and repair some vehicles and maybe (shhhhh) take a vacation. (that last part is a secret)
The house is 2750 square feet with a 1500 square foot garage so hopefully I get approved for something close to 100K or so. The ex killed my credit score 10 years ago, it used to be about perfect, so hopefully they don't laugh at me.

Lat night late rising stiff from the long time in bed 6 hrs is usual 9 is too much when you have a 54 BPM sleeping.

I do sleep flat down half on the stomach turn once in the night and do the necessary walk, pass back out as soon as I get positioned.

Wife wakes up and checks to see if I am still alive HEHEHEHEH I tell her wishful thinking.

I ordered all of the stuff we need for the rental property yesterday. Should be here today and tomorrow.

The Princess picked up an order of steaks and a roast from the local butcher this morning. Two NY strip steaks were set aside as fodder for the freeze dryer.

20240309_134949.jpg

They are in the freeze dryer now. These are our first and we want to see how they are after we rehydrate them.

Here is hoping!

We are scheduled to meet with the new renters this afternoon. Hoping that goes ok as well.

Granddaughters are due for a sleep over tonight.

Ben

My freeze dryer is on the outs again. Need to run a diagnostic, and have not done it. Just did animal chores this morning, taking care of husband, minimally three meals prepared, so one more to go. This sickness is kicking my butt. Still clogged up, still sore throat. The antibiotic needs to start working. I don't like being laid up. Watching lots of daytime tv with husband. Makes me tired. Crocodile Dundee II.

My freeze dryer is on the outs again. Need to run a diagnostic, and have not done it. Just did animal chores this morning, taking care of husband, minimally three meals prepared, so one more to go. This sickness is kicking my butt. Still clogged up, still sore throat. The antibiotic needs to start working. I don't like being laid up. Watching lots of daytime tv with husband. Makes me tired. Crocodile Dundee II.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Are you going to remove the big hard pieces of fat? freeze dry raw? how thick? Very much interested in how it turns out. I am having freeze dryer withdrawal at the moment.
Its my first time so it may not turn out good. That is why we are just doing two steaks.

Ben

Feel better soon but in the meantime take it easy. Plenty of tea with honey, lemon and cinnamon.

Its my first time so it may not turn out good. That is why we are just doing two steaks.

Ben
Take out those big pieces of hard fat for any long term storage. They won't freeze dry and will cause a problem.

I have a mess of pork chops I was going to try but I am a days drive away from the freeze dryer now. Raw chicken and beef burgers worked well.

Amish, sorry to hear your FD is still having issues. Mine is running like a well oiled machine should. I have gotten 120 batches through it so far. Almost 1200 lbs of wet food. I love that thing.

Last edited:
Do you use a sinus flush? Netti pot or NielMed squeeze bottle, or the fancy expensive Navage? It works great for clearing out the snot, thinning future snot piles, and when you flush that out it relieves the sore throat. I don't know how flushing the gunk out above the back of the mouth relieves the sore throat below the back of the mouth but it does it right quick. If you want to kill whatever kind of infection is up there add a cap full of peroxide into the saline mix and it will start you to feeling better within 12 hours. I have done it many times and it just works and pretty quick too.
Feel better.

Take out those big pieces of hard fat for any long term storage. They won't freeze dry and will cause a problem.

I have a mess of pork chops I was going to try, but I am a days drive away from the freeze dryer now. Raw chicken and beef burgers worked well.

Amish, sorry to hear your FD is still having issues. Mine is running like a well oiled machine should. I have gotten 120 batches through it so far. Almost 1200 lbs of wet food. I love that thing.
You driving bus?

Supposed to be. Just sitting here getting paid for doing nothing until someone can supervise my mandatory last day of wasting diesel. They are all off sick.

I have another job waiting in the wings at home. They are processing me through their system even though I said I wasn't available until fall. If they had called three days earlier I wouldn't have left home. I can't believe how bad the bussing situation is.

Supposed to be. Just sitting here getting paid for doing nothing until someone can supervise my mandatory last day of wasting diesel. They are all off sick.

I have another job waiting in the wings at home. They are processing me through their system even though I said I wasn't available until fall. If they had called three days earlier I wouldn't have left home. I can't believe how bad the bussing situation is.
There are signs here too. They are always in need and even more so since they have to have the hokey pokey 😉

4 hour drive to San Antonio area today to deliver my MIL's ashes to her final resting place. Short very small graveside service, lunch, and then 4 hour drive home.. animals to take care of ... busy day. time to relax!

Buried MIL on 2-17-24. Husband had stroke in right eye in November and cardiologist trying to find where blood clot came from so CT on brain and neck on 19th. On 21st he was cutting tree down on fence line and one area hard wood causing tree to twist and fall on him. Limb hit him on head and knocked him out. He called and I was on way home. Tree was big and had left leg pinned under it. Covered in blood from head wound and skinned off lots of skin on right arm. I had to climb over tree to wrap chain around tree and hook to bucket on tractor to lift it off him. Oddly it his right foot injured. ER was fantastic. 5 staples in head, dressed arm and 3 fractures in foot. Ortho orderedCT of foot on 23rd. Took a week to schedule. Last Wednesday eye appointment and CT. Doctor called Friday and CT showed multiple fractures of 4 toes and ankle . Wants to check him this week on swelling and how skin looks and do surgery on Friday. I took his stapes out on day 8. I still put in 29 hours a week at work. Piano for a funeral last Saturday and play piano every Sunday for church. I am running out of gas. Thanks for checking on me

really windy ( wind warning) and cold today, and here I thought winter was over....
so animals will stay in, the barn door will break if we leave it open for the goats, and the lambs might fly away ....
Weather needs to improve

So no major plans today either , I might make extra pizzas to freeze. I don't even like taking the dog for a hike up the mountain in this wind, branches and trees fall down

Latest posts

Back