Wheelbarrow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had a flat tire on my Stanley wheelbarrow with a plastic tub. the labor to patch it would have been twenty dollars plus at least ten for a new tube.

For around fifty bucks I picked up a conversion kit to make mine a dual wheel wheelbarrow.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DTTEI8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It went on slicker than snot. There were two problems. The kit was short one cotter key. The kit was made in China.

It didn't call for grease on the axel but I had it available. The wife is in town and has been tasked with picking up a cotter key assortment. I messed up and didn't check on the China issue. Even so, with the increased stability I'm pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a flat tire on my Stanley wheelbarrow with a plastic tub. the labor to patch it would have been twenty dollars plus at least ten for a new tube.

For around fifty bucks I picked up a conversion kit to make mine a dual wheel wheelbarrow.

It went on slicker than snot. There were two problems. The kit was short one cotter key. The kit was made in China.

It didn't call for grease on the axel but I had it available. The wife is in town and has been tasked with picking up a cotter key assortment. I messed up and didn't check on the China issue. Even so, with the increased stability I'm pleased.

Nice. Dual-barrows are where it's at. I will never go back to the uni-barrow. Although I bought my ready built.

Prepper Moto -- Two is better than One. Just could not resist. :ghostly:

I have both types.
Both had flat tires so I replaced them with solid no flat tires from Harbor Freight.
Then I discovered the dual tire has a cracked handle.
The single tire one is rusted through.
At this point I am going to cut my losses and just spend $100 and buy a new dual wheel.
The most important thing when choosing a new wheel barrow is to make sure your wife can handle it. :D

I never used a dual wheel, so have no input from experience there. Is it just as maneuverable as a single? It would seem tight maneuvering would be impacted. With a single, you can tip/lean the barrow and make really tight turns and adjustments. Straight running would be more stable though.

On my Jackson M5, I went to a solid tire and did not care for it. It lacked the ‘bounce’ and ability to handle uneven terrain. It would not roll as easily over construction grounds, meaning freshly dozed uneven ground. I went back to pneumatic.

I never used a dual wheel, so have no input from experience there. Is it just as maneuverable as a single? It would seem tight maneuvering would be impacted. With a single, you can tip/lean the barrow and make really tight turns and adjustments. Straight running would be more stable though.
On my Jackson M5, I went to a solid tire and did not care for it. It lacked the ‘bounce’ and ability to handle uneven terrain. It would not roll as easily over construction grounds, meaning freshly dozed uneven ground. I went back to pneumatic.
You are correct in most instances.
If I was using one in a construction job I would also have a steel Jackson single wheel wheel barrow.
I use mine around the house and I never load it heavy.
I make several trips.
The 2 wheel does have a bigger turn radius but it's easier on my back.
I actually have a wagon that we use more than the wheel barrows.

Finishing nail works as a decedent substitute until the next trip into town.
I thought of that but the wife was already in town so I sent her to the hardware store for a cotter pin assortment. The gal at the store handed her an assortment and said that unless there was something wrong with me that this should do. My wife told her that there were indeed a couple of things wrong with me. Am I Rodney Dangerfield? I get no respect.

It is up and running and I like it. The stability will make it easier to keep upright. A slight loss of maneuverability is not a problem.

Ours is on its last leg after much use this past couple weeks, but it has been a good one changed handles on it twice over past 15 years. It is time for a new one. It almost broke with me going around gates.
Plus we need a smaller one to get inside chic pen door to clean it.
Still want the big one so thanks Car for the link for repair kit.

I agree we like pneumatic too.

You guys reminded me of an old wheelbarrow I used for a bit with a steel wheel. There were five or six steel rods for spokes welded to a steel flat bar hoop for a tire. It was better than nothing but I didn't like using it.

I have both types.
Both had flat tires so I replaced them with solid no flat tires from Harbor Freight.
I did that as well. The first year I had my wheel barrow, maybe 25 years ago, the tire was fine. The next spring, it was flat and every time after that that I wanted to use it I had to air it up. The tire then seemed to just be rotten, so replacing it finally with a solid tire made sense to me.
Now I wish I had known about this dual tire, because I would have gone that route, even though I would have had to change up the little ramps I have made for my single tire.

Latest posts

Back