What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This week I've been triple booked every day this week, Monday and Tuesday started with morning calls 09:00 CEST, todays stuff ended at 16:30 MST... Tomorrow is not as long, but I have to take the wife to a Dr's appointment around 14:00, that will make the day difficult. Taking half a day off Friday to take the wife to the podiatrist, she has two toes that are bluish/black and hurting her, hope we don't lose them, they have already taken 1... Just too much going on.
Wow UB. Prayers to you and Mrs UB. Also hope something breaks the crazy so you can take a walk in the woods (or a nap).

Another day at the nut farm 🤪. Not quite as nutty as yesterday but. . .
Next two days, we have a lot going on at work so will see if I can still speak English and not be cross eyed by the end of the week.
On an awesome note, I have slept through the night for two nights in a row- wahoo!
I meant to give ya a hug but you also made me laugh. Glad you are able to sleep! Mine has been whacked out lately.

Side note: Gordon Lightfoot as a younger man and Chris Pratt now looked a lot like each other.
The owls continue to be in the neighborhood. Dog woofs every time she hears them.
Work.
No coffee in 31 years. 🫠
Deer have come into my front yard lately and nibbling the geranium, lantana, and something else….

No coffee in 31 years. 🫠
Deer have come into my front yard lately and nibbling the geranium, lantana, and something else….

Maybe a sick deer? Both geranium and lantana have medicinal properties. This time of year ticks are sure to be driving them nuts, probably wormy too. Both plants would help with those pests. Just nibbling and not devouring them? Critters nibble on unpleasant plants they need for medicine.

Nothing much today, a few chores. Finally got around to putting the lemon balm plants in pots. They looked good, growing nicely. They were still in the little cups since I bought them 12days ago.

Last edited:
@Peanut ticks are not as high numbered here, but maybe a fawn is nibbling. I don’t know if we’ve got sick deer. My daughter saw droppings in the yard when they were cleaning the yard up.
So far the squirrels haven’t eaten my passion flower vine, or the Mexican honeysuckle or the Monarda. Got those for the butterflies and bees.

Say @Frodo I have a completely disassembled old lowrider sound show truck 94 model S10 but 4cyl straight.

Everything is on My 18 foot trailer but the seats, the motor and trans and the rolling frame, Been apart since 2007, and will never be together again.

Sonny got the SSS Cobalt in 2006, stage 3 kitted it and then the ac was not working on the S10 and he wanted to five link it and he wanted to put an LS in it and >>>>>>>>> so there it sits.
The only thing I found wrong with the ac was a vacuum line had dried up and fallen off of it.

He should have kept doing shows and recording bands and not gone to work on the outside.
He gets a good pay rate but it eats so much time it takes your life away.

He won a few trophies with the lowrider, it had a couple of 2000 watt sub amps and four 15s with a bunch of Mids and Tweeters in it it would rattle steel doors and the Capacitor bank and heat sinks would heat it in the winter.

It had the rear window, down to the bed floor cut out an extension from the bed to the cab with a torsion strip and a closed camper shell fused to the bed.

The door handles, high brake light, tailgate handle holes, filled and it was a good running little truck.

Life gets in the way of all the plans you make before retirement, After you just don't have time to do any of them after, or your health won't let you.

Just got back from some groceries from Walton World 240 dollars worth for what should be 80 dollars worth.

There was nothing but ten canned things 2 fruits, four veggies, 6 processed junk, two breads, two halfs of milk, kids sweet stuff three ice creams, some processed sandwich meat 3 packs and some condiments. no chips, no other junk food. Quite the unhealthy mess though. ready for the fields to get going well.

Have to get out of the rain It is bad enough just to try keeping everything mowed, I need to cut three times a week to catch up.

I have to cut back the field roads soon before the tree limbs knock me off the tractor.

I usually pull the 16 foot trailer and use the pole saw to drop the limbs on it from the bed of the truck, cut a top notch cut a bottom notch and then finish from the inside top so it swings away and onto the jackknifed trailer sometimes I use a pulley and the trailer winch for a bigger one.

I need to get the carb on the 4 wheeler built and work it over a bit to help me get the spraying and the dragging done.

What was that about getting a car fixed? yeah, in the next life or the one after that.

I said I will be glad for the weather to get warmer and everything to get green get good food from the garden especially that Peaches and Cream corn on the cob.

Now I am thinking I wish it was cold and the grass wasn't growing two inches a day!!!!!
Put it back together

My wife found 2 ticks on her arm. They were still crawling so she just removed them.
2 nights ago I felt something on the back of my head.
Woke my wife up to look and she found a tick.
She removed it with tweezers.
We have never had ticks so this is something new for us and we do not like it.
I KEEP this in the door pocket of the van
I spray my feet and legs up to my knees
And am usually tick free

IMG_0356.jpeg

Ticks can be fun, just tell your partner that you need to check them for ticks lol

Gonna try to finish up a black powder shootin bag.
I've pulled the trigger and the DW and I will have a small booth just off da round square in Ellijay this Saturday at the craft/farmers market.
We will see if some of my small leather cobblins will sell, just hoping to recoup some funds to resupply.

need to weedeat some more of the electric fencing and make a list of what to pack.
Probably will put a few more packs of seeds in the ground , have a few empty spaces in one of the gardens, the other one is done until more tomato plants get large enough to put it in. Some of the first batch got left out when it froze and died. But we had way too many last year so if I have a few less it's no big deal. I never seem to use up all the tomotos I can ( plain, sauce, and pasta sauce)

To the local gun shop later, a pistol I ordered has arrived. New blade arrived for the mower, I can put it on and If it's not too Swampy, will cut a path through the "lawn" so I can at least have a starting point when it dries enough to cut.

