What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuesday morning. Cat Care at the shelter, then get more stuff together to donate or pack. Raccoons defeated my bungee cords holding the lid on the food for the community cats, they ate them :eyeballs:. Later I will run a cable through the handle to hold the lid down :p

Tuesday morning. Cat Care at the shelter, then get more stuff together to donate or pack. Raccoons defeated my bungee cords holding the lid on the food for the community cats, they ate them :eyeballs:. Later I will run a cable through the handle to hold the lid down :p
I had my cat food in a drum with a screw-on lid, I sat here and watched them unscrew it!
Another time, I saw Roscoe (My drinking buddy coon) unscrew a jar of peanut butter. his mate Maude is good with latches, Gods help me when their kids get in here!

Anyway, what I'm doing. I seem to be a tiny bit better, I can get up without much profanity anyway.

Restoration started last night
Pulled it out of the weeds, needs a transmission and a radiator
'96. S-10 4x4. Extended cab
V-6 vortex with 96K miles
IMG_0352.jpeg

I am kind of very tired today I dont even know why
but I think I will sleep like a log..hopefully
Nite Nite ;)

Thanks @Ekatarina as it is Beautiful...!!!

Lyrics :

Beautiful - Gordon Lightfoot

Cover art for Beautiful by Gordon Lightfoot

Beautiful​

Gordon Lightfoot

Beautiful Lyrics

[Verse 1]
At times I just don't know
How you could be anything but beautiful
Think that I was made for you
And you were made for me

[Chorus]
And I know that I won't ever change
'Cause we've been friends
Through rain or shine
For such a long, long time

[Verse 2]
Laughing eyes and smiling face
It seems so lucky just to have the right
Of telling you with all my might
You're beautiful tonight

[Chorus]
And I know that you will never stray
'Cause you've been that way
From day to day

[Verse 3]
And when you hold me tight
How could life be anything but beautiful?
Think that I was made for you
And you were made for me

[Chorus]
And I know that I won't ever change
'Cause we've been friends
Through rain or shine

[Post-Chorus]
And I must say it means so much to me
To be the one who's telling you
I'm telling you
That you're beautiful

Last edited:
I'm living the Rail Dog dream today, getting paid to sit in the truck and play solitaire on my phone while waiting on the trains to by. The dispatcher isn't playing ball today so we're not getting much done...
I had them years ago tell me I couldn't get time to change a badly broken glued Insulated Joint at an electrically operated switch, I told them I had to change it if they were going to run trains but I had to wait on the rail with the joint, cut it to fit and hopefully weld it in.

They asked if I could get just one over it and I said yes, I would just take down the broken joint and replace it with a solid non insulated joint clamp the switch so it could not be operated and watch the train over it with permission to pass the red signal. After that they wanted me to spend hours watching trains over the place. I said I you need to let me fix this, the chief said they would have some time in about three hours and I said "OK then!!! I will just leave this as Is BUT there is a Stop and inspect 5 MPH walking speed order on it, the trainman will have to watch the train over it and anything that happens falls on your department" .

I got the time to fix it!!!

We had a rail break at a thermite weld under a loaded coal train and it was beaten down so badly the ends of the rail were rolled down at a 45 degree angle, there was a 5" space between the ends and the spikes were loose for four ties.

THE REAL PROBLEM IS WHERE IT WAS!!!!

1715097793720.png

The bridge supports are about ten feet from the north side of the on 15 foot elevated bank track section, the train was a 140 car loaded 100 ton per car coal train going east at 55 mph this is a 65 mph section of US 45 with an very high traffic volume.
Not hard to understand what the consequences would have been for many people

We are cursed. Lat time we tried to play Golf we got rained out. Beautiful day today, so we should be playing Golf! NOOOO . The courses are all saturated from yesterday's rain, so they are closed. Going out of town Thursday, so we will have to see how next week looks. gaah

Last edited:
I had my cat food in a drum with a screw-on lid, I sat here and watched them unscrew it!
Another time, I saw Roscoe (My drinking buddy coon) unscrew a jar of peanut butter. his mate Maude is good with latches, Gods help me when their kids get in here!

Anyway, what I'm doing. I seem to be a tiny bit better, I can get up without much profanity anyway.
But your racoons aren't normal - they are from another planet! They can probably solve advanced algebra problems as well!

Restoration started last night
Pulled it out of the weeds, needs a transmission and a radiator
'96. S-10 4x4. Extended cab
V-6 vortex with 96K miles
View attachment 129393
Better than anything on the market today.

fed the cats, still rainy and windy so they are bored. way to windy to go into the bush maybe I should have another coffee??

@12icemaker funny you should mention Insulated Joints. Part of our work today is cutting the battered ends off of a good IJ and welding new rail on both ends.

One super cold morning years ago we had a pull apart. It snapped both the track bolts on one side of the joint. Corridor said we had to watch 3 trains over it and then we could burn it back together. We didn't have a rail puller. As the first train went over we watched the gap between rail ends spread from 1.5 inches to almost 5 inches. We begged Corridor to let us fix it but they said no, the other 2 trains have to run. The gap was 6 inches afterward. We laid diesel soaked sawdust on the base for 100 yards in both directions and lit it up. The rail started growing and we got 3 bolts in and a drift pin in the last hole when we ran out of sawdust and lost the heat. It pulled back apart and we ended up cutting in a plug of rail. Then the director was pissed because there were 2 joints instead of one. Go figure. All because the dispatcher wouldn't hold those trains for 45 minutes...

