What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband has two doc appts today with an hr in between each, so we'll be in the bigger town all late morning and early afternoon. Thankfully, none tomorrow. So....animal chores this morning and stuff around here. Glad no snow here, but it's just at freezing outside this morning. No potatoes in ground here, either, but hope to make that happen in the next few days.

Sorry about your weather Sonya!! Working for one of my regulars today. After I clean the house I am moving plants out of her garage to her back patio! She has decided it's safe for her plants to come out of their winter hiding place!🤔😃 Then a nice afternoon outside, yardwork, critter time, a little pool float time too!! Sammy cat and Buddy are really shedding!! So a good brushing for both of them!!

Got some mowing in while it was dry and watered the poly first thing. I've visitors coming to stay Monday, so the house needs a serious clean - mainly the kitchen and the spare bedroom after last weekend. I've loads of small jobs that don't get done often, (washing windows, power hose yard, clean light fittings) or weren't finished to begin with, like the painting of the hall around the light switches that got upgraded. All on a list for tomorrow, along with a visit to the accountants, and the hairdressers as I've an event on Sunday- I don't know which I dread more! :eek:

I'm actually pretty tired and fancy a weekend in front of the fire knitting!

Been busy the last few days with family visiting. They went home yesterday on the train. Today, have 2 doc appts. for dh, then stop at Aldi for sale on hamburger.
Walked first, of course.
Come home and clean baths and dust house for new company (friends) coming tomorrow.
Bible study tonight.

Headed out to change more rails today. The weather is finally nice, but the dispatcher doesn't want to let us have the track. We might be dragging out the old rail we took out the past few days, and cutting it up into 40 foot sections to be scrapped or re-used on industrial leads. Whatever happens, I'm off work at 5 and headed out for my weekend...

Husband has two doc appts today with an hr in between each, so we'll be in the bigger town all late morning and early afternoon. Thankfully, none tomorrow. So....animal chores this morning and stuff around here. Glad no snow here, but it's just at freezing outside this morning. No potatoes in ground here, either, but hope to make that happen in the next few days.
Have you ever used tires?
Stack car tires. Up and fill with dirtY( ) tcQqxrCCG
it's snowing, yuck
had to start a fire in the stove for the first time in a few days
no goat kids, before you ask, yes they are pregnant and huge

no plans for today except animal care. I wished the weather would improve so I could do things in the garden. Potatoes need to be planted. The stuff I already planted is covered by blankets right now, I take them off during the day it is just freezing early in the morning
used tires stacked on top of each other
Fill with dirt and plant tatters
When read to harvest. Push the stack over

Had my studs removed Fri. and summer tires put on the car. Then it shimmied at 60 mph so went this morning so they could rebalance the tires. It's still not perfect, but I haven't had a chance to think about what else it might be. (not alignment - recently done).
My desk looks like it exploded. Today is my Friday 🙏 so need to get some things finished up (yet here I am).
Have a laundry list of things to get done at home & looking forward to the quiet other than having to go renew my license 🙄 I will try to be there first thing in the morning so I won't have to wait.
A gorgeous rainy day today.

Had my studs removed Fri. and summer tires put on the car. Then it shimmied at 60 mph so went this morning so they could rebalance the tires. It's still not perfect, but I haven't had a chance to think about what else it might be. (not alignment - recently done).
My desk looks like it exploded. Today is my Friday 🙏 so need to get some things finished up (yet here I am).
Have a laundry list of things to get done at home & looking forward to the quiet other than having to go renew my license 🙄 I will try to be there first thing in the morning so I won't have to wait.
A gorgeous rainy day today.
if the shimmy doesn't go away have them rotated. Are you changing the full assembly or taking the tires on and off the rims seasonally?

if the shimmy doesn't go away have them rotated. Are you changing the full assembly or taking the tires on and off the rims seasonally?
Had to take them on and off this time - not the norm, but how the tires worked this year. I might play with the jack and crossbar this weekend 🥴

Had to take them on and off this time - not the norm, but how the tires worked this year. I might play with the jack and crossbar this weekend 🥴
random tire stuff de rimming stretches the bead, multiple de rimming s really stretches the bead, winter rims are cheap compared to wrecking both tires and rims, but de rimming is very profitable to tire shops so they sort of forget to mention that

random tire stuff de rimming stretches the bead, multiple de rimming s really stretches the bead, winter rims are cheap compared to wrecking both tires and rims, but de rimming is very profitable to tire shops so they sort of forget to mention that
Yep, it's only the second time for these tires being mounted. I inadvertently ended up with two different size sets of rims so that created quite the hiccup when I got tires. Have to take one set of new tires back and ask for the correct size - should probably put that on my to-do list also for tomorrow 😣 Erg. That means I will have to speak to people - bleck! I like having 2 complete sets but it's sure been a big PITA this year.

Yep, Frodo...heard of planting in tires, sacks, boxes...but I have a very large garden area tilled and ready to plant. So directly in the ground they'll go. Depends on how husband is feeling tomorrow, today is iffy. But my goal is to get potatoes in and seed for mammoth head sunflowers in the next few days. I need to cut some of the big potatoes up a bit so the ends seal. Maybe today. Finally back from the bigger town, and not sure where the day went.

It's 84 or 85°, I'm going to have a few cold ones on the pool float! That sun is SO nice!🌞
Does sombody have a suitable retort to this teasing :p

42 degrees, and cloudy.

We are 66 and no wind, so enjoying that. Amish neighbor gave us some comfort food...a bag of homemade dried egg noodles, some dehydrated chicken broth, and home canned chicken. Chicken and noodles is a staple around here, heavy on the noodles, not like a soup at all. Did get the potatoes cut. Caught up with my favorite cousin for awhile, and also talked with mom's pastor who came to sing to her and play the guitar. She's not talking today, but he said she did smile. 9th chick hatched.

tire potatoes: we dont have enough old tires, probably just a few laying around here

went to the feed store today after noticing we were just about out of grain. Got the still pregnant goats one alfalfa bale ( the sheep had one too but it's gone) , went to the walmart, I buy less and less there , quality going down even more if that's possible.

I sure hope no babies arrive tonight, it's very cold. Nobody looks to be in labor or leaking so hopefully not. It would be very bad timing, we have had pretty nice and warm weather until today the last few weeks

tire potatoes: we dont have enough old tires, probably just a few laying around here

went to the feed store today after noticing we were just about out of grain. Got the still pregnant goats one alfalfa bale ( the sheep had one too but it's gone) , went to the walmart, I buy less and less there , quality going down even more if that's possible.

I sure hope no babies arrive tonight, it's very cold. Nobody looks to be in labor or leaking so hopefully not. It would be very bad timing, we have had pretty nice and warm weather until today the last few weeks
Monday is new moon - will be dark, they'll wait until then 😣

Our nighttime temps are still low, so have the chick brooders in the house. 20 chicks in the dining room at the moment. I clean them twice a day so they're not stinky, but can't wait to graduate them to the milkhouse. Babies and bad weather is a bummer.
I miss those days, the cats loved watching the chicks growup

I'm not sure the "new" inside cats got to see the chicks, it's been a long long time. Binx and Calcatta , the community cats have met the girls and do ok. Some new cat came in and got schooled by the girls, haven't seen him since.

Latest posts

Back