Wood cutting board has cracks between the boards

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There would be so little area where food could come in contact with the glue it probably doesn't matter.
That said I would use 2 part Gorilla epoxy.
Oil the board with mineral oil after you finish and it should be good for years more usage.
https://resin-expert.com/en/guide/best-food-safe-glue
Is Gorilla glue food safe? While two-part epoxy adhesives can be toxic during the curing process and/or while in their two-part state, once they have had a chance to cure completely, they are 100% food safe. Is Gorilla glue food safe then? Yes! You can use this glue on pretty much any surface you can think of, so whether you have cracked your favorite mug or managed to break your spatula in a fit of rage, Gorilla glue is perfectly safe to use.

I stopped using wooden cutting boards and wooden knife holders a while back. For similar concerns about contaminants, bacteria, etc. You really can't clean them adequately (although I never, to my knowledge, got sick eating food that had been prepared on one). Better safe than sorry though. I feel safer with a food safe plastic cutting board these days. I hand wash with dish soap right after use, then run it through the dishwasher after that. I have separate cutting boards for meat, fruits and vegetables, and "other" (bread, sandwiches, etc.) I manage to use the correct cutting board about 90% of the time. :confused: The meat cutting board - being the giant one - always gets used appropriately, but the others sometimes get swapped either accidentally or due to laziness.

We use the thin plastic cutting boards.
One is reserved for chicken.
I have a huge bamboo cutting board for turkeys.
My personal opinion is the risk of food poisoning is overblown.
Yes, people can and do get sick from improper food handling but at home the risk is minimal IMHO.
Street food in 3rd world countries didn't kill me so I'm pretty confident at home.
I would NOT eat anything my SIL made at home because she was a slob.
May she RIP.

I have the plastic type. For many years I had a wooden one. I hadn't even thought about it until now. It must have fallen apart long ago. I think the plastic type are easier to sterilize in a dish washer or even hand washing it in the sink.

Jewish people have laws about what foods they can cook and eat at one meal if they keep a kosher kitchen. They have special cooking pans for certain types of foods. They have a set of 4 cutting boards that are color coded and they use particular colors for particular types of food.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/kosher-colors-kitchen-37053880

I had two beautiful 2” thick commercial wood cutting boards. I came home one day to find my wife had thrown them out and replaced them with plastic, “so the didn’t poison us.” I, not so politely nor quietly, explained that wood had a natural antibacterial quality to protect the tree. All you had to do was to keep the wood clean. Plastic didn’t have that protection and if the impregnated the plastic with poison it would make you sick. The microcuts in the plastic would harbour bacteria and is nearly impossible to wash out. A few years later the wife read the same information from a reliable source (in other words, not from me). The plastic magically disappeared and was replaced with cheap 1/2” thick cutting boards.

I my experience the splitting is due to improper alignment of the wood grains, a natural flaw in the wood, or other construction deficits. I made a wood chess board that has a crack that opens and closes as the dumidity changes. You might mix sawdust, of an appropriate color, with the glue of your choice, and fill the crack. Whatever you decide to do I would expect to experience another crack in the same area. You may be lucky, it doesn’t hurt to try.

Oil the board with mineral oil after you finish and it should be good for years more usage.

Great advice. Give the wood as much mineral oil as it'll readily absorb, then do it again the next day. It keeps food juice from soaking in, keeps water from soaking in when you wash it, keeps the wood from shrinking and splitting at the glue joints as it dries out, and if there's already a split starting it'll make the wood expand and close the split. Works great on wood knife handles too.

How about if we don't soak the wood cutting board in a sink full of water, that TBK is the cause of most wood cutting board failures

How about if we don't soak the wood cutting board in a sink full of water, that TBK is the cause of most wood cutting board failures
Yep, but I gave up on the battle. A man has got to know his limitations.

When it comes down to item A vs. item B, it makes more sense to me to choose the one that works just as good, is cheaper, equally durable (or maybe even more durable), and is easier to clean and maintain. Nostalgia might be a reason to choose A over B, but not for me, at least not regarding cutting boards. I'm not against wooden cutting boards at all - I just don't want one personally.

Latest posts

Back