A Very "SERIOUS" Question about "Prepping" for "THE FINAL EXAM"....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
You do realize there is going to be a "Final Exam",........Right....???

You are clear that this is not a "practice run" a "training drill" or a "game"........Right...???

So what you expect to be on the "Final Exam"......??? (specifically your personal exam)

I get the feeling the final exam is going to be a long difficult one. Hardcalibres has definitely covered question 1 which will be the hardest.

The next question will be can you physically and mentally handle the rigors to come. Most people, including many preppers live a relatively cushy life right now, that is going to go away very fast.

I get the feeling the final exam is going to be a long difficult one. Hardcalibres has definitely covered question 1 which will be the hardest.

The next question will be can you physically and mentally handle the rigors to come. Most people, including many preppers live a relatively cushy life right now, that is going to go away very fast.
You gotta be ready, no chushy!! Know it's going to happen and BE READY!!

A few of the Questions that might be on "MY Personal Exam"......???

Are you prepared to experience "your" death by starvation, or bullet wound, or dehydration, lack of liquids.

Are you mentally prepared for living with yourself after taking the life of a "Poor, desperate, terrified, fellow human.....including a child.....???

Is your physical fitness and general health going to be your downfall.....???
Did you stock.....boots, socks, gaiters, longjohns, gloves, mittens, tents, lighter fluid and flints, shoe/boot laces, eye glasses, etc......???

Do you know how the operate and program most common handheld multi-wave communication devises.........???

Are your "Night Navigation" skill at least a 9 out of 10 level....???

Do you remember what range your "Thermal Rifle Scope" is zeroed for........???

Is the trauma kit and general first aid kit fully stocked, and nearly in arms reach......???

Do you remember where all of your emergency survival "Caches" are located, and the tools to access them.....???

Do you remember "Hand Signals" and "phonetic alphabet" and Semaphore Flag Signaling System........???

Do you remember the "Semaphore Flag Signaling System"........???

Last edited:
A few of the Questions that might be on "MY Personal Exam"......???

Are you prepared to experience "your" death by starvation, or bullet wound, or dehydration, lack of liquids.

Are you mentally prepared for living with yourself after taking the life of a "Poor, desperate, terrified, fellow human.....including a child.....???

Is your physical fitness and general health going to be your downfall.....???
Did you stock.....boots, socks, gaiters, longjohns, gloves, mittens, tents, lighter fluid and flints, shoe/boot laces, eye glasses, etc......???

Do you know how the operate and program most common handheld multi-wave communication devises.........???

Are your "Night Navigation" skill at least a 9 out of 10 level....???

Do you know what range your "Thermal Optic Rifle Scope is zeroed for........???

Yep - and while most people don't, you can practice those things.

If you want to harden your heart, make a point of killing as much of the meat you eat, as you can.

If you have a pet that needs to be euthanized, don't take it to the vet for a fatal shot (most pets hate the vet anyway), take it for a nice walk and while it is distracted, shoot it in the head.

If you can shoot a pet that you love, then you can shoot anything.

But don't cross that line lightly - once you do, you are different......

If you can shoot a pet that you love, then you can shoot anything.

I did several times starting at age "nine". My father would not do it, and I was the oldest child. Not only had to shoot them, when they get hit by a car or truck or were sick, but had to drown baby kittens in burlap bags. You did because you were told to do it, it need to be done, you cried the whole time, and still weep remembering.

I did several times starting at age "nine". My father would not do it, and I was the oldest child. Not only had to shoot them, when they get hit by a car or truck or were sick, but had to drown baby kittens in burlap bags. You did because you were told to do it, it need to be done, you cried the whole time, and still weep remembering.

After WWII, they did research on typical combat troops and who was killing who.

They found that in any typical rifle platoon (30 guys or so), there were typically 2-3 guys who did almost all the killing.

I bet they were mostly country boys who had been brought up like you were.

Last edited:
I bet so, too. I know so many people who are into raising chickens, but they say they are "forever pets', and wouldn't butcher them. They are farm animals for goodness sakes.

....many of them give their livestock names.....

All our stock have numbers (if they even have that).

"Well, guess what number 23....your number is up."

I bet they were mostly country boys who had been brought like you were.

