Where's winter!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i haven't seen snow since the winter of 2008-09.i sure hope i do see some this winter..
We just had thirty mins of really big fat snowflakes here, but has changed back over to sleet now. I'm seeing predictions of three to four inches now. I've learned to not count the chickens too soon, but am really hoping to see some accumulation. Got the firewood stacked up inside and on the deck, and put away everything that needed it. I think I am just going to kick back for two or three days until it beets above freezing again.

We just had thirty mins of really big fat snowflakes here, but has changed back over to sleet now. I'm seeing predictions of three to four inches now. I've learned to not count the chickens too soon, but am really hoping to see some accumulation. Got the firewood stacked up inside and on the deck, and put away everything that needed it. I think I am just going to kick back for two or three days until it beets above freezing again.

Good luck. They closed EVERYTHING here and it snowed for about 15 minutes....

I knew they'd screw it all up when they started announcing closures yesterday....

Good luck. They closed EVERYTHING here and it snowed for about 15 minutes....

I knew they'd screw it all up when they started announcing closures yesterday....
Ever since Atlanta got iced in they freak out now. One inch of snow and the state will overreact and spend millions. How do they survive up north?

It warmed up to 4 degs today. This morning we had a frozen fog that covered everything in a heavy layer of frost. It's supposed to start snowing tomorrow afternoon and by Sunday night they're expecting a foot or more. The long range forecast is for snow every day for the next 10 days. Ive heard that in some towns they shut down if they get a couple of inches of snow. In my town they have about 4 feet of snow on the ground and the school never canceled a single class. The school buses, most trucks and two wheel drive cars, all use tire chains. About 95% or more of the population have 4 wheel drive vehicles. Most county roads are kept open with truck mounted plows and road graders.

It warmed up to 4 degs today. This morning we had a frozen fog that covered everything in a heavy layer of frost. It's supposed to start snowing tomorrow afternoon and by Sunday night they're expecting a foot or more. The long range forecast is for snow every day for the next 10 days. Ive heard that in some towns they shut down if they get a couple of inches of snow. In my town they have about 4 feet of snow on the ground and the school never canceled a single class. The school buses, most trucks and two wheel drive cars, all use tire chains. About 95% or more of the population have 4 wheel drive vehicles. Most county roads are kept open with truck mounted plows and road graders.
We actually got about two inches last night and it's still snowing. Don't know if it will get warm enough to melt it today or not as 32 is the expected high. People here will panic though. Now tonight when all this freezes I'm smart enough to stay off the roads. You don't see many sets of chains in ga. There only needed about once every ten yrs. I really like living in an area that you get to see a little bit of snow occasionally and then it goes back to comfortable pretty quickly.

nice.from -24C to a mear -5C.....and then came high wind with snow,so a rotten weather :(

( -11,2F -> 23F )

image.jpeg
nice.from -24C to a mear -5C.....and then came high wind with snow,so a rotten weather :(

( -11,2F -> 23F )
I don't think I've ever been in below 0 degrees. I'm lucky enough to be able to say that... This is how I like to view winter, through a window with a good wood fire glowing beside me!
image.jpeg

The leading edge of the cold front has passed us now. Everything is coated with snow and ice still but the sun is shining and it's the most beautiful blue sky you have ever seen. It looks like it will all melt shortly. I just hope it dosent refreeze tonight on the roads. At least I don't have to go anywhere in it.

the Express is always fixated on the weather, either that or health issues.

View attachment 6270 I have both the fireplace and wood burning stove stocked and ready to light with one match. The wood box next to the woodburning stove is packed, and I have more than enough cut and seasoned wood for probably two seasons. The only problem is it hasn't been cool enough to even thing of lighting a fire yet. It's October 31st!!! Still no rain or temperature drop in sight.

well you were wondering where winter was,,,,,it is right here in my backyard,I'll see if I have a box big enough to hold it and I will send it right to you,,,,,,,

We actually got about two inches last night and it's still snowing. Don't know if it will get warm enough to melt it today or not as 32 is the expected high. People here will panic though. Now tonight when all this freezes I'm smart enough to stay off the roads. You don't see many sets of chains in ga. There only needed about once every ten yrs. I really like living in an area that you get to see a little bit of snow occasionally and then it goes back to comfortable pretty quickly.
Normally we get a break in winter where it warms up above freezing and melts some of the snow off. But this year we haven't had more than two days without new snow and haven't had a day above 20 degs since Thanksgiving. I carry two sets of chains on my truck at all times. One day last week I had to chain all 4 wheels to get home. My driveway climbs 800 feet in elevation in just over two miles and a couple places are fairly steep, all is narrow with steep drop offs. The tractor is kept chained all winter and so is the ATV, which also has a plow.
It's been snowing hard since lunch time today.