Husband had a doc appt this morning. Did that, and went to look at greenhouses. Went back this afternoon and bought a new 8 ft by 16 ft with a solar fan on it. They'll deliver sometime soon. It's built with shelving and a nice wood floor. Have a 8 ft by 12 ft, but I fill it up quickly. Excited about that. Grabbed some ice cream to bring home from Braums, husband's prescriptions, and some hanging porch begonias from our local lady who sells out of her greenhouses. They go quick for mom's day gifts, so got three of them today. Pharmacy pickup for husband. Neighbor boy Levi is riding the street on a non working lawnmower. Little granddaughter called him the waterboy, and he didn't think that was funny. He came over for a bit, but she is cleaning rabbit cages and the goose pools, so he just left, cuz that's no fun. Ha. Time to start working on dinner.

did not do what I had planned, but weedeated under the electric fencing instead . Plus trimmed some more goat hoofs and watched youtube . I think I am actually procrastinating getting ready for the trip, that is how much I really don't feel like it the closer it is getting.
Funny too, people we know at the market were like "oh how fun! I am sooo jealous" when I told them I am going and we won't be there for the rest of the month....
I used to like going on trips, now I dread it

Say @Frodo I have a completely disassembled old lowrider sound show truck 94 model S10 but 4cyl straight.

Everything is on My 18 foot trailer but the seats, the motor and trans and the rolling frame, Been apart since 2007, and will never be together again.

Sonny got the SSS Cobalt in 2006, stage 3 kitted it and then the ac was not working on the S10 and he wanted to five link it and he wanted to put an LS in it and >>>>>>>>> so there it sits.
The only thing I found wrong with the ac was a vacuum line had dried up and fallen off of it.

He should have kept doing shows and recording bands and not gone to work on the outside.
He gets a good pay rate but it eats so much time it takes your life away.

He won a few trophies with the lowrider, it had a couple of 2000 watt sub amps and four 15s with a bunch of Mids and Tweeters in it it would rattle steel doors and the Capacitor bank and heat sinks would heat it in the winter.

It had the rear window, down to the bed floor cut out an extension from the bed to the cab with a torsion strip and a closed camper shell fused to the bed.

The door handles, high brake light, tailgate handle holes, filled and it was a good running little truck.

Life gets in the way of all the plans you make before retirement, After you just don't have time to do any of them after, or your health won't let you.

Just got back from some groceries from Walton World 240 dollars worth for what should be 80 dollars worth.

There was nothing but ten canned things 2 fruits, four veggies, 6 processed junk, two breads, two halfs of milk, kids sweet stuff three ice creams, some processed sandwich meat 3 packs and some condiments. no chips, no other junk food. Quite the unhealthy mess though. ready for the fields to get going well.

Have to get out of the rain It is bad enough just to try keeping everything mowed, I need to cut three times a week to catch up.

I have to cut back the field roads soon before the tree limbs knock me off the tractor.

I usually pull the 16 foot trailer and use the pole saw to drop the limbs on it from the bed of the truck, cut a top notch cut a bottom notch and then finish from the inside top so it swings away and onto the jackknifed trailer sometimes I use a pulley and the trailer winch for a bigger one.

I need to get the carb on the 4 wheeler built and work it over a bit to help me get the spraying and the dragging done.

What was that about getting a car fixed? yeah, in the next life or the one after that.

I said I will be glad for the weather to get warmer and everything to get green get good food from the garden especially that Peaches and Cream corn on the cob.

Now I am thinking I wish it was cold and the grass wasn't growing two inches a day!!!!!

Tuesday May 7th already almost gone
Dark outside ...I have to wear a wool sweater
cuz its cold tonight...you know a bit of goosebumps

My day was busy on and off
I did make a salmon pie with onions and mashed potatoes :)
Now sipping a glass of Pepsi with some Vodka

Hope you guys had all a good Tuesday
Sleep well and relax

This week I've been triple booked every day this week, Monday and Tuesday started with morning calls 09:00 CEST, todays stuff ended at 16:30 MST... Tomorrow is not as long, but I have to take the wife to a Dr's appointment around 14:00, that will make the day difficult. Taking half a day off Friday to take the wife to the podiatrist, she has two toes that are bluish/black and hurting her, hope we don't lose them, they have already taken 1... Just too much going on.

This week I've been triple booked every day this week, Monday and Tuesday started with morning calls 09:00 CEST, todays stuff ended at 16:30 MST... Tomorrow is not as long, but I have to take the wife to a Dr's appointment around 14:00, that will make the day difficult. Taking half a day off Friday to take the wife to the podiatrist, she has two toes that are bluish/black and hurting her, hope we don't lose them, they have already taken 1... Just too much going on.
Prayers on the way Urban

Another day at the nut farm 🤪. Not quite as nutty as yesterday but. . .
Next two days, we have a lot going on at work so will see if I can still speak English and not be cross eyed by the end of the week.
On an awesome note, I have slept through the night for two nights in a row- wahoo!

Latest posts

Back