Wingnut's Crazy 'Trucking Daze' Thread!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
I grabbed one box of scrap books out of the shed, so I can finally get started on my trucking thread. I had to use my digital Canon cam to photograph the old paper pics, so there's some glare in some shots that doesn't really exist in the original pictures. Meh, you'll figure it out... let's start with this hot air balloon coming down in traffic on I-40, the speed limit is 75 m.p.h. and oncoming big trucks are clearly visible, while the nearby power lines carry some juice. Now, I'm no master balloonist, but I could probably find a better place to land!

IMG_7974.JPG

Here's my very first assigned truck when I went solo, a big ol' Freightshaker Condo... I had a lot of good times in this truck, lol.

IMG_7975.JPG

Here's the entrance road to Chimney Rock Park in NC, the shot taken on a beautiful spring day as I was bobtailing up to visit Chimney Rock...

IMG_7976.JPG

A gauntlet of smaller vans & straight trucks on Chicago's West Side... "CLOSE YER EYES AND MASH ON IT!!!" :oops:

IMG_7977.JPG

Another Chi-Town cluster, an everyday occurrence in that burg...

IMG_7978.JPG

Here are three shots of a gnarly doubles wreck on I-85 near the GA/SC line. The recovery or salvage operation was more complicated than usual due to the rig rolling down the embankment. The guys in the wreckers hadn't brought enough water with 'em, and it was starting to get hot, so I gave 'em a couple gallons of cool water from my air-conditioned tractor... then I surreptitiously snapped a few pics, lol.

IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG
IMG_7981.JPG

A shot of fleet trucks waiting on reefer loads in Sherman, TX...

IMG_7982.JPG

Here a driver goes for a "long layover"---blocking traffic in the process, lol.

IMG_7983.JPG

That pesky flash is from my Canon cam as I snap the original paper pic. Can't really do anything about that, just know that it's not really part of the picture. Back in a moment with more pics... :cool:

Round #2 of trucking pics, there I am aboard my ol' blue KW, a friend of mine was riding along and he snapped this shot as we took a break in a picnic area in Montana.

IMG_7984.JPG

Devils Tower shot taken on the same trip... look closely at center right to see two climbers heading up a route. Perfect day for it too, with mild temperatures.

IMG_7985.JPG

A little fuzzy, though the original is clear... 'HOW NOT TO DROP YOUR TRAILER, 101.'

IMG_7986.JPG

For some reason, the landing gear shot is a bit clearer... and yes, the wagon is loaded, lol.

IMG_7987.JPG

Meh, if you're gonna own a Pinto, it might as well be THIS Pinto, lol...

IMG_7988.JPG

Blizzard just setting in while I wait for an IBP load...

IMG_7989.JPG

Boat-haulin' lowboy high-centered and blocking two truck stop entrances & exits near K-Town (Knoxville, TN).

IMG_7990.JPG

The classic hood ornament...

IMG_7991.JPG

Worked this angle at a mill, that equipment is used to grab logs... the operator took a quick break, so I snapped the shot because it looked like the log-grabber was about to devour that Pete, lol.

IMG_7992.JPG

Funny, the Canon cam actually picked up my 'ghost' from the original Western Star pic, lol... however, the flash does not exist in the original.

IMG_7993.JPG

Last edited:
Round #3 of trucking pics, what do we have next? Hmm... here's a cool graphic shot, lol.

IMG_7994.JPG

This rig was totally airbrushed, tractor & trailer, and the pics don't do it justice.

IMG_7995.JPG

IMG_7996.JPG

Here's one for the D.O.T. bears, lol... CRACKERHEAD TRANSPORT!!! :oops:

IMG_7997.JPG

Let's not forget the door detail: "Almost Professionally Driven!"

IMG_7998.JPG

Damn, some people's kids... what's next? Ah, the USS TEXAS!!! The Darth Vader battleship, lol... I did a lot of ship tours during my trucking daze, you'll see more pics like this one later in this thread.

IMG_7999.JPG

Here's a rest area in Echo Canyon, UT... I felt like stretching my legs, so I climbed to this vantage point and snapped this pic.

IMG_8000.JPG

Here's a shot of Echo Canyon itself, the rail line looks like a toy train set, lol...

