Why Is 220 Electric Now 240?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
110/220 dates back a long way, 120/240 starts and runs motors more efficiently, also takes less amperes. Our electrical service is 125/250, 125 volts is a bit hard incandescent light bulbs but since I've swapped out all bulbs to LED that's no longer a problem. Our solar backup system has an inverter that puts out 4,000 watts at 120/240 VAC and it can run a well pump if needed and that's an issue for making sure a generator can run a well pump because starting amps can often outstrip the wattage capabilities of smaller generators.

The problem with just saying 220, 240 whatever it takes is that some motors have specific voltage ratings that they run best at, for example I'll throw in another voltage, 208 VAC, they run best at that voltage, when I was working for the local school district the voltage for the high school and elementary was 120/208 three phase and many of the fan motors ran off of one of the phases at 208 volts, motors that were rated for 220 or 240 would not start up as well and would run hot. I had an Industrial Elecrtical license and I could work on any existing electrical devices for the school district.

The problem with just saying 220, 240 whatever it takes is that some motors have specific voltage ratings that they run best at, for example I'll throw in another voltage, 208 VAC, they run best at that voltage, when I was working for the local school district the voltage for the high school and elementary was 120/208 three phase and many of the fan motors ran off of one of the phases 208 volts, motors that were rated for 220 or 240 would not start up as well and would run hot. I had an Industrial Elecrtical license and I could work on any existing electrical devices for the school district. ( I don't know what's going on, if it's my computer or whatever, but I did not double post on purpose, so please forgive this, at this time if I even try to correct something I may end up erasing parts of the script, I've run across this before and it's best I don't mess with anything, I'm lucky just to get this posted without a problem.

Last edited:
To add to the confusion, in an old papermill I worked at, one had to consider the utility's generator wiring - Wye or Delta. This could cause problems at 208v. Not to mention for variable speed motors to power the rollers, they were DC, 4 wire, 2 armature, 2 field. If a DC motor was removed without marking the wires, it would take days to get it back in and wired correctly. (Usually involved waiting for the oldest electrician to come back from his days off...)

It is an old "joke" line from an old movie. The electrician that I used to work with would use that line all the time...

The problem with just saying 220, 240 whatever it takes is that some motors have specific voltage ratings that they run best at, for example ....

To add to the confusion, in an old papermill I worked at, one had to consider the utility's generator wiring - Wye or Delta. This could cause problems at 208v. Not to mention for variable speed motors to power the rollers, they were DC, 4 wire, 2 armature, 2 field. If a DC motor was removed without marking the wires, it would take days to get it back in and wired correctly. (Usually involved waiting for the oldest electrician to come back from his days off...)
I didn't even step into the Delta-Y situation, that can really get things messed up if one doesn't know that it can be in the works, I've seldom ran across Delta situations but I do have a generator expert friend that has many experiences with all kinds of weird electrical systems, I really enjoy listening to his stories since I have a working knowledge of most of what he is saying.

That's where I first heard reference to "2 phase" electricity.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting the electrical stuff to go through the wires.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting the electrical stuff to go through the wires.
Electric theory is a subject where a little knowledge is dangerous.

Latest posts

Back