Where's winter!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will do my friend,hope this snow stays but....as the ground is still warm I wouldn't bet on it.

Winter's been slow gettin' here too. We look like we are finally about to get some cooler weather (although, with daytime temps in the mid 80's & lower 50's at nite, it hasn't exactly been un-bearable) starting tonite. Looks like we're heading for highs in the lower 60's.....no freezes on the map yet. Likely to get some rain this week as well.

It's coming. Low 30's at night and mid 40's in the day. Got a cold wind blowing today but the sun is shining bright. I can see snow on all the higher peaks around here. Won't be long before we have snow down here too. I'd like to see it hold off for a couple more weeks so I can finish some projects.

14955794_658215407671255_3439541242152117992_n.jpg
just waiting for that ;)

I have a large creek on the back of the property that I've been wanting to tap into. It has never run dry to my knowledge, so should be a good resource. I'm looking for a pump that can use the force of the flow to provide power for the pump, but still have the lift to get up the incline. Electricity is the obvious easy choice, but I want something that will keep working no matter what happens.
http://www.dailyview.co/strong-water-pump-requires-no-electricity/

That's the same thing I built. My problem is with the elevation drop. Even though I live in mountains the creeks don't drop very much on my property. You need the drop to get the water pressure to operate the ram pump. It is a great idea, and has been around since I believe the late 1700's. Once electricity was common people just lost interest in the ram pump as its not super efficient. The 24/7 operation can help offset the lack of volume though.

This morning I had to go out early at 04.30. At the house it was an unbelievable 49 degs. By the time I made it to the bottom of my driveway it was in the mid 20's. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the bottom of my drive. Look's like another sunny day.

looks like winter is deffently here..and we need to go out tomorrow...so i'll be keeping a eye on things..even if it means walking down the road to check out a bridge we'll have to cross while heading out,and coming back home..

Thursday will feature cloudy skies and even some drizzle. Highs will only be in the 40s to near 50 across the south, then falling into the 40s.

Friday, another arctic airmass, along with a weak disturbance will move thru the state giving us the CHANCE of a little light snow or a wintry mix.
Right now, Looks like light snow chances will arrive across the I-30 corridor overnight into early Friday morning. The chances for snow will increase farther south near the I-20 corridor by Friday midday thru Friday night. A light wintry mix will be possible across the central & southern sections. Accumulations look fairly light, with areas along & north of I-20 with a chance for a dusting. Areas near the I-30 corridor will see the potential for amounts up to an inch, mainly on elevated surfaces.
Any wintry precip should quickly come to an end by Friday night, with clearing skies and much colder temps! We will drop into the teens by Saturday morning.
Either way much colder weather returns to the region with this front into the weekend!

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day today. Zero and sunny this morning and no wind. Yesterday we had blowing and drifting snow. This weekend they're expecting a foot of snow.

yeah quiet is good..but so is watching some idiot driving way to fast.and ends up in the ditch,uninjured..then going out and asking.need help? LOL

We are going to get our first taste of winter tomorrow night. They are saying some accumulation, with possibly 6inches in the higher points. I'm looking forwards to the snow, but then it is going to drop to 18 degs. I was dreading the temp drop until I read jonttes and arctics posts. He'll I'm feeling like Florida compared to them!

We are going to get our first taste of winter tomorrow night. They are saying some accumulation, with possibly 6inches in the higher points. I'm looking forwards to the snow, but then it is going to drop to 18 degs. I was dreading the temp drop until I read jonttes and arctics posts. He'll I'm feeling like Florida compared to them!

Lol! You're getting what we're missing. Looks like we'll get a couple inches, but it's gonna be colder than a welldigger's butt until Monday, and not much better then. I guess I'll see about whether or not to go to this weekends prepper show Saturday....

Given that we don't have much for snow removal equipment, maybe I'll test out my new sleeping bag..... close to the fire.
About six years ago there was an ice storm here. The county to my north had 1 snow plow. I'm not sure how many miles of roads, but needless to say it was a mess. I hope they invested in more equipment by now.

About six years ago there was an ice storm here. The county to my north had 1 snow plow. I'm not sure how many miles of roads, but needless to say it was a mess. I hope they invested in more equipment by now.

Actually we had a few years with snow here, so they did spend a little of our money on some stuff, but not much.... we don't have any snow plows around here, but I've seen them use road graders before in a pinch.

Actually we had a few years with snow here, so they did spend a little of our money on some stuff, but not much.... we don't have any snow plows around here, but I've seen them use road graders before in a pinch.
I'm fine with snow, but if it turns to ice, I'm taking a day to relax.

Yep. In 1985 we had about 6 inches of sleet, then about an inch of freezing rain. The high temp for the next couple weeks was 10 frickin degrees... everything was shut down, and I went stir crazy... a day or three is fine, but much more isn't good...

We are getting our cold tomorrow but even today the woodstove has been going. Hadn't heard the heater kick on once but when we get down in the 20s will be the real test to see how it goes. I may end up lighting the fireplace too and just keep them both going. We have about 50% chance of rain for Friday and I plan on being in & out checking on pregnant goats. Going to keep some towels warm & on standby, just in case. With the freezing temps those babes will need help getting warmed up. . And if babes come, hunny will just have to get over it if goats are in the house again!;)

i hope that we do succeed in getting our primary shopping for the month done,if we end up iced in or what ever.on account,we have to go down a hill,cross a bridge (large drain pipe under it),then up another hill.same on way back home..and it's a well shaded area..we have two directions at heading out.in which both directions are like that..

Had to pick the wife up at the airport on Tuesday. It was a 13 hour round trip. It was 5 degs and snowing hard when I left home and didn't see another vehicle on the road until I got to the highway 20 miles away. For the first hour or so on the highway I saw 6 vehicles and three were snow plows. The road goes through several canyons and over a couple of passes and follows a river. It got me thinking that it would be very easy to slide off the road not be seen by passing motorists. With the heavy snowfall it wouldn't take long to cover a stranded vehicle making it impossible to see. This is one of the reasons I carry extra blankets, heavy clothing, food, water and fire making stuff in each of our cars. Prepping isn't only for major disasters but also for any type of problem you may run into.

I haven't seen snow for nearly 8 years, our normal weather here is rain-lots of it and high winds.

Latest posts

Back