What's in your BOB GHB or backpacks?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know I have been talking about my situation for a while now, and I'm sure that some have forgotten about it (lol) but I have what I think is a decent start on it ( by no means is it complete YET)

I now have my 75l backpack.

. for my drinking water I have a mini sewer water filter which can be used as a straw, inline filter or attached to a pop like bottle.

. I have a first aid kit which I canabalized 2 to make 1. also a mini sewing kit.

.A home made fire kit which has 3 bic lighters, a ferow rod and a bunch of little straws stuffed with cotton balls infused with petroleum jelly(Vaseline).

. There is a mini fishing kit I put together with various small hooks, I plan on getting more, along with a lot of fishing line. When I can afford a cheep reel, it will be included. as for the rod, a small tree will be cut down.

.50 feet if nylon rope with a unknown length if sizzle rope.

.A 3 piece stainless steel pot/pan set which includes a small plastic drinking cup. Also (wife) gave me a ss mixing bowl.

. At home I have forgot to put it in bag I have a small camping axe. (yes I know dumb on my part)

.I will be putting some can food in there along with dryed food.

.Not shown is are kitchen knife, steel (for sharpening) and a can opener.

.There is a small compass and a cheap pair of binoculars 8x21 (not sure what that means). And 40%deet bug spray.

20180708_134405.jpg

I know I'm missing stuff. What else do the fine folks here recommend? Keeping in mind I cannot have guns and such on me because of international laws in crossing the border.

. for my drinking water I have a mini sewer water filter which can be used as a straw, inline filter or attached to a pop like bottle.

Shouldn't that read:
. for my drinking water I have a mini sewer water filter which can be used as a straw, inline filter or attached to a poop like bottle.

8X21 means 8 power with a 21 MM lens.

Shouldn't that read:
. for my drinking water I have a mini sewer water filter which can be used as a straw, inline filter or attached to a poop like bottle.

8X21 means 8 power with a 21 MM lens.

ok ok ok I never said I was anything but a truck driver. :p:p lol

You've got a good start going here. The very fact that you're doing anything puts you ahead of most. A few things cross my mind: 1) I didn't hear any mention of a firearm. You'll need something to protect yourself. 2) Consider a small flashlight. Won't take much thinking to come up with several uses in a get-home situation. 3) I keep a metal water bottle in my own GHB - not only carries a little water, but you can suspend it over a fire and warm up the contents (oatmeal, tea, soup, and lots of other things). 4) Think about adding a lifeboat ration bar. Small. Each helping (most have 9) has the calories to keep you going. Long shelf life. Not the tastiest stuff in the world, but will definitely fill the gap when the fish don't bite.

You've got a good start going here. The very fact that you're doing anything puts you ahead of most. A few things cross my mind: 1) I didn't hear any mention of a firearm. You'll need something to protect yourself. 2) Consider a small flashlight. Won't take much thinking to come up with several uses in a get-home situation. 3) I keep a metal water bottle in my own GHB - not only carries a little water, but you can suspend it over a fire and warm up the contents (oatmeal, tea, soup, and lots of other things). 4) Think about adding a lifeboat ration bar. Small. Each helping (most have 9) has the calories to keep you going. Long shelf life. Not the tastiest stuff in the world, but will definitely fill the gap when the fish don't bite.

Because I drive truck internationally I can not have weapons on me or in my truck. now that you mention it I do have a metal water thermos but it has a plastic lid. I'll just have to be Carefull in heating up the water.

What is your plan for cooking or heating up water? Or did you think you wouldn't? There are stoves that are metal and fold down flat that can be used with found fuel--sticks, wood, what ever burns. I know that they add a little weight, and there are many options.

for starters I'll just make a small rock ring and heat/cook food and water. once i get both vehicles fixed up im thinking of a small folding biomass stove.

You mention a kitchen knife. I have several varieties of knives, but not one kitchen knife in my gear. I think there are many good knives that could be used in place of a kitchen knife.

here it is. Pampered chef (lol) my wife loves the brand. I like the knife. 1531093213613329682717.jpg

International travel and Air Guns? Something to look into. Moder air rifles or pistols are not the the toys of yesteryear. I do know they do not have the same restrictions in the USA as firearms, so maybe a possibility in Canada?