IMG_8001.JPG

Here we have twister damage in Midwest City, OK, taken after a gnarly twister (possibly F5) hit Moore and Midwest City, killing about 40 people. I wanna say May 3, 1999? The weird thing is that my best friend & I were in OKC that morning, touring the Crystal Bridge Tropical Rainforest Conservatory... we left and headed for my brother's house in Missouri, only to learn about the twister from my brother. At first I didn't believe him, but it was on all the news channels...

IMG_8007.JPG

This block of flats was totally demolished...

IMG_8008.JPG

That's it for now, I'll post more pics later... time to chill out and relax. I have more shots of that twister damage too, I walked the ground a week or so afterward and the place looked like a war zone. Pretty heavy, really, knowing that a bunch of folks died when the twister hit.

Last edited:
Had a T/A and a Petro across from each other, the boat hauler was blocking both, lol... I dug up some more pics, might as well throw a few down. Here we go on the open road...

IMG_8070.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_8074.JPG

IMG_8119.JPG

IMG_8102.JPG

A truckload of old cabovers... and an old school 'coffin sleeper' on the rig hauling 'em.

IMG_8087.JPG

A large hydraulic lift...

IMG_8088.JPG

Two more lifts emptying yam trucks at the Princella plant...

IMG_8089.JPG

"This is where the customer wanted the home, right?"

IMG_8086.JPG

And a fog bank over a river, I think it was the Wabash...

IMG_8085.JPG

Here are some shots taken during a gnarly ice storm that caused wrecks in multiple states... the worst 'skating rink' conditions were on I-70 in Illinois, but the storm moved east clear to PA and beyond. I turned around in PA after delivering a load of lead solder waste, and unrecovered vehicles were still waiting in the ditches... the wreckers had been swamped. This truck entirely blocked the westbound lanes...

IMG_8076.JPG

IMG_8077.JPG

IMG_8078.JPG

IMG_8079.JPG

IMG_8080.JPG

IMG_8071.JPG

IMG_8081.JPG

IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8107.JPG

IMG_8082.JPG

A couple more shots taken in the aftermath of that ice storm...

IMG_8083.JPG

In those days, I didn't normally waste film on 4-wheelers, but this one was upside-down, lol.

IMG_8084.JPG

This shot is from a separate storm, but still with dicey conditions... I'm taking a sandwich break before continuing on toward my destination.

IMG_8072.JPG

Here's a truck with a sailing graphic on the sleeper... worth a couple of pics, lol. Nice three-masted schooner!!! :)

IMG_8105.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG

Back to the desert... here we are in White Sands Nat'l Monument, NM.

IMG_8100.JPG

IMG_8101.JPG

Here's a classic shot of three large hoods and a funky cabover...

IMG_8103.JPG

And two shots of Letchworth State Park on a fine spring day in Western NY...

IMG_8120.JPG

IMG_8121.JPG

Still not seeing any emojis... meh, I can live without 'em. Here are some more pics from the road, including these tractors in "showroom condition!"

IMG_8165.JPG

IMG_8166.JPG

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8168.JPG

Two more drivers opt for that "long layover"---makes it easier for the D.O.T. to check the chassis & trailer frame during roadside inspections.

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG

Two shots of the mighty Columbia River from a vantage point near Maryhill, WA.

IMG_8172.JPG

IMG_8173.JPG

Big ol' Bonnie & Clyde truck, complete with bullet holes, lol...

IMG_8175.JPG

IMG_8176.JPG

Hmm, what else do we have?

IMG_8174.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

Here's a Marten wagon burnt to a crisp, lol...
IMG_8177.JPG

IMG_8178.JPG

Hate it when that happens... here's a marina on an Ohio lake.

IMG_8185.JPG

Big ol' KW 'Dark Shadow'---covered in chrome skulls and chicken lights, lol.

IMG_8189.JPG

Views of the USS Cairo, a Union ironclad sunk near Vicksburg... this ship sat in river bottom mud for over a century before being salvaged and partially restored. Stumbled across her while visiting Vicksburg Nat'l Military Park... I used to walk Civil War battlefields to get a better understanding of what actually happened, and this old ironclad was a bonus. Visitors can step aboard and check out the gun deck... I'm tossing in a historic photo so y'all can see what a 'City Class' Civil War ironclad looked like back in the day.

