Whats the worst possibility for you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Age issues? Not really. My doctor says, given my family history (both parents lived to be 89 and were rockin' and rollin' until about six months before dying ) and I'm off almost all my meds (just one statin drug, down from five a day a year ago), I should have about 11 or 12 years before being collected by the reaper. Dawn is set up for a knee replacement next month but otherwise, we're both in reasonably good health. She's 67 and I'm 79.

Our kids are away; one in Seattle, the other in Phoenix. Both are somewhat prepper-ish and all I can do is hope that, if there are Hard Times, they would be able to pull through.

Civil war between the Libtards and Magatards? Nah, Idaho is abut 80 percent maga and the libs like Dawn and I know enough to keep a low profile.

(As a side issue, in 2020, we put up a small "Ridin' with Biden" sign in our front yard; the next week, my next door neighbor dropped by and told me that he had discussed my family's sins with the members of his Ward and they promised not to bring their pitchforks and torches when they visited that night. Then he borrowed my compound miter saw.) Translation: Most of the folks here don't care whom we vote for.

Other potential bad guys shouldn't be a problem. Everyone here (at least those I know) are preppers and armed to the teeth, and we meet -- on a casual basis -- to discuss potential problems and how we hope to work together if things get stupid. We have my sister-in-law and her hubs in Boise -- way more than Libtard than we are -- who is terrified of firearms, doesn't prep and used to say that they'd move in with us if the schitt got real. Dawn disabused her of that notion right away; besides, Boise is over a hundred miles away and they don't have enough sense to gas up their car until it's practically empty.

Finally, we have almost a year's supply of food, chickens, goats, a basement, a hand-pump for the well, and a good-sized garden. The only thing I would lack would be a reason to go on living if Dawn died.

I'd dearly love to be buried in the woods behind my house. If anything happens here to any of mine, I'll be out with a shovel and that's where they would go.

And in relation to @Tommyice comment- Part of me agrees with you. Hope in humanity. The other part is 'nope' - stay tough. I find the few times I've watched a survival show (there was one near Alaska or BC on here) the ones that give up are the people who miss their family. They even forgo a knife, or tarp or useful tool to bring a photograph. It is their downfall. (Husband and I once looked up what you can bring with you-I'll put on another thread)
I get what you're saying, but when the balloon goes up we won't have a treasure trove of useful stuff to choose from--we'll have what we have. I can't speak for them, but I'm pretty sure every soldier who went to fight had some memento--be it lock of hair, photograph, etc.--to help keep them grounded in the why.

I guess you live as long as you have food and water and no health problems.
This could be the short version of what Surviving is.

Although I would not say no health problems. You can be really messed up for decades and still survive. It's only the fatal health problems that end you.

Other potential bad guys shouldn't be a problem. Everyone here (at least those I know) are preppers and armed to the teeth,
Sounds like a pretty serious problem to me, unless everyone is perfectly equally prepped, SOMEONE is going to run out of food first....while being armed to the teeth.

I get what you're saying, but when the balloon goes up we won't have a treasure trove of useful stuff to choose from--we'll have what we have. I can't speak for them, but I'm pretty sure every soldier who went to fight had some memento--be it lock of hair, photograph, etc.--to help keep them grounded in the why.
I agree with the premise of a photo when going to war, or in the apocalypse. What I meant was I don't think it's the same when you're entering a survival competition.

Sounds like a pretty serious problem to me, unless everyone is perfectly equally prepped, SOMEONE is going to run out of food first....while being armed to the teeth.
Well, that one neo-prepper who gets hungry right away could be met by the other 20 or so who are better-fed but also "armed to the teeth".

But my bet is that most of us would -- to one degree or another -- take care of their neighbors. Beside, most folks here are LDS; they seem to be pretty good at taking care of each other when times get tough. Look at the handcart companies in the mid-1850s.

Look at the handcart companies in the mid-1850s.
I'm a descendant of one. I have her journals.

I'm just saying, being a 'prepper' does not automatically make someone a 'safe' neighbor. Morality, Empathy, etc....is not a requirement to stockpile food, guns, etc.

Not being able to Be with / help my Sons, et al take their 'Last Stand', with all of us together, and - worse - Not being able to 'comm' (even with the several preparations we've made to 'Comm after the common-modes are down' (ie: Sat-based devices, once All cels / HAM-repeaters, etc are down..) to at Least be able to know 'status' of everyone / 'encourage' to Never Give Up / give situation-advice, etc.. That will tear me up pretty bad...

..and ya'll know the old trope about the 'Danger of a Man who's Lost Everything'...

..yah, I shan't be 'going quietly'... 😈🤬

jd

Well, that one neo-prepper who gets hungry right away could be met by the other 20 or so who are better-fed but also "armed to the teeth".

But my bet is that most of us would -- to one degree or another -- take care of their neighbors. Beside, most folks here are LDS; they seem to be pretty good at taking care of each other when times get tough. Look at the handcart companies in the mid-1850s.
Two of the movies on the subject,

Ephraim's Rescue, and 17 Miracles.​

Latest posts

Back