Why a motorcycle?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildit

Hay Seed Scientist
Neighbor
So as an avid motorcyclist I often find people prepping with military commando sized vehicles that look like urban assault prototypes. Granted these have their place but is a world where fuel is hard to find, mobility is king and being able to repair or jerry rig a vehicle is a necessity, in my book and most of the third world countries motorcycles are king!
I prefer the dual sport bikes which are on and off road capable. They are great fun to ride and can go anywhere a four wheeler can with a skilled rider. But that may be the biggest draw back to motorcycles is that they require some skill and experience. A quad takes little skill and in a few minutes a kid can learn to ride one even if not well.
Here is my SHTF bike I guess. It's not pretty or fast but it's survived 20,000 miles of on and really bad off road riding like a super star.
KLR on Hill.jpg

Kawasaki 2006 KLR650, with IMS 7 gallon tank. Full tank can go about 375 miles on back roads and gravel before hitting reserve. :)

So as an avid motorcyclist I often find people prepping with military commando sized vehicles that look like urban assault prototypes. Granted these have their place but is a world where fuel is hard to find, mobility is king and being able to repair or jerry rig a vehicle is a necessity, in my book and most of the third world countries motorcycles are king!
I prefer the dual sport bikes which are on and off road capable. They are great fun to ride and can go anywhere a four wheeler can with a skilled rider. But that may be the biggest draw back to motorcycles is that they require some skill and experience. A quad takes little skill and in a few minutes a kid can learn to ride one even if not well.
Here is my SHTF bike I guess. It's not pretty or fast but it's survived 20,000 miles of on and really bad off road riding like a super star.
View attachment 1928

Kawasaki 2006 KLR650, with IMS 7 gallon tank. Full tank can go about 375 miles on back roads and gravel before hitting reserve. :)

I really like motorcycles and I agree they do make good SHTF vehicles but not great SHTF vehicles. Too noisy, limited hauling capacity, and too exposed to weather. Your 650 looks great and I owned a street version in the past. I would pick a motorcycle over a bicycle but not over a quad. Not a fan of the trikes either. Not as good as a motorcycle or a quad. As they continue development of the electric motorcycles, then I will be a bigger fan. I think an electric quad would be an ideal SHTF vehicle.

I really like motorcycles and I agree they do make good SHTF vehicles but not great SHTF vehicles. Too noisy, limited hauling capacity, and too exposed to weather. Your 650 looks great and I owned a street version in the past. I would pick a motorcycle over a bicycle but not over a quad. Not a fan of the trikes either. Not as good as a motorcycle or a quad. As they continue development of the electric motorcycles, then I will be a bigger fan. I think an electric quad would be an ideal SHTF vehicle.
Problem with electric small vehicles is the battery. Hard to have a big enough battery for anything over 15 miles. 15 Miles doesn't even get me to the closest city with a grocery store let alone back home.
As for comfort and reliability, I've ridden horses enough to know what they can do and how uncomfortable they can be for long periods especially in bad conditions. But that is where proper gear comes in to play. Another plus to a motorcycle is a road can be totally blocked for a car with just one tree but a motorcycle with a skilled rider can go over or around obstacles easier than a car. For off roading I actually train to go over trees in the trails.

This is my let's be comfy, ride slow, and take in the sights bike.

yYm8mcv.jpg

This is my, I'm outta here, just try to catch me bike.
New seats with driver and passenger backrests to be added before summer.

svziSKq.jpg

Come catch me bikes are fun but can get into trouble really fast (pun intended). This is my "biggest" and most road oriented ride. It'll still go off road and is made to handle adverse conditions.
SANY0010.JPG

Yamaha Super Tenere 1200cc. It's ironic that it only has a 5.5 gallon tank and averages 45mpg, it is blinking and beeping for gas at 180 miles. Max speed is around 120mph. Not ideal for SHTF but it has luggage carriers that would make it useful for supply runs or hunting.