IMG_8180.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

IMG_8182.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

Let's see what else we have this morning... ah, just the ticket, some shots of Myrtle Beach, SC.

IMG_8186.JPG

IMG_8188.JPG

IMG_8187.JPG

Had a good time in Myrtle Beach, body surfing in nice warm water... delivered a load in nearby Conway first thing in the morning, then spent the day & night in Myrtle Beach. Here's a funky old lamp and a cool antique table seen at an estate auction in Missouri.

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

Tail end of a dust storm near Eloy, AZ... not too clear, but this storm caused multiple wrecks.

IMG_8190.JPG

Shots of Tappan Lake in Ohio, where I spent an enjoyable two hours swimming off that dock and hiking along a short but scenic trail.

IMG_8217.JPG

IMG_8218.JPG

IMG_8219.JPG

IMG_8220.JPG

Time to resurrect this thread, as I'll be posting shots from my photo albums in the near future... same way I'm gonna create that 'Road Safety' thread, lol. Yes, Pearl, it WILL happen, especially with winter coming on, I'll have time on my hands when the cr@ppy weather arrives, lol. I still haven't picked up a paint roller yet, I may just push that whole painting project deadline out past St. Patrick's Day, lol. Meh, I'M THE BOSS here at the ol' hacienda, the painting will get DONE when I good & well SAY it gets done, lol. Technically, I could start rolling paint tomorrow, but I have my primo bike ride to pull with that awesome weather forecast featuring a high around 64* F, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :cool:

P.S. If it weren't for this heller cold snap we've had lately, I might have gotten some painting done already, but you know me, always the perfectionist! Gotta have OPTIMAL CURING TEMPS for that home interior painting, lol... never mind the central heater, I don't run that at night and I'd simply HATE to have the cold low temps INTERFERE with my 24-hour paint drying, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ;)

Dang, this rotgut vino is kicking my @$$, I took a break from partying yesterday but it seems to have made things WORSE, lol. I may not even finish the bottle of wine (gasp!), as I'm starting to get hungry and those leftovers in the fridge are calling my name, lol. Good thing that rotgut vino comes with a fake cork, though truth be told, I find the metal screw caps to be FAR CLASSIER!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn. Sometimes I just slay myself... 😒
MEH, I'M HAVING A GOOD TIME, PLUS I'M GOING RIDING TOMORROW, SO I'M A HAPPY CAMPER!!! :dancing:

Last edited:
Nice pics! I always try to find a couple trucks to tail if I'm on the interstate. I was headed east out of Indigo CA one night, I-10. With a navy buddy in his Camaro, Houston bound.

3 trucks passed me doing about 100. We just filled up so I floored it. I stayed with them until some where in NM. They only slowed down once to about 90, maybe 5 miles, then cranked it back up.

I'm a civil war guy too!! Stopped at Vicksburg once also. That boat looks very familiar. Lived in TN which is covered with battle fields. Over a dozen little cemeteries within 10 miles, 3 major battles within 20miles of my home.

I have a book the details every battle Nathan b. Forrest was in. It's also a metal map if anyone wishes to go exploring civil war battle fields. I spent a couple days walking over the Shiloh battle field with this book in my hand. It brought the battle to life. The others are also great reads if you're into military history...

Can't seem to keep a copy of Sun Tzu, 3rd one I've bought.

Tactics (3) sm.JPG

Forrest was a hell of a general. I've got a book on him, but not that one.
I've done parts of Chickamauga battle field like that over near Chattanooga, lLookout Mountain as well. Kennesaw Mountain was another one I enjoyed walking and studying about.
Need to get a thread going about those

I've done the walkabout tour of Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, another siege like Vicksburg... it's so much different when ya walk the ground and see what the troops had to overcome. I hiked up toward the summit of Lookout Mountain, and that was a good grind, especially if you had to carry a rifle (or musket) and gear! Then ya had the musket balls and rocks being thrown your way by Confederate troops, lol... definitely not an easy place to take. :rolleyes:

Many of my photos are clearer than some of those I already posted here, the trick is to get the camera angle right as I photograph old pics. It'll be a daytime job, but NOT today, as we have gorgeous weather here and I'm going for a ride. But no worries, since Old Man Winter is coming on, I'm sure I'll find time to post shots later and also create my 'Road Safety' thread, that's something I'd like to do because it might help youngsters (like Spikedriver's daughter) be safer on the road. :oops:

Two shots of the mighty Columbia River from a vantage point near Maryhill, WA.
The first picture looks more like a shot from Vantage, WA up stream from the Hanford Nuclear Reservation then from Marryhill.
Notice the different bridges.
We launch the boat from Marryhill State Park and fish down stream.

