Actual blackout bulbs? YUP!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about 6 for 40-bux? :)
Screenshot_20230727-161358_kindlephoto-2600571661.png

I'm going to take a jab at the marketing department for these things...

1690572778513.png

How can anything be based/inspired by classified military tech? The whole point of classified military tech is to keep it a secret from adversaries.

1690572880876.png

How does it know the difference between a power outage and me turning the switch off at night? I'm not going to leave a bulb on 24/7 just in case I have a blackout.

How do emergency lights cut on in a blackout? Probably something like it.
I'm betting the Chinese stole the patent and the goobermint said "screw it" and let him release it.

How do emergency lights cut on in a blackout? Probably something like it.
I'm betting the Chinese stole the patent and the goobermint said "screw it" and let him release it.
Commercial style emergency lights are hard wired to the building. They probably have a voltage sensor or some kind of contactor/relay that flips that's N/C on the light part of things and N/O on the charging side of things. So when grid is energized, the light is off/charging. They also aren't usually used for day-to-day purposes.
Super's old post probably has some details, but if you put one of these in a lamp and turn the lamp off, the bulb can't know the difference between grid-down and bedtime.

View attachment 112864
How does it know the difference between a power outage and me turning the switch off at night? I'm not going to leave a bulb on 24/7 just in case I have a blackout.
When you turn the switch off, the bulb is connected to an 'open circuit' and is off.
When the switch is turned on and the power is off, the bulb is connected to a circuit that appears to be 'shorted' because of the other loads connected on it. This makes it come on in backup mode.

When you turn the switch off, the bulb is connected to an 'open circuit' and is off.
When the switch is turned on and the power is off, the bulb is connected to a circuit that appears to be 'shorted' because of the other loads connected on it. This makes it come on in backup mode.
That's interesting. I bet other types of emergency lights could work the same way.

That's interesting. I bet other types of emergency lights could work the same way.
Yep, even putting the bulb in your mouth and touching the center contact with your tongue will turn it on.
Do I need to post a pic of me doing "The Uncle Fester" trick? :p

Last edited:
These look like a really good product. Does anyone have experience with them?

These look like a really good product. Does anyone have experience with them?
I do. Have tested them for a couple years. They work.
Even made A THREAD about them, which is very rare for me :) .

Last edited:
Terrific! These will be added to the wish list for sure.
If you get some you just gotta do the 'Uncle Fester' trick to freak out your sensitive friends. :p
Start off by talking about how badly you got shocked yesterday, then pull a bulb out of a lamp, and 'light up their life".
It is priceless!!!:)
uncle_fester_lamp_2.jpg

Step one:
Tell a libtard cell phones have deadly brain-cooking rays when you use them that turn people conservative or straight or whatever.

Step two:
Hold up the bulb next to their cell phone.

Step one:
Tell a libtard cell phones have deadly brain-cooking rays when you use them that turn people conservative or straight or whatever.

Step two:
Hold up the bulb next to their cell phone.
Yes, you can stealthily lick 2 fingers and touch the 2 contacts and turn them on.
And no, it doesn't shock you:rolleyes:.
However, it may be 'shocking' to your libtard friends when it magically lights up whenever you put it near their phone.:LOL:
I just gotta remember that prank.:D
Edit:... Especially when they won't stop yacking nonstop about how wonderful their new super-expensive smartphone is. :mad:

Last edited:
If you get some you just gotta do the 'Uncle Fester' trick to freak out your sensitive friends. :p
Start off by talking about how badly you got shocked yesterday, then pull a bulb out of a lamp, and 'light up their life".
It is priceless!!!:)
uncle_fester_lamp_2.jpg
Dang! I won't be able to ever try that.. I don't associate with "sensitive" people! 😂
I am lucky enough to have selectively choice my adult friends, and don't have any that are sensitive.

Latest posts

Back