International travel and Air Guns? Something to look into. Moder air rifles or pistols are not the the toys of yesteryear. I do know they do not have the same restrictions in the USA as firearms, so maybe a possibility in Canada?

I will have find out about air guns. I know in Canada even air guns are regulated if they are over 500fps (I think it's that low). But it's a good idea.

Here is what's in the "GHB/car bag", to get home/wait for rescue. TP, glow stick, N-95 mask, gloves, boonie hat, baggie with soap, tissues, pads, razor, little baggie of first aid stuff, poncho, Sawyer water filter, applesauce, towel, MRE heaters, MRE's, Radio, flasklight, multitool, camp knife, cards, compass, candle, hand warmers, utensils, thermal tube tent, space blanket, water packets and spare glasses. In winter I add knit cap, sweatshirt/hoodies, real gloves and a good sleeping bag.

P7090001.JPG

Last edited:
How about a small sewing kit?

Dental floss can be used for cleaning between your teeth, sewing, and it is strong so it can be used to secure things together like a shelter.

A space blanket and a space bag might come in handy.

How about a small sewing kit?

Dental floss can be used for cleaning between your teeth, sewing, and it is strong so it can be used to secure things together like a shelter.

A space blanket and a space bag might come in handy.

There are two varieties of space or emergency blankets. One is the thickness of a mylar bag and surely is better than nothing. Then there is a space blanket that is heavier, sturdier, provide more protection, more expensive and weighs more. I really prefer them, but I know that every ounce adds up. I keep a couple of them in a duffel bag with my sleeping bag, and other sleeping gear (hammock, mini-pillow, tarp, etc.)

Because I drive truck internationally I can not have weapons on me or in my truck. now that you mention it I do have a metal water thermos but it has a plastic lid. I'll just have to be Carefull in heating up the water.

Ouch! So much for the gun thing.

As for the metal thermos, just leave the lid off when you boil or heat anything. No melting cap and no issues from the pressure building up.

Ouch! So much for the gun thing.

As for the metal thermos, just leave the lid off when you boil or heat anything. No melting cap and no issues from the pressure building up.

Yep that's what I was going to do. It's in my BOB now.

Can you have sporting equipment?
A baseball, glove and bat maybe?
I was told if you carry a bat be sure to have a ball and glove.
Your attorney will thank you.:D

Regardless of what is in the BOB you have to have some food and a way to transport heavier or bulky items;
BugOutTrailer.jpg

Here you can see that the portable kitchen is being transported with the ham and bacon in a way that will keep it fresh. ;)

I'd keep at least 2 knives, a high quality folder in my pocket and a good fixed blade too. Then a small axe/hatchet for heavy tasks. A kukri could replace both the hatchet and fixed knife. How many fire making options do you have? I'd take matches in a Ziploc baggie with a healthy ball of dryer lint, and a lighter too. Lifestraw, first aid (packed however you want it, but I'd remember aspirin and ibuprofen). Metal water container, compass, iodine 3%, duct tape, and whatever your preferred cordage is. Oh, and an extra pair of socks and a bar of soap, and a way to sharpen your blades.

Ha I almost forgot to add 1/2 of a roll of TP in a Ziploc bag. Can't forget the essentials!

I'd keep at least 2 knives, a high quality folder in my pocket and a good fixed blade too. Then a small axe/hatchet for heavy tasks. A kukri could replace both the hatchet and fixed knife. How many fire making options do you have? I'd take matches in a Ziploc baggie with a healthy ball of dryer lint, and a lighter too. Lifestraw, first aid (packed however you want it, but I'd remember aspirin and ibuprofen). Metal water container, compass, iodine 3%, duct tape, and whatever your preferred cordage is. Oh, and an extra pair of socks and a bar of soap, and a way to sharpen your blades.

Ha I almost forgot to add 1/2 of a roll of TP in a Ziploc bag. Can't forget the essentials!

I have a small fire kit which includes 3 Bic lighters. 1 fair rod. and a bunch of small straws with cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly. I do have a small hatchet at home that I'll be putting in my bag. I keep both Tylenol and ibuprofen in the truck within arms reach. As for the other stuff you mentioned I have. but I totally forgot about the tp. once i get home I'll be making sure I get the tp in there lol

Latest posts

Back