One shot is looking up the river, one is looking down... but that IS the road leading up out of Maryhill, WA, as one travels north. Of course, there's a "switchback trail" of pavement leading up out of the Columbia River Valley at that point. I just checked my trucker's atlas, and that road is US-97. Cheers! :cool:

Don't know how I missed this thread before, but I enjoyed the pics. The dust storm at Eloy brought back memories. I was working nights on the tracks, somewhere between Gila Bend and Wellton. The machine I was running at the time was an old, open cab anchor squeezer. It sat low, with 4 posts and a canopy. Sometime before first light, a sandstorm rolled through. I covered my face with a bandana and ended up just staying put for about 15 minutes. The sand blocked out everything - I could barely see the yellow strobe beacons on the machine a hundred feet ahead of me. And then the storm was over, just as fast as it started. For a midwesterner that was a surreal experience...

Backlash, I searched the web and found views of the bridges in Vantage & Maryhill... you're right about the first shot, that IS the bridge in Vantage, I must have mistakenly combined pics from two different trips, lol. What about that second pic? That looks *kinda* like the Maryhill bridge I saw on the web... but I could've sworn I took these pics at the same time, so maybe that's a second bridge in or near Vantage? Meh, so much has happened since those days, it only makes sense that a statistical chance of messing up would occur, lol. You're definitely right on the first pic, and possibly the second... my memory is telling me that I took both pics in the same location, but my memory may be slipping with age, lol. OR one pic could be Vantage, the other Maryhill... hard to say from where I'm sitting on the outskirts of Alamogordo, lol. And I forgot that they call that river valley the Columbia River Gorge, it has been that long since I was up there in a big rig. Good eye for noting that discrepancy, I must have killed too many brain cells over the years, lol... :oops:

Spikedriver, I had perfect timing on one trip and pulled into an enclosed truck bay at Speedco in Eloy just before a huge sandstorm hit, lol. The storm caused heaps of wrecks, mostly fender-benders, and I needed to have the truck serviced anyway (simple oil change in a company truck), so my timing was good. By the time the guys at Speedco had finished with the service, the sandstorm had passed and the skies were clear. Site members here who've never been through a sandstorm, know that they can be very dangerous... best thing to do is get off the road entirely by taking an exit and finding a place to ride out the passing storm. The shoulder is NOT a safe place, as drivers who can't see may still plow into your vehicle. Some rookie truck drivers feel pressured to drive on despite bad weather... a bad mistake. :oops:

The advice I always gave my nieces & nephews was this: in ANY bad weather---sandstorm, heavy fog, blinding rain or hail---get off the road and stay put in a safe place until the worst is over, as weather WILL eventually pass and conditions will improve. I remember jumping off in Amarillo, TX, one time because the dangerously high winds (70 m.p.h. gusts) were throwing my empty 53' wagon all over the road (I-40). I jumped off, spent the night at the Armadillo Petro, and woke the next morning to calm clear weather. Sometimes, ya just gotta roll with the punches and ride out bad weather in a safe location. As they say: "Discretion is the better part of valor!" The way I looked at it, NO truckload of freight was worth my life or the lives of others on the road. If some company jackhole squawked about it, I told him it was a safety issue. 😬

Thing was, I could usually make up the lost time later, and I was a hard runner to begin with so I often had a "cushion" of time to help me in such circumstances. Worst-case scenario, I juggled logbooks on my way into the pick or drop. Rarely did I ever have to ask a company to change an appointment... in fact, I can't think of one instance, but I do recall being late for a delivery one time due to heller traffic and wrecks in Chicago. No big deal, the receiver didn't need that truckload of freight right away, and I was only two hours late when I arrived in Milwaukee. Same day delivery, no problem, and I learned to go through big metro areas at 0300 if I had any choice, lol. Even at that hour, there will be traffic in those areas, but at least the traffic will be moving, lol. Meh, just another day in the crazy transportation industry! A separate reality... 🙄

