Am I a grumpy old man

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just wonder if I have finally reached that age, or point in life....that I'm just a grumpy old fart .

Here's why..

I find myself grumbling about almost everything.

I hate television. Pretty much only want to watch OLD movies or OLD TV shows from when I was in HS or just young.
I know the wife is getting tired of John Wayne movies and Andy Taylor reruns...but I can't stand anything of today shows.

I hate politicians , they're all a joke. Make me mad at the world.

I go grocery shopping with wife, and people are so rude...I want to just get out of there.

I hate driving anymore because everybody is idiots, I'm surprised I haven't got killed.

I just want to be left alone, don't really want visitors.

I love being out and about, and doing things the wife..but nobody else.

Is there a certain age this happens ?

Or is it just me going into grump stage?

Jim

Maybe you're just in a grumpy slump. I don't watch TV at all really. I'll watch a movie once in awhile. You're right, it's all a bunch of garbage. Some channels have all the old shows, but I don't know which or what.
Politics...i quit paying attention.
I'm younger than you and I'm not grumpy. I try to be a polite driver even if i am driving a 5 speed manual tranny.
Look for a smile, give a smile. I don't care for shopping either, of any kind except the garden area at Lowe's.
I don't mind visits, I rarely get visitors.

PBS had some cool series a few times. One series about wild animals and environments worldwide and the historical series by Ken Burns.
Maybe it was all the pain/surgery and recovery getting to ya.
I thought you were happy as a bug in a rug with Christmas almost here. Maybe you need a little vacation. Or to go visit someone.

Here's an example...
Got out for the first time yesterday to go for lunch at Oasis Steak House., It's close by , decent food, I'm excited to get out.
My niece runs the place ..she was happy to see me.
We ordered, we are trying to enjoy our lunch...
Yep
2 guys behind us were so obnoxiously loud talking , laughing, we couldn't even talk...it was horrible..

There I go into my grumpy stage :mad:.. I was pissed off.

But it was nice to get out after 3 weeks of captivity.
:)

Jim

The outside world, yeah it sucks ..is, in some ways, a hellish place.
So we look for the good, happy, and helpful.

Nostalgic is cool.
I was hesitant to put up a tree but it's up now, and oh, the old ornaments, I was not even going to get them out, but I felt so happy once I saw them.

My daughter is in her 20s and she'd rather stay home too.

Yeah, people can be too loud and rude. I'm glad I'm in Texas cuz folks are pretty well behaved out in this neck of the woods, er uh uh, prairie.

You've been through a lot lately though and I know I've been shocked after being in a hospital, recovering at home, then finally getting out to the world and man oh man! What a shocker. Oh look, people are still idiots and no compassion or kindness. But nice people are out there. People like you and me. Lol

I just wonder if I have finally reached that age, or point in life....that I'm just a grumpy old fart .

Here's why..

I hate television. Pretty much only want to watch OLD movies or OLD TV shows from when I was in HS or just young.
I know the wife is getting tired of John Wayne movies and Andy Taylor reruns...but I can't stand anything of today shows.

I go grocery shopping with wife, and people are so rude...I want to just get out of there.

I hate driving anymore because everybody is idiots, I'm surprised I haven't got killed.

Jim

Jim: I will stand with you shoulder to shoulder. It has definitely come with age, and for me, a lifetime of having to be nice to people that didn't deserve it; the whole "customer is always right" thing. Compound that with a snowflake, self-consumed, younger generation that I have no patience with, and you get a pretty grumpy old man.

This probably belongs in the Rant for the Day, but when did manners change? When someone says "Thank You" the appropriate response is "You are Welcome" NOT "NO PROBLEM". :mad:. Sorry, that is a hot button for me.

Jim: I will stand with you shoulder to shoulder. It has definitely come with age, and for me, a lifetime of having to be nice to people that didn't deserve it; the whole "customer is always right" thing. Compound that with a snowflake, self-consumed, younger generation that I have no patience with, and you get a pretty grumpy old man.

This probably belongs in the Rant for the Day, but when did manners change? When someone says "Thank You" the appropriate response is "You are Welcome" NOT "NO PROBLEM". :mad:. Sorry, that is a hot button for me.

:huggs:

Jim

Here's why..

Jim

I am with you, 100%!

Speaking only for myself, I don't think it is strictly an age-related thing; but rather, we have reached a saturation point after years of putting up with uncalled-for rudeness.

Or, to put it bluntly, it's a lot like this:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I just wonder if I have finally reached that age, or point in life....that I'm just a grumpy old fart ...

I believe its mostly age. When we were little our focus was on the small things within our grasp. As most of us grew our focus expanded with work, maintaining a home, education, finances, state, national and world news. As we grow older our focus (and ability) tends to narrow back to our young years.

Plus with all the warning labels and other protections put in place to protect stupid people, there are more of them alive to aggravate us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember this one: Stress (n.) The conflict resulting from the mind having to over-ride the body's intense desire to choke the stuffings out of someone who desperately needs it. gaah

Here's an example...
Got out for the first time yesterday to go for lunch at Oasis Steak House., It's close by , decent food, I'm excited to get out.
My niece runs the place ..she was happy to see me.
We ordered, we are trying to enjoy our lunch...
Yep
2 guys behind us were so obnoxiously loud talking , laughing, we couldn't even talk...it was horrible..

There I go into my grumpy stage :mad:.. I was pissed off.

But it was nice to get out after 3 weeks of captivity.
:)

Jim
I had a similar experience a few years ago. Asked the waitress to have them quiet down. They didn't. Mind you. I was on the other side of the restaraunt when I said very loudly about inconsiderate people and that the braying jackass should take it outside.

Seems the older I get...the more nostalgic I get.

Me too, not sure that makes us grumpy. I do get the