We lived on someone else's dairy farm, my father worked the farm for the absentee owner, 12 to 14, sometimes 16 hours a day, he got $20.00 a week wages, and an old farm house for his family and all the milk we needed. We often went a few days without a meal. My brother would cry in second grade (It was the classic old country school house, first and second grade were on the first floor and had one teacher for both. Third and fourth grade were on the second floor, with one teacher teaching both grades, in one open room) his teacher would come up to my class and ask me why he was crying, I said, "he is hungry, we have not eaten in few days". We were very-very poor.

Last edited:
That's very sad. Is that a reason why you are a prepper? I know some people are preppers because they had it bad as children. But some are not. I have a few amish cousins that had some very hungry times. Eight kids that remember soaking and eating the animal grain for something in their stomachs. We've talked about those times, and they do grow gardens, but are far from preppers.

We lived on someone else's dairy farm, my father worked the farm for the absentee owner, 12 to 14, sometimes 16 hours a day, he got $20.00 a week wages, and an old farm house for his family and all the milk we needed. We often went a few days without a meal. My brother would cry in second grade (It was the classic old country school house, first and second grade were on the first floor and had one teacher for both. Third and fourth grade were on the second floor, with one teacher teaching both grades, in one open room) his teacher would come up to my class and ask me why he was crying, I said, "he is hungry, we have not eaten in few days". We were very-very poor.
Wow,

Shooting pets is never easy but sometimes it has to be done, horses are one of the worst if you ask me. Building an off grid homestead out of raw timberland has NOTHING cushy about it, it ain't easy! Far as killing dinner never had a problem with that never looked forward to it either! Only thing I don't mind killing are ticks & spiders them sons a guns drive me crazy.

Shooting pets is never easy but sometimes it has to be done, horses are one of the worst if you ask me. Building an off grid homestead out of raw timberland has NOTHING cushy about it, it ain't easy! Far as killing dinner never had a problem with that never looked forward to it either! Only thing I don't mind killing are ticks & spiders them sons a guns drive me crazy.
I truly admire and hold in high respect you living off the grid for so long!

We have the guineas for the ticks and spiders. They have been foraging around here for their first week. I think a few got picked off, they are young. They were doing the guinea shreak at dusk this evening, and husband took off on his scooter to see what was up. They found a good area loaded with grasshoppers and were excited about it all.

I don't think there is a 'final exam' until the one you fail.

Its more like a professional license that you have to get a certain number of credits for every year to keep. The only reward for passing a test, is that you are allowed to take another one.

This is one of the better threads I have ever seen! I agree with much of it and would be hard-pressed to improve on these posts.

But there is one elephant in the room that I suspect is so horrible that most cannot fathom it, much less talk about it: a TOTAL lack of freedom.

Right now, we enjoy some semblance of freedom, however eroded it is. But in the future, it may be completely gone if, for example, countries like China and/or Russia overtake us.

It is entirely possible. There is a recipe for disaster cooking right now.

A look at some of the ingredients:

With our current military AND fully armed civilian population, it may be a tad bit difficult for other countries to invade us. But now that our military is having difficulty recruiting qualified people (yes they are desperately paying veterans to come back). Add to that, because of the sad wokeness that has crept into our armed forces, our next crop of troops is too soft and weak! Throw the wrong pronoun at them, and they cry becuase Sarge hurt their feels. PTSD will take over. These are of the younger generation that needed psychotherapy when their hamsters died and were thoroughly messed up by the "participation trophy" ideals indoctrinated in them by helicopter parents and the stupid school boards.

And, as time goes on, we may well become like the rest of the world: unarmed to one degree or another. No matter how folks are screaming in indignation and outrage...it is gradually happening.

In addition to our woke and weakened military, China and Russia are watching how the citizens of our entire country are at war with EACH OTHER on so many levels, including politically and even Covid-wise.

The vaccination issue is also a big one. Vaccination mandates in our health care industry will hasten the cascade of events that is happening now. As it is, health care workers have been quitting because they are sick and tired; 18-19 months of taking care of Covid patients. And now Delta is adding insult to injury, and even more are quitting. Short staffing is a REAL problem right now and creating even more stress, which in turn, creates more people quitting. Considering that a large number of them are adamantly against forced vaccinations, even more will quit. This and the cascade of events that may follow could weaken our country even more.

There is so much more happening... including in the economic front as well. Then you have China buying up our farmland more than before...

See the shitshow unfolding yet?

As FREE preparedness-minded people, we can carry on best we can but when our government or another government takes those freedoms away, our parameters shift...dramatically.

Is anyone here ready for that?

So, personally speaking, given the worst-case scenario (that elephant again!), in addition to my present skills, I aim to bolster my mental and spiritual preps because that will carry me through when all else fails.