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic and love it, but it's not easy to get my wife and 6 kids (that still live at home), along with my massive amounts of guns, ammo, food and other preps on a motorcycle. Nope, we will stick with the two Tahoes and the motorcycle will have to be left behind. :)

Y,all are braver than I am. Crashed a small bike up when I was a preteen, should have gotten right back on but didn’t. Been afraid to ride one since. Now with my balance issues I wouldn’t be safe unless maybe a trike. They still look cool though

My motorcycle is really just a toy. I don't take out of the city and in reality it rarely leaves my neighborhood. I take the kids on a ride (with helmets of course) around the block or just in our neighborhood a few times each summer. Speeds never exceed about 15-20mph. Every now and then the wife and I go our cruising around town and then maybe out for a steak. My teenage son takes his girlfriend out on it now and then too. That's about it.

My wife bought it for me as a present for my 40th B-Day so I will always keep it. Some years ago I had a custom '99 Kawsasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 and a fully restored '83 Honda CB1000F. We had just bought our house and fully remodeled the upper levels. We had one bedroom for us and one for each child. Then she got pregnant (and knew she wanted even more kids). The basement wasn't finished yet but was gutted out and framing had begun. We had spent most of our liquid savings on the down payment and remodeling and did not want to touch our emergency fund. So I did what a man does; I sold both my motorcycles and quite a few guns and had the entire basement finished off. 3 more bedrooms, a bathroom, a storage closet, a storage room, a family room and my man cave. My wife was greatful but not happy at the same time. When we dated and were first married we cruised around on two wheels quite often. So she started saving, slowly but surely, and purchased the motorcycle from the mother a young man who went off to war and never returned. On my 40th they had me go over to a friend house to get something out of his garage. There it was with a big bow on it.

My motorcycle is really just a toy. I don't take out of the city and in reality it rarely leaves my neighborhood. I take the kids on a ride (with helmets of course) around the block or just in our neighborhood a few times each summer. Speeds never exceed about 15-20mph. Every now and then the wife and I go our cruising around town and then maybe out for a steak. My teenage son takes his girlfriend out on it now and then too. That's about it.

My wife bought it for me as a present for my 40th B-Day so I will always keep it. Some years ago I had a custom '99 Kawsasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 and a fully restored '83 Honda CB1000F. We had just bought our house and fully remodeled the upper levels. We had one bedroom for us and one for each child. Then she got pregnant (and knew she wanted even more kids). The basement wasn't finished yet but was gutted out and framing had begun. We had spent most of our liquid savings on the down payment and remodeling and did not want to touch our emergency fund. So I did what a man does; I sold both my motorcycles and quite a few guns and had the entire basement finished off. 3 more bedrooms, a bathroom, a storage closet, a storage room, a family room and my man cave. My wife was greatful but not happy at the same time. When we dated and were first married we cruised around on two wheels quite often. So she started saving, slowly but surely, and purchased the motorcycle from the mother a young man who went off to war and never returned. On my 40th they had me go over to a friend house to get something out of his garage. There it was with a big bow on it.

Awesome story and an awesome wife. Thanks for sharing and hope you get to enjoy that ride for many years. ATGATT has saved my butt many times even if it didn't stop all the damage.
xray 2010.jpg

I love motorcycles but I cannot own one. I bought the first Honda 350 motorcycle sold in the SF / Bay area. Happen to be in showroom when delivery truck drove up. I also had the first Honda 350 totaled out in the Bay area. I have totaled 2 motorcycles and ran all the Honda shops out of clutch levers. I would crash the bike about once a week and it always broke the clutch lever. I spent so much time in traffic school, I knew the officers teaching it by first name. I am like that Walt Disney cartoon with Goofy getting behind the wheel, Motorcycles turn me into a complete nut case. I don't have that problem with cars, even very fast cars but motorcycles are another story. Kick start engine and disengage brain.

I like the KLR, good friend of mine, his Bro and dad all had KLR's and rode all the time. Good bikes. Very rugged and dependable. I also like the Suzuki V-Stroms. But I think they are more streetable than on the trails.
I used to ride a Suzuki Rm-250 back in the 70's. Mostly fire roads and such, but also quite a few Motocross races and a bunch of endure races. I liked endure much better. It sure made me a better rider.
But like others have pointed out, bikes provide almost no storage and no way to haul any gear that you aren't wearing.

The thing about motorcycles is that you never see one parked outside a shrinks office. :)
But it makes me want to cry when I see parking lots full of them outside bars.