Backlash, I searched the web and found views of the bridges in Vantage & Maryhill... you're right about the first shot, that IS the bridge in Vantage, I must have mistakenly combined pics from two different trips, lol. What about that second pic? That looks *kinda* like the Maryhill bridge I saw on the web... but I could've sworn I took these pics at the same time, so maybe that's a second bridge in or near Vantage? Meh, so much has happened since those days, it only makes sense that a statistical chance of messing up would occur, lol. You're definitely right on the first pic, and possibly the second... my memory is telling me that I took both pics in the same location, but my memory may be slipping with age, lol. OR one pic could be Vantage, the other Maryhill... hard to say from where I'm sitting on the outskirts of Alamogordo, lol. And I forgot that they call that river valley the Columbia River Gorge, it has been that long since I was up there in a big rig. Good eye for noting that discrepancy, I must have killed too many brain cells over the years, lol... :oops:
One is Maryhill and the other is Vantage.
Both pictures were taken facing downstream.
Bridges over the Columbia River are few and far between so it's easy for me to tell which is which.

Okay, I made it back to this thread... "Call CNN!!!" ;)

Oh, wait, don't waste a dime calling those pogues!!! Any of youse H&CL heroes remember when phone calls cost a dime on a public phone? I can still remember movies costing a QUARTER at the JUSMAG Theater north of Athens, Greece, lol. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I promised to post some pics of the Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine, Kalifornia: Joel mentioned the Clint Eastwood film 'JOE KIDD' in that Robert Duvall thread, and much of the movie was filmed in the Alabama Hills. However, I don't wanna bog down the Duvall thread, so I'll simply post these pics here. I need to start posting more pics in this thread, I have a thousand photos (or more), lol... but today, we visit the Alabama Hills! :)

Now, just to set the scene, lemme tell ya what was going on in the transportation industry. I had an easy weekend run planned, and I picked up a load in Fernley, Nevada, on Friday morning; the load delivered in L.A. on Monday, so as the shipper was loading my wagon I studied my trucker's atlas to see what sort of "paid tourism" I could find along the way, right? I might add that the weather was absolutely gorgeous, and slated to stay that way over the entire weekend. :cool:

My first thought was literally to 'free solo' the East Face of Mt. Whitney, which is the tallest peak in the Lower 48... a friend of mine had climbed it while roped, and he said it was pretty easy, like a series of stacked granite blocks. I decided to roll from Fernley straight to Lone Pine, find a bivouac site in the Alabama Hills, and get closer to my main objective, which was Mt. Whitney. I should add that I was an experienced technical rock climber & mountaineer at this point in my life. 😬

Well, everything went according to plan, and by mid-afternoon on Friday I was parked next to a small lumber yard and hardware store in Lone Pine. I bought some beer at a store across the street, then walked into the hardware store to ask about dropping my wagon next to their fence... they had some equipment parked there, you understand, so my trailer would blend in nicely, and all I had aboard the rig as freight were worthless newspaper inserts, go figure. 😒

I had a beer or two with the guy working the hardware store (the owner), who readily agreed to let me park the wagon there for a couple of nights, then I dropped said wagon and stocked up on fresh food, more beer, etc. By 1500 hours, I was rolling outta Lone Pine and heading toward the nearby Alabama Hills, intent upon having a good time. There are dirt roads which lead out to the various outcrops, the same dirt roads used by film crews to get into position to make movies, 10-4? 🙃

I cruised around in the dirt with my "power divider" on until I found a perfect "rock cove" which had my name all over it... it's the cove you see in the link below, second pic on the first page of that old thread. I had to back up a skinny little dirt road to reach the point in the picture, but once I was parked, it was PARADISE! Nobody else around, perfect sunny weather in the 70s, I was in trucker heaven wearing nothing but shorts, boots & sunglasses, cold beer in hand, lol. 😁

Random outdoor adventure shots...