We are under a flood advisory. Since I have been unable to get plants out, I thought I would force myself today so that it will be cloudy and wet to help get the plants going.

I start my tomatoes from seed and this year I have been neglectful and they are spindley. I put some into containers because I have juglone poisoning due to walnuts. I was rushing because of rain and pain and broke 4 plants. I buried them deep so hopefully they grow new roots. I have always had luck potting suckers.

Looks like the will be lots of bad weather today. I'm in Middle Tennessee.

We normally don't drink juice except the odd bottle when K feels like he wants orange juice. I bought 9 half gallon bottles of various shelf stable juices this week. With summer just around the corner I need the bottles for the rabbits. I fill and freeze them so the buns can cool down. I only have 2 empty after 2 days. I poured the juice into half gallon jars and put them in the fridge. The girls are loving all the juice. I even used some for popsicles. Now I need to hurry up and finish the other 7 bottles!

I was checking out some plants in the wash across the road and stepped in a fire ant hill. I only have 2 bites on my foot as I got them off fast. The pain was nothing like I remember from my youth when I was bite head to toe. Since it was just 2 bites I dealt with it. I need to make a fire ant salve just in case the girls get bit.

When inspecting the plants I did see 3 I think I can identify but I am no expert. Do we have a thread for plant ID? I think I found wild onion/garlic, ribwort(narrow leaf plantain) and hemlock?

Ribwort (Narrow Leaf Plantain)
IMG_0194.jpeg

Wild Onion/Garlic
IMG_0191.jpeg

Hemlock?
IMG_0192.jpeg

Gonna try to finish up a black powder shootin bag.
I've pulled the trigger and the DW and I will have a small booth just off da round square in Ellijay this Saturday at the craft/farmers market.
We will see if some of my small leather cobblins will sell, just hoping to recoup some funds to resupply.
Did you ever set up the machine?

So far it's been a pretty good day. Ran out to Ollie's & bought another tower fan (wife wanted one for the dinning room) and a couple of pieces of outdoor carpet for our new covered patio. The wife went through the frig & cleaned it out for garbage day (tomorrow). A load of dishes going. Garden's doing well & we haven't hit 100 degrees all spring (96 projected for today). All in all I've had a productive morning & now is kick back time. So I've made myself a whiskey & Pepsi & going to do nothing for the rest of today. Tomorrow, we start painting our patio.

Just remembered I'm going to bid on an auction in about 30 minutes. The pieces I'm bidding on are spread out so there goes my do nothing afternoon.

Last edited:
Got grandma a flip phone. She locked up the iPhone multiple times in the last couple of weeks so we are reeling back the technology. Baked two loaves of bread the boy mixed up this morning before he headed to work. Working until 5, doing a couple of hours at the house remodel, then later dinner. We have rib steaks thawed in the fridge, I imagine the hubby can go them started when he gets home from work. Hopefully the wind will let up, it’s downright cold out. Makes picking greens and asparagus unpleasant in the garden. The average last frost date is supposed to be this week, but winter is hanging on like a tick this year.

We normally don't drink juice except the odd bottle when K feels like he wants orange juice. I bought 9 half gallon bottles of various shelf stable juices this week. With summer just around the corner I need the bottles for the rabbits. I fill and freeze them so the buns can cool down. I only have 2 empty after 2 days. I poured the juice into half gallon jars and put them in the fridge. The girls are loving all the juice. I even used some for popsicles. Now I need to hurry up and finish the other 7 bottles!

I was checking out some plants in the wash across the road and stepped in a fire ant hill. I only have 2 bites on my foot as I got them off fast. The pain was nothing like I remember from my youth when I was bite head to toe. Since it was just 2 bites I dealt with it. I need to make a fire ant salve just in case the girls get bit.

When inspecting the plants I did see 3 I think I can identify but I am no expert. Do we have a thread for plant ID? I think I found wild onion/garlic, ribwort(narrow leaf plantain) and hemlock?

Ribwort (Narrow Leaf Plantain)
View attachment 129451

Wild Onion/Garlic
View attachment 129452

Hemlock?
View attachment 129453
Did you have pictures of the leaves of the last one? The stems are hairless and usually have red to purple splotches on hemlock. Also it flat stinks when you break the stem. We have a lot of it around here and I pull it as soon as I see it. This picture doesn’t quite look like it but it could be.

I sympathize with your grandma...I'm that grandma. I have a flip phone.
Went to the grade school graduation. Little granddaughter's 7th grade classmates were recognized (6 of them), and then there were 2 8th grade graduates. A couple of prayers said, a song sung, recognition of students, then cookies and punch. They've got a few more days of school next week, then summer break. Too bad the school is closing.

Latest posts

Back