Last edited:
Is anyone here ready for that?

This is just a guess, but I would say this is THE thing most of us have prepared for.

And, as time goes on, we may well become like the rest of the world: unarmed to one degree or another. No matter how folks are screaming in indignation and outrage...it is gradually happening.

I mean, we've been disarmed to a degree since 1934 so that ship already sailed.

This is just a guess, but I would say this is THE thing most of us have prepared for.

[snipped]

??? Really?

Of the many thousands of posts I have read over the past couple of decades, I have seldom seen any that discuss how anyone has actually prepped for the possibility of losing all of their freedom, either by our own government or through being overtaken by another country.

In the face of that possibility, all the Big Talk flies out of the window as reality sets in.

??? Really?

Of the many thousands of posts I have read over the past couple of decades, I have seldom seen any that discuss how anyone has actually prepped for the possibility of losing all of their freedom, either by our own government or through being overtaken by another country.

In the face of that possibility, all the Big Talk flies out of the window as reality sets in.

Maybe people think about it more than they post about it.........

I could fill books with the stuff I won't ever post about.

It really is the big elephant in the room which is not a surprise; it is something that no one is prepared to say out loud. Or else it would not have been such a void in every forum.

Understandably, it is unthinkable.

I've worked to hard and to long (13 years) on this place to allow anyone to take it away without a fight. I know my situation is different than most here I also know there are others even more remote than I am. Thankfully we are about to the point where I really do not have to go off property unless I want something. Our NEEDS can pretty much be met on property if they must. Not entirely but mostly... Having said that I will also say I am grateful for internet ebay, amazon and free delivery or should I say delivery included in the price.

??? Really?

Umm....I...either we are talking about two different things.....or we have had VASTLY different online experiences. I've seen and participated in so much of that talk its frankly boring at this point.

When it comes to it, if you lose all your freedom, your not prepping. You're just doing what you are told. There is no prepping for that, you just accept it.

If FACED with losing all your freedom, you fight. I think almost all of us have prepped to some degree to NOT lose all our freedom, at least not before we lose our lives.

But when it comes to it, I think most of us are prepared to be insurgents. I think its where most preppers start out at and eventually move on from to bigger things. Maybe that is why we don't talk about it. I know 100 times more people who are ready to be terrorists than who are ready to be farmers.

Or maybe because we get uncomfortable talking about how to run a terror campaign in our own country. Most forums kinda frown on that talk except in a generalized way.

[snipped]

I could fill books with the stuff I won't ever post about.

Me too. Looking at my entire posting history over several forums, most would think I am just an old swamp girl... digging in the ground for roots, growing healing herbs, flinging atlatls, flintknapping knives, lol.

Hahaha... What I don't say might be louder than what I do say.

we can carry on best we can but when our government or another government takes those freedoms away, our parameters shift...dramatically.

The "one" drum I keep pounding and pounding and pounding, is get way from people. The further you are from "People" the "Freer" you are. If someone is willing to get isolated, there is no rules, no laws, no governments, no taxes, only you and God. Where there are people there are laws and rules for people living in close proximity to each other.

The sooner people spread out the better, largely because you will be compelling your children to be comfortable living in that environment. People are "Loathed" to admit they a terrified of wilderness.

If God intended for humans to live in a environment like the massive cities, he would have made the Earth a tiny fraction of it size.

People simple don't know anything other then the environment they were raised in. That is not a 100% true, but pretty much. Been my experience that roughly 85% to 90% of those who move to Alaska, sooner or later return to where they came from. Even if they know there is no work there, they just are more comfortable there.

I’m prepared for the suck, and the suck will be intense. It won‘t be fun, easy, glorious or self fulfilling. And your or my feelings about things are of zero consequence. Reality is harsh.

Am i as fully prepared? Hell no. Am I better off today than yesterday? Yes. Will I be better prepared when I go to bed tomorrow night than I am now? That is my intent.

In the army we always trained to constantly be improving your fighting position until you moved on or engaged with the enemy. This is how I approach things.

The test? it will be come as you are. No alibis, make ups or extra credit. I do hope that it comes at the onset of a brutal winter as this will help separate the wheat from the chaff, but the timing is not of my choice.

Fact is, there is so much to do and so little time to do it. I always have the feeling that I am behind the curve and this is what motivates me.

As I started this, I know it will suck. And it will be brutal an unforgiving.

Latest posts

Back