A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me, too.
We had a morning staff meeting with our teaching staff at our preschool. Most of the teachers were younguns compared to me. I was demonstrating a pumpkin arts and crafts project we would be making in the classes, and I had that silver colored flex dryer vent tube stuff. We were going to paint it orange and coil it to make it a pumpkin. I held up two silver pieces, put my arms in through them, waved my arms around, and said, "Danger Will Robinson". My staff looked at me like I had totally lost it.

FB_IMG_1598584882303.jpg

Jim

Did you ever go to school barefooted?
I didn't but my younger brothers did. We lived in Hawaii and Jr. High had to wear shoes but grade school didn't.
I know it's not the same thing as depicted in that picture because it was a choice for us but I suspect it was not a choice for them.

I didn't but my younger brothers did. We lived in Hawaii and Jr. High had to wear shoes but grade school didn't.
I know it's not the same thing as depicted in that picture because it was a choice for us but I suspect it was not a choice for them.
We had shoes but we went barefoot all the time, stumped our toes alot too. Lots of rocks in Stone Mountain.

I started wearing shoes to school in 3rd grade.
I remember hating them.

Jim

Take a Waltz Down Memory Lane by Watching Princess Diana and John Travolta Hit the Dance Floor

1598913745208.png

In 1985, Princess Diana and her husband Prince Charles were guests at a White House gala dinner While President Reagan was in office, during the princess’s first trip to the United States. During the event, Princess Diana made headlines by dancing with John Travolta. The dance they shared that night became so iconic that the dress she wore became known as the “Travolta dress.” In fact, she wore it once more for her last official portrait in 1997 and then auctioned it off two months before her passing. Maureen Dunkel, a Florida businesswoman, snatched it up for a cool $362,424.

The dress was designed by Victor Edelstein and is an off the shoulder midnight blue velvet evening gown. It was actually inspired by Edwardian fashion, which gave a “slight sweep of costume drama.” which if you look at it, you can tell why. In 2019, it sold for $325, 317 to Historic Royal Palaces, which is a charity that looks after royal memorabilia including artifacts and clothing. The dress joined the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection which belongs to the palace.

Our local drug store still does sundaes and shakes at a bar that looks just like that one.
I think they call it a sody fountain.
View attachment 49464
They ain't 50 cents though.

Jim

We kids liked them long as it was our idea to go.We were always leary of mama sending us to one,the soda jerks got a sick smile of thei face we wehn arrived.It meant a lime or cherry coke being ruined with ' CASTOR OIL floating on top of the shaved ice.:ghostly:

That fan and open window is exactly what is in an upstairs window at our place right now. If it's really hot, put a chair in front of it with a bowl of ice cubes on the chair seat. Grandkids like to freeze wet washcloths to bring to bed with them.
I was 18 before I slept in an air-conditioned room.
Yes, we did just fine with a fan.
People have gotten to be such candies today :(.
Do you think the A/C was running here?
140522132732-01-sixties-tv-moments-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Yeah, that's a no. Didn't exist.

I bet they got one of these too .
View attachment 49529
Jim

I do. It's an IT&T 554. Pretty much identical to the Western Electric, or Bell models. Hangs about 2' to the left of where I'm sitting right now. I like the Automatic Electric model 90's a bit more than the 500 series IT&T. I have a couple of them also.

P9020024.JPG

I was 18 before I slept in an air-conditioned room.
Yes, we did just fine with a fan.
People have gotten to be such candies today :(.
Do you think the A/C was running here?
140522132732-01-sixties-tv-moments-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Yeah, that's a no. Didn't exist.
I was 21 before we had AC and that was in an apt. Also first time we had carpet. We had rugs ,lenolium or wood floors.

I hadan old Ford maybe a 65. And it had an AC componant under the dash in the midle of the dash.
It had ice cycles hanging off it. It was the summer of 1973 my first automobile AC .I was working at GM Assembly and making really good money. I .
haven't seen one sense

We never had AC when we lived on the wet side of Washington. Now that we're on the dry side it's nice to have. We have been in the 90s for the last several months.
I have a swamp cooler in my shop and it will drop the temperature but I don't like the added moisture it adds to the air. I don't need rusty tools. I will be buying a new window AC unit for the shop this fall when they are trying to get rid of their stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back