[Note: Click link as many times as necessary to bring up the photos...] :eek:

I even pulled my 3-D archery target (red fox) out of the side box of my tractor and played with my recurve bow for a bit, as the setting was phenomenal, lol. I also donned my climbing shoes & chalkbag to pull a recon of the outcrop which towered above my tractor. Did some great "bouldering" in the warm afternoon sun, then dropped down to my truck to party... scrounged some wood too so I could have a nice campfire that evening! Some folks had courteously left a pile of wood, you understand. 😍

Anyway, I had the ultimate bivouac site with a primo view of Mt. Whitney, plenty o' gourmet food & beer, I was STYLIN' & PROFILIN', lol. Truck stereo was CRANKED, of course, with the doors and slider windows wide open... no idling necessary in that perfect weather. IIRC, it was a fine day in early May, so the weather could NOT have been nicer for that area. The only bummer: no chance of climbing Mt. Whitney, as the forecast said the snow level was down to 12,000' elevation. 😢

No worries, I simply decided to spend the first night (Friday) in the Alabama Hills, then go explore Horseshoe Meadow at 10,000' elevation and see about bivouacking up there on Saturday night, aye? Which is exactly what I did, burning company fuel the whole time, lol. I was NOT a model employee in that respect, lol... the way I saw it, it was my RIGHT to burn company fuel whenever I wasn't actually dragging freight for the company. Perks of the job, one might say... 🤪

Anyway, let's get to the pics, as they are pretty cool. I gotta tell y'all, the clarity suffers a bit when I take pics of old paper photos, so bear with me... I once scanned every trucking photo I have and posted 'em at a different site, but I no longer have a scanner, and I wouldn't wanna repeat that process, lol, so these pics are whatcha get. Meh, the price is right, so quit yer b!tchin', lol. Let's get on with our tour of the Alabama Hills, where over 300 movies have been made, mostly Westerns. 🤠

IMG_5568.JPG

Okay, that's my 10-ton RV... er, I mean "road tractor" parked in the very same position you saw it in that linked thread, only now you're looking down upon the tractor from a point high on the rock outcrop. You can see the network of dirt roads used by campers & film crews over the years. Look closely at upper right and you'll see the distant switchback road leading up to Horseshoe Meadow... I drove that road the following day, lol. Here are some views of the nearby Sierras and Mt. Whitney as seen from the nearest outcrop and my bivouac site:

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

I should tell y'all that I was gonna trim these pics using the camera, but I didn't wanna lose any part of the views... 🤔

IMG_5570.JPG

There's Mt. Whitney, not the prominent peak just left of center in the photo, but the peak further to the right... it looks lower, but that's an optical illusion, since Mt. Whitney is actually farther away, and higher too. Next, we have shots taken the following morning as I rolled toward Horseshoe Meadow, discovering a primo rock valley on the way... in that little rock valley, the original 'GUNGA DIN' film was made, there's even a monument dedicated to the film and location. 😀

IMG_5572.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5571.JPG

Primo spot, yeah? Look at those wildflowers! And nobody else around, I had the valley to myself, lol. In the next shot, you see a distinctive rock ridge which appeared in the original 'GUNGA DIN' film, that bird-like topper or mini-spire to the upper left can easily be seen in the black & white film classic. 🤩

IMG_5573.JPG

Okay, here's the view from the entrance (or exit) to that little rock valley between two ridges... you're looking back the way I came from my first night's bivouac site, 10-4? We're about to turn the opposite way and continue our ascent to Horseshoe Meadow at 10,000' elevation, but we're gonna see some cool stuff along the way... just as soon as I grab another cold beer, lol. I'll start another post to finish the tour, as I'll reach the pic limit with this next shot. CHEERS! 🍺

IMG_5588.JPG

Edit: I just realized that some of those shots taken from or near my first bivouac site were taken the following morning, which is why the shadows are caused by the sun to the east... I must have climbed back up on that nearby outcrop to get the shots. In fact, now that I think about it, I probably didn't even have the camera on me the first time I pulled a recon, and I must have taken the camera up again the following morning to ensure that I recorded the site and views for posterity, lol. Meh, small potatoes, but I like to cover all the bases... it was an awesome bivouac site, that's for sure. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Okay, I went back to take a closer pic of that monument, and I found a shot I had missed... it's a view from the outcrop above Friday night's bivouac site:

