“Chaos comes in grades and flavors...”

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long pork, like so many other societal restrictions, is extremely dangerous. So many diseases can be transmitted to humans from humans that you are literally playing Russian Roulette.

Having said that, if I die and you are looking at starvation, help yourself. If you kill me to feast then that is totally different. Dahmer can roast for eternity.

There are numerous cases of groups surviving because of cannibalism. In 1972 a flight went down in the Andes with a rugby team aboard. Everyone knows of the Donner Party. There are numerous shipwreck situations. I don't hold a grudge against these people. As horrendous as it would be if I looked at my situation and considered myself dead by starvation I can't say that I wouldn't participate. I can't imagine that I would sleep well after.

I agree that in the most extreme circumstances, "Long Pork" could appear on the menu. As Caribou pointed out, it is one thing to utilize the dead /dying and a completely different thing to go hunting for "Long Pork". I also think that in a severe SHTF event (no rule of law), there will be those like Dahmer who will start hunting humans. Sad and scary thought but not without historical precedence. There are as many mental illness's that are benign but there are also many that show no apparent signs and can be lethal. These mental conditions left unchecked by law and order, are the most dangerous to the "Good Samaritan". The good guy neighbor maybe nice only because the Sheriff will haul his butt off to jail if his lives out is fantasies. Think and plan and know how you would react to a given situation is essential to survival. I would not wait for the grocery store to close to learn how to plant crops, why would I wait to think about human interaction during a SHTF event?

Long pork, like so many other societal restrictions, is extremely dangerous. So many diseases can be transmitted to humans from humans that you are literally playing Russian Roulette.

Having said that, if I die and you are looking at starvation, help yourself. If you kill me to feast then that is totally different. Dahmer can roast for eternity.

There are numerous cases of groups surviving because of cannibalism. In 1972 a flight went down in the Andes with a rugby team aboard. Everyone knows of the Donner Party. There are numerous shipwreck situations. I don't hold a grudge against these people. As horrendous as it would be if I looked at my situation and considered myself dead by starvation I can't say that I wouldn't participate. I can't imagine that I would sleep well after.

Cajuns like myself will eat anything that don't eat us first, but long pork is where I draw the line. Period. I am firmly committed to die rather than go that route.

I must say I am still shocked at how many people PLAN on including it in their menu, in a prolonged SHTF environment.

Let me clarify. Long pork is not a part of my plan. Neither are insects. I know that historically people have chosen to go down this path. I don't toss the idea out entirely but only move it to the bottom of the list. I respect the decision of anyone that keeps this option totally off the table.

I have a hard time believing there are many that plan on it being part of an acceptable diet in a bad situation.

We have Dahmar during normal time and with laws enforced. When the Walmartians run out of food and the gangs run out of food & drugs, there will only be some much food available to plunder. How many families can go a full month without going to the grocery store? What happens when the welfare card mens nothing, as there is nothing to buy? What happens to the mental cases when their drugs run out and they are starving? Do I plan on consuming Long Pork, absolutely NOT. Do I think it could or would happen, again absolutely Yes. Desperate people make desperate choices and then convince themselves they were forced to do it OR were entitled to do it because they are important. Rationalization will allow many folks to do the most despicable actions and then wash and repeat over and over simply based their own needs. All through history there have been the "Saints and the Sinners". During a major SHTF, these groups are going to move in extreme opposite directions. Both groups will be an extreme minority and the general surviving population will be caught in the middle.

I have a hard time believing there are many that plan on it being part of an acceptable diet in a bad situation.

Shoot, the long pork topic is so commonplace that it was mentioned in the comments section of the zerohedge link in post #27. That's not even a survival site; it is mostly a financial site for money guys, lol.

The harder core survivalists sites are where it is discussed at some length...from a gastronomical viewpoint. Ugh.

One thing they can't take away from you is knowledge. If they don't kill you right off if you have a sustainable way to grow food especially beans and potatoes you can live if they take your preps if you can survive long enough to harvest.
A greenhouse structure prolongs the growing season. Plus plant hardy crops in a wooded area if you have access to one.
You can eat acorns if you have to and certain roots. Water is most important because you die sooner from dehydration than starvation.

Learn foraging in your area. It is something that will always be there though if others are foraging also then the pickin's might be rather sparse.
Planting a garden is great but in the situations like we are discussing, a garden is going to be iffy at best. Even if Mother Nature grants you good weather for growing there is still the human element that can steal or ruin your garden.

Learn foraging in your area. It is something that will always be there though if others are foraging also then the pickin's might be rather sparse.
Planting a garden is great but in the situations like we are discussing, a garden is going to be iffy at best. Even if Mother Nature grants you good weather for growing there is still the human element that can steal or ruin your garden.

We get back to the four needs. Food, Water, Shelter and Defense. If any one of the four is lost, then deep doo-doo is sure to follow. We need to plan and learn to maximize each of the four elements. Food, grown, forage for food, raise food (critters) and hunt for food. Water, streams, lakes, rivers, cisterns, and wells. Shelter, -- too many types to list. And last but certainly not last, the ability to protect you, your families and your assets. Each of these four element produce their own very unique problems, depending on their location of the needs of the survivors. Each of eh four elements provide benefit and also risk. It is up to us all to do what we can to maximize the benefit and minimize the risk. There is no one size fits all, which is the beauty of this forum, we get to share our different perspective and learn from each other.

The eating of "long pork" in civilized times is viewed as evil, eating it during times of upheaval is just plain dangerous!! The danger of contracting a sickness from consuming an unhealthy ,infected food source is monumental. And not to add ,trying to harvest healthy long pork has its own inherent dangers!!

The eating of "long pork" in civilized times is viewed as evil, eating it during times of upheaval is just plain dangerous!! The danger of contracting a sickness from consuming an unhealthy ,infected food source is monumental. And not to add ,trying to harvest healthy long pork has its own inherent dangers!!

ssonb, good point.:I agree::great:

What he ate killed him, that may be what's said after someone eats me, I probably harbor all kinds of nasty stuff, one of them is probably "beaver fever", from drinking in mountain springs and streams. Dahmar was one sick puppy, I was sorry that I had even read the article in the newspaper about what he had done.

Latest posts

Back