When Your Marriage Reaches “Middle Age”

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
My wife just had a co-worker file for divorce after 23 years of marriage. No abuse or infidelity took place, they just gave up on each other. Sad.

https://misanthrope.today/2019/12/23/when-your-marriage-reaches-middle-age/

When Your Marriage Reaches “Middle Age”

Has what was once a raging fire, diminished to a dull ember? After 15 to 20 years of working, bill paying, and parenting, any married couple these days should be commended for simply staying together!

But, you and your spouse deserve more than that, but, it can be very hard to keep the fun and excitement going that brought the two of you together, once your marriage reaches “middle age.”

The “middle years” of marriage bring with them their own special share of challenges.

You and your spouse could be looking for revitalization in your jobs, a new home, or even some other new aspirations, of life goals. If you are recent “empty nesters,” there could be many personal as well as physical “makeovers” in the mix — maybe that is because with kids out on their own, you have the money, and the “me time” to spend on yourselves!

With theoretically more time on your hands, and more money to explore new and better versions of yourselves, how then can the two of you expand your horizons together, rather than drift apart, as you and your marriage drift into middle age?

Here are some tips to keep the flames going, or to rekindle that missing spark!

Have Fun!

One of the keys to keeping a middle-aged marriage “fresh” is to just remember to laugh and have fun every once in a while! Once your marriage enters the “silver-age,” many couples find themselves lacking in the fun department at this point in life. I mean, when was the last time you and your spouse really laughed together?

Most likely, sharing fun activities started your whole relationship in the first place! You can go back and do all of those things again that used to make you laugh and enjoy, or even better, you can take up whole new adventures together.

My husband and I are both over 50, and we recently celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary, and you know what? The two of us are having the times of our lives! We go out Karaoke singing two or three times a week, and we are taking classes together in Improv comedy! Both of these are not only great fun, and have brought us closer together, they have introduced us to a whole new group of like-minded “fun-loving older folk,” that we are doing all sorts of great parties with!

Refresh Your Perspective and Ability to Forgive

Sometimes in a long-term relationship, it is easy to get annoyed with your spouse. After 25 years or so, all of those little things you initially found endearing can really start to get on your nerves. But, when you begin to feel this way, ask yourself this question: “If my husband only had 6 months to live would this really bother me or would I overlook it?” Usually, I’d overlook it, realizing that my husband was not intentionally trying to frustrate me, just over-stressed with life at the moment.

Even if you are currently feeling annoyed, choose to do something intentionally kind for your spouse, maybe once a day, just to show that you love them. Remember how easy it was to overlook those little annoyances in your relationship when you first fell love, and how you would go out of your way just to grab a kiss, or say “I love you?” Do that again!

Refresh Those Listening Skills

We all have disagreements with our spouse, but in midlife, when stresses increase and hormones decrease, both men and women have lots of changing moods and emotions. About this time couples might notice they’ve fallen into a rut of bad communication habits and resentment and anger may start to emerge.

The two keys to good communication are more important now than ever:

• Listen and share without blame, shame or judgment
  • Listen without trying to fix the problem and without interrupting, even if you disagree
When you do respond, instead of dismissing their feelings because you don’t see it that way, try to see the situation from their perspective, not just yours. Perhaps they have misunderstood what you meant. Perhaps something you said or did triggered a wound from their past. Instead of getting defensive, and attacking, a great question to ask in response to something that was said that ticked you off is, “How could I have communicated differently that would have been more helpful to you?” or “what could I do differently next time this issue arises?”

Make a commitment to work on the issues together!

Yes, that is sad. A lot of marriages don't last five years. Those that last longer than that usually don't end in divorce.

My wife and I have been married 27 years and we remain happily married. We spend a lot of time together, laugh a lot, share in the chores, and we still love and respect one another. We were never pressured to get married by anyone. When we did, it's because we knew it was the right thing. Maybe some folks get married because it seemed like a good idea at the time, but they're just not cut out for monogamy, or that particular person.

We spend a lot of time together, laugh a lot, share in the chores, and we still love and respect one another.

That's both wonderful and explains why you have been married so long.

It amazes me how people go into marriages (or later on) believing that they need to put their own needs first and the marriage second. Then they don't understand why it fell apart. If each partner gives selflessly to the other they create a relationship where both are happy and satisfied, something both will be willing to fight for.

My wife and I married very quickly, and perhaps before we truly knew who the other was. But we made a lifelong commitment to one another and put in much more than the minimum effort every single day. We will be together as long as we are alive, because we are unwilling to part ways (or do anything that would divide us).

Been Married since '11.been together since '04
we know each other,and give each other room,but we do lots of stuff together,we are each others best friend.
we have our ups and downs,but the ups out weigh the downs.
hats off to those with many years at this!!

Young people today give up and QUIT marriage like it was a project or a job that they just had a problem and didn't want to continue.