IMG_5606.JPG

Pretty friggin' awesome, aye? Lol. Here's the best I could do with the monument, the Canon cam was NOT helpful... 😒

IMG_5605.JPG

Alright, let's get back on the road to Horseshoe Meadow, that switchback road which y'all saw earlier... it offers heller views of the Owens Valley! Here's one of 'em! 😁

IMG_5575.JPG

I rolled around a curve as the road crossed the ridge and I saw this group of hang gliders & pilots gathered round a launch point at roughly 9000' elevation... might have been a tad higher. 🙄

IMG_5576.JPG

Here's their launch point, lol. I must say, since I was on "vacay" I found a parking spot and walked back to talk to a few of these hands, and they were friggin' hilarious! Some of these men & women regularly launched from this point, and they soared for HOURS along the eastern escarpment of the Sierras... one guy told me his record was SIX HOURS! 😳

IMG_5577.JPG

All the glider pilots had to do was step off and they'd instantly soar, this valley is steeper than it looks in the photo. Those trees down there are taller than ya might think. Not a bad launch point, I would've dug going for a flight, but they had their own plans and so did I, so I just enjoyed their company for a few moments before heading onward & upward to Horseshoe Meadow. Here's my truck parked in the lot at Horseshoe Meadow:

IMG_5581.JPG

There are walk-in campsites in the trees at left, but of course I didn't need one of those... as soon as I parked, my campsite was chosen, lol. I put the truck in the shade of one tree because I intended to go on a hike, and once the truck was secured the interior of the cab & sleeper would get hot under the blazing sun at 10,000 elevation. For my hike, I decided to suss out the meadow and make my way toward a granite crag rising above the trees in the distance... I took my climbing shoes & chalkbag along in my lightweight Lowe Alpine 'summit pack' as I intended to put 'em to good use, which I eventually did. Here's the hiking trail with a tall forked tree growing directly alongside, lol... 😬

IMG_5582.JPG

And here's aptly-named Horseshoe Meadow, which curves round like a horseshoe... there was still snow on the ground, and the snow melt was draining off the meadow as I hiked past. 😎

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

Here's the primo granite crag I reached after 30-40 minutes of hiking... it was such a perfect day that I decided to pull a "tribute solo" to a deceased climbing partner who had recently died an untimely & unrelated death. That was Little Jon, the master archer who lived out in Deerhorn Valley in East San Diego County, a good friend and former skateboarding pal who learned to climb with me, you understand. He died in the South Pacific (American Samoa) at age 41. 😢

IMG_5583.JPG

A "tribute solo" is where a climber wears nothing but shorts, climbing shoes, chalkbag & sunglasses (on a goon cord), laying everything on the line as a way of showing the ultimate respect, aye? Despite the talus seen at the base of this crag, the rock itself was perfectly solid granite, good as gold to a climber & soloist... I chose a route which led up the left side of this face, toward that overhang seen at upper left. You might get a better look at it in the next pic, but as luck would have it, I've already reached the limit for this post, so I'll have to come back in a moment with the last pic of this tour. However, my solo was awesome, the views from the crag were magnificent, but of course I had my hands full and couldn't be bothered to take pics on the crag itself... no future in that, not when each hand should be on a hold unless it's being moved, 10-4? Back in a moment with the final pic, it shows my route a little better, I think... 🤔

Last edited:
Okay, here's the final shot of the tour! 😁

IMG_5584.JPG

That's an oblique view of the crag face, and you can better see the overhang I already mentioned, what climbers call a "roof" with a "splitter crack" leading directly up through it... truth be told, once I reached that overhang and looked up at it from holds immediately below, I could not tell whether the route got "thin" above the overhang, so I wisely chose to circumnavigate the obstacle, heading up and right instead, lol. Hey, it might have been a "tribute solo" but I wasn't about to DIE on it, lol. This was what climbers refer to as an "on-sight solo"---meaning the climber has never done the route in question, but it looks so good that he (or she) is willing to try it anyway. That might seem crazy to some folks, and many solos are indeed done by climbers who have already completed the route while roped, so they feel confident enough to tackle it while unroped. 😳