Normally we get a break in winter where it warms up above freezing and melts some of the snow off. But this year we haven't had more than two days without new snow and haven't had a day above 20 degs since Thanksgiving. I carry two sets of chains on my truck at all times. One day last week I had to chain all 4 wheels to get home. My driveway climbs 800 feet in elevation in just over two miles and a couple places are fairly steep, all is narrow with steep drop offs. The tractor is kept chained all winter and so is the ATV, which also has a plow.
It's been snowing hard since lunch time today.
The few pictures you've posted look like you're in a beautiful place. I'd love to visit one day, but I think I'd pass during winter! I admire your ability to make it work there, but have never been exposed to anything even close to what you seem to handle easily. I guess it's just what you get used to. Either way, I can't imagine a better place to be ready to handle a society meltdown.

View attachment 6435
I don't think I've ever been in below 0 degrees. I'm lucky enough to be able to say that... This is how I like to view winter, through a window with a good wood fire glowing beside me! View attachment 6434
The coldest temp I've ever been in was -83 F ambient with a wind chill of -175 F. This was near the South Pole. Global warming my ass. I hope to never see weather like that again.

The coldest temp I've ever been in was -83 F ambient with a wind chill of -175 F. This was near the South Pole. Global warming my ass. I hope to never see weather like that again.

I was in Pa. back in the early 70s opening day of deer season,,,we had a high of -16 with a wind chill of -79,,,,that is the coldest I have ever seen but compared to your coldest temp,,,,I was in a tropical paradice

In winter 2010 we had 4 days of minus 10 consistently with periods dropping to minus 17, this who part of the UK was one block of ice.

In winter 2010 we had 4 days of minus 10 consistently with periods dropping to minus 17, this who part of the UK was one block of ice.
winter of 2009/2010 we were snowed in for nearly 4 WEEKS, main roads were gritted but ours was not, apart from walking the dog we couldn't go anywhere, road outside was a solid block of ice and snow. haven't seen any snow since then.

The few pictures you've posted look like you're in a beautiful place. I'd love to visit one day, but I think I'd pass during winter! I admire your ability to make it work there, but have never been exposed to anything even close to what you seem to handle easily. I guess it's just what you get used to. Either way, I can't imagine a better place to be ready to handle a society meltdown.
Your always welcome here anytime. This winter has been challenging to say the least. Just about every day I question my decision to camp out here in the winter. I try to make it as comfortable for the wife as possible but she'll only stay here for a few days at a time then go back to her place in Alaska. In these cold temps equipment breaks, pipes freeze, skin freezes, engine's don't start and vehicles get stuck.
Once the house and shop are built over half my problems will be eliminated. I'll have a place to park every thing and keep warm and a place to work on stuff.
It is a beautiful place here and I couldn't think of a better place to be in post SHTF or to just be self sufficient.

I'm happy with the place I picked as well, but would like to be more remote. Eleven years ago this was fairly rural, but has been growing steadily.
I agree, once you get situated a little better it sounds like you will be a lot more comfortable. Having shelter from the elements isn't just a luxury where you are, it's the difference in life and death. I liked what the singer Prince said about living in Minnesota. "I like living here because it's too cold for the bad people".
Speaking of cold, I made a strategic mistake just now. I crept out on the deck and got in the hot tub. I didn't look at the water temp before slipping in. It's Luke warm at best. So now I'm torn between waiting it out for it to heat up, or brrrave the run dripping wet back inside, through 17 degree cold. It's a couple degrees warmer in the tub from when I got in, but it's struggling to catch up. At least I loaded the wood stove before coming out. Normally this is my favorite way to start each day, just not as nice today.

Britain on HEAVY SNOW ALERT: Polar vortex to plunge UK into WORST January FREEZE in years
Councils and health authorities are standing by for the coldest blast of the season to unleash crippling blizzards and weeks of snow chaos NEXT WEEK.

Extreme weather threatens to bring roads and transport networks to a halt while heavy snow could force school closures around the country.

A monster plume of brutally cold air is poised to sweep down from the North Pole next Friday prompting forecasters to re-issue warnings for severe weather.

Britain is facing the worst winter blast since the shockers of 2010 and 2011 when heavy snow, sub-zero temperatures and ice ground the country to a near standstill.

A volatile combination of climatological factors including a La Nina Pacific Ocean cooling and a weakening of the Polar vortex will allow freezing air to flood in from the Arctic region.

The onset of La Nina comes at the tail end of the strongest El Nino on record which set in during the summer of 2015 raising water temperatures around the coast of Peru.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weath...UK_icy_vortex&utm_campaign=WeeklyNews_Express

the express is fixated on the weather, I wouldn't go to much on what you read in the newspapers:p

Flooding problems to mount as storm train aims for California
Life-threatening flooding will continue to wallop northern and central California into the middle of the week.

Several moisture-laden storms will crash onto the California coast, unleashing torrential rainfall and significant snow into Wednesday.

The storm train turned deadly on Saturday as a woman was killed on a golf course by a falling tree in San Ramon, California.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...t-as-storm-train-aims-for-california/70000496

hope all of you in cali are doing good out there..

Latest posts

Back