Biker #1 ___"HEY! Let's pick a mode of transportation that requires fast reflexes, good eye hand coordination and good balance and then go do something which takes all that away from me."

Biker #2 ___ "I got an idea too. Let's not wear any helmets, gloves or other gear that would help us in an accident."
51196589-motorcycle-accident-black-simple-icon-on-white-background-for-web-design.jpg

Several of my aunts and uncles had motorcycles on their farms and ranches when I was a kid. It was an inexpensive way to drive around on the land to get messages to and from someone, to check things out and for other various purposes. Now days, people use 3 and 4 wheelers for the same purpose. We were all taught how to drive the motorcycles and would drive up and down the county roads just for fun. These were mostly smaller Hondas. Both of my brothers had motorcycles while they were in h.s., while living with an uncle. They drove them to school when the weather was decent.

I went to Sturgis on the back of a motorcycle many years ago. That was an interesting experience. The thing was that no matter how I braided my hair or tried to tie it up, it was always a snarled mess after a ride. I guess few guys would have that problem. :dunno:

I have thought about a motorcycle as a bug out vehicle, but do know they make enough noise that they cannot be used in a stealth way. You could make great mileage with little gas, better than bigger vehicles. I have seen several varieties of trailers and side cars. There is actually some fun stuff out there that could help with being able to bug out with a motorcycle.

Last edited:
I bought my first cycle when I was 16 and have have many since then. This summer when I moved I sold the Yamaha TW-200 that I owned. Now I am cycle free :(
Some cycles are pretty quiet. Noise is and always has been a big deal with me. I never owned any kind of loud vehicle. I am now trying to decide if I want another bike. There are a lot of back roads around our new place so I have a feeling a cycle might follow me home some day soon :)

Got rid of my last Harley 2 years ago. Ive been riding Dirt Bikes since I was Ten. At 59, it hurts too much to Ride. But I do agree Off Road Bikes make Great SHTF Transportation.

If I go for a Bug out vehicle, it would have to be some form of electric vehicle. I like the idea of a motorcycle for a scout (local area /property) vehicle but again it would have to be an electric vehicle. Solar charging vs. fossil fuel or home brewed fuel/ Also the advantage of very quiet operation. Electric truck for a Bug out vehicle, the need to carry supplies and family rule out motorcycles. JM2C.

If I go for a Bug out vehicle, it would have to be some form of electric vehicle. I like the idea of a motorcycle for a scout (local area /property) vehicle but again it would have to be an electric vehicle. Solar charging vs. fossil fuel or home brewed fuel/ Also the advantage of very quiet operation. Electric truck for a Bug out vehicle, the need to carry supplies and family rule out motorcycles. JM2C.
Something like this?

https://newatlas.com/555-hp-nikola-utv/50965/
Cant figure out the quoats thing lol
555-hp Nikola electric side-by-side tears through dirt for up to 200 miles a charge
OUTDOORS

C.C. Weiss

August 19th, 2017
23 PICTURES

nikola-zero-side-by-side-25.png

Nikola's Zero UTV has evolved and added power

Since I'm already bugged out, I consider my motorcycles more as a bug-in.
To me, they're more for mental therapy, and actually a great form of meditation.

Nothing will clear your head, and put your mind straight like a few hundred mile ride.

I love motorcycles. Some pro's and con's as shtf vehicle. Probably missing a few but these are just off the top of my head.

Cons...
Can't carry much
They are dangerous, especially in a world without medical care
Really need both hands limiting responding to a threat (cover fire while breaking contact)
Exposed to elements requiring more gear with limited capacity
Loud (but there are quieter aftermarket mufflers-don't help too much)
Moving quickly into a potential treat without any protection
Depending on bike- limited in acceptable terrain you travel on (I love klrs)

Pros....
Gas mileage
Simple machines easy to work on (bike dependent)
You can exfil a threat area quickly
With a quiet muffler (does impact performance) and a kill switch for lights you can improve safety of travel.
The correct bike can travel a wide range of terrain (although hurting yourself becomes more likely)
They need much more frequent maintenance and oil than larger vehicles

What did I miss?

Skill - that's one thing you missed. It takes skill to ride a bike at anywhere near the maximum potential.
I have ridden and busted up many bikes. I much prefer 4 wheels to 2. ;)

Latest posts

Back