My "tribute solo" turned out to be the highlight of the whole weekend, though I also had heller fun doing other things, lol. The sun was shining, the sunlit rock holds were warm & solid, I wore my Sportivas (climbing shoes) with a fresh sock change, my hands were all chalked up and I was ready to go... my chosen route flowed smoothly and I finished the solo in 10 or 15 minutes, I don't really know the exact elapsed time because I didn't wear a watch, lol, and I also occasionally stopped on secure ledges or solid "bombproof" holds to look around at the scenery, which was absolutely magnificent! I could even smell the resin from the evergreen trees, it was such a glorious day! And once my solo was finished, I simply walked off the backside of the crag, no need to pull any risky downclimbing, which is ALWAYS more difficult due to gravity and the fact that you can't see your holds as well. 😕

But my fun did NOT end there... swapping footgear, I retraced my hike back to the parking lot, where I met a couple of climbers, including R.C. (or Ron Collins), who worked on a guidebook for the Alabama Hills and put up an astonishing number of routes himself, lol. There were a large number of documented routes or "boulder problems" in the Alabama Hills at that time, and ol' R.C. put up many of those, yeah? So that was a fun conversation, beer in hand... most climbers can & will readily share classic anecdotes with one another, it's the nature of the sport. We talked for 10 minutes before R.C. and his climbing partner split, and I walked back to my nearby truck to change into something more comfortable for the coming evening. As soon as I changed, I noticed a vehicle circling the lot, a couple looking for a campsite for the night, aye? 🤔

So, after they chose a walk-in campsite and got their tent set up, I walked over to introduce myself... as you may recall, I had scrounged wood down in the Alabama Hills, and I still had some burly logs and smaller stuff strapped down on the catwalk of my tractor. I didn't need a campsite, but I was certainly willing to share the firewood with these campers if they were so inclined. Needless to say, the Burbank couple & I shared a nice fire and had dinner right there, partying the whole time, and I eventually crawled off to my tractor, which was only 50 or 60 yards away, lol. I slept in the following morning, then drove down to Lone Pine to retrieve my wagon, which was still sitting there by the lumber yard. I had taped notes on each end of the 53' trailer, saying that there were only newspaper inserts aboard, no market value... keeping thieves honest, lol. 😒

Anyway, I hooked my wagon, brought my "comic book" up to speed (Driver's Daily Log as required by the D.O.T.), and headed for L.A. so I could be in position to unload my freight first thing Monday morning. The entire weekend had been SO FUN, it wasn't like I was even "working" at all, lol. If anything, I was totally f#%ng off and burning company fuel, and I've always been GOOD at doing THAT, lol. Meh, the lousy stinking newspaper inserts still got delivered on time, and I had an ABSOLUTE BLAST even though I never did climb the East Face of Mt. Whitney, lol. But I still got to do a PRIMO FREE SOLO on a granite crag high above Horseshoe Meadow, and perhaps that was EVEN BETTER than a crowded Whitney climb, lol. Sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow and make the most of what's available to ya, 10-4? No regrets here... 😎

Last edited:
Gonna throw down some pics randomly chosen from my first scrapbook, starting with shots of USX tractors & trailers in the OKC yard. 😒

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5776.JPG

Here's the truck I drove during my training cycle... after truck driving school in San Diego, I was hired by USX and I went to OKC to be paired up with a trainer. I lucked out with the trainer, he was younger than I but he really knew his $h!t, since he hailed from a long lineage of truck drivers. We were both ex-military too, which certainly helped us to get along. Our assigned truck was nothing fancy, a big ol' Freightshaker Condo with a Super 10 transmission... not my first choice of transmissions, but the truck served our purpose and I learned a lot during the next two months. :)

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

Here's my trainer talking to a fleet mechanic in the shop... as team drivers, we were often given FedEx loads, so I'm tossing in a couple of related shots. A lot of "air freight" is flown for a distance, then trucked the rest of the way. After I upgraded to solo driver, the company put me on a number of solo FedEx runs, 550 miles or less, as they knew by then that I was reliable and would get the job done. It's very important to be on time with such loads, otherwise the company gets hit with fines or penalties or whatever. :confused:

IMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5782.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG

Here's some other driver's rig with a classic bug screen over the grille... :cool:

IMG_5781.JPG

Latest posts

Back