It you want it to last forever..you gotta work at it , just like anything else.

A QUITTER IS A QUITTER .

No will power , no understanding ,

Or

Should never married to begin with.

Did I tell ya WE been married since 9/10/66.

Jim

My best friend married at 22 or 23, with a little one on the way. That was 25 years ago, the he is about to become an empty nester. His wife confided to me recently, that she wasn't sure what to think about that - they had never been without the kids in their marriage. She said, "We'll be alone together for the first time. What are we going to do if we find out we don't like each other?" I didn't really have an answer. My own marriage failed miserably. There wasn't one single part of it that was better than being single. As a result, I tend to look at the idea of being married with contempt. There is one thing I've learned though. People who are successfully married, (as opposed to those who just manage to stay together), put their marriage first. It comes before the kids, before the money, before the bills, before the jobs...and they accept one thing: their spouse is a separate human being with his/her own life, needs, desires, ideas, and opinions. There is no controlling, no manipulation, no games. They're in it together.

That's how I see it...

39 years last week. There have been times I want to ring his neck but I would never consider divorcing him. And I'm positive he's felt the same over the years lol
We've been empty nesters for 20 years now and we like the privacy and quiet. Its nice that if we want to go somewhere or do something we can just go
He has his interests/hobbies, I have mine
We literally are each other's best friends. We've always liked hanging out with each other
People accuse Boomers of being the "me" generation and looking for instant gratification but younger people today are the ones who want "perfect" everything. They want perfect bodies, lives,jobs,friends,etc. And if it isn't then they just quit without even trying. Doesn't work that way.
Life is messy.
You gotta get stuck in and deal with it head on

My best friend married at 22 or 23, with a little one on the way. That was 25 years ago, the he is about to become an empty nester. His wife confided to me recently, that she wasn't sure what to think about that - they had never been without the kids in their marriage. She said, "We'll be alone together for the first time. What are we going to do if we find out we don't like each other?" I didn't really have an answer. My own marriage failed miserably. There wasn't one single part of it that was better than being single. As a result, I tend to look at the idea of being married with contempt. There is one thing I've learned though. People who are successfully married, (as opposed to those who just manage to stay together), put their marriage first. It comes before the kids, before the money, before the bills, before the jobs...and they accept one thing: their spouse is a separate human being with his/her own life, needs, desires, ideas, and opinions. There is no controlling, no manipulation, no games. They're in it together.

That's how I see it...

You got good vision.

Jim

I like to tell people I stole my wife right out of her dorm room. She was young college student and I was an old (relatively speaking) police officer who responded to a 911 call at her residence. That lead to a short friendship, a short period of dating, a short engagement, a very happy marriage, and a whole quiver full of arrows. ;)

39 years last week. There have been times I want to ring his neck but I would never consider divorcing him. And I'm positive he's felt the same over the years lol
We've been empty nesters for 20 years now and we like the privacy and quiet. Its nice that if we want to go somewhere or do something we can just go
He has his interests/hobbies, I have mine
We literally are each other's best friends. We've always liked hanging out with each other
People accuse Boomers of being the "me" generation and looking for instant gratification but younger people today are the ones who want "perfect" everything. They want perfect bodies, lives,jobs,friends,etc. And if it isn't then they just quit without even trying. Doesn't work that way.
Life is messy.
You gotta get stuck in and deal with it head on

Exzctly, you gotta really love each other to survive the times when you can't stand each other.

30 years together, 24 years of married life. 2nd go-around for both of us. Her ex deserted her, my ex pretty much the same. Raised 7 kids in a blended family. We found that so long as you're willing to commit, listen and put the other person first, the highs far outweigh the lows. I often wonder why she's chosen to continue putting up with me, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Exzctly, you gotta really love each other to survive the times when you can't stand each other.
That is the best thing I have ever read regarding marriage!! Thanks Meer!

The wife and I have loved each other enough to last since 1990 :)

I met the skinny little hippy across the street in March 1970. I asked her to marry me in June 1970. I was 17 and she was 19.
Next year we will celebrate 50 years together. When it's right it's right.
It hasn't been all roses and sunshine. There have been some rough patches but truth be told they were all my fault.
I could not imagine life without her.

We both had a couple of false starts in the 70s...But when I met Cheryl in 1988, I knew it was going to last, she did too. She lived here with me with an outhouse and handpump from 89 to 2007, when I upgraded to indoor plumbing and a washer/dryer...still off grid, though. If she could put up with an outhouse, handpump and me for 28 years, I knew she was a keeper.

The thing most people don't get is that "LOVE" is a verb and not a noun. Love is something you do and you can do it even when you dislike something they have done.
Love, like hate, takes effort. If you are "in love" that is a bonus that comes from hormones and pheromones. Loving is what makes a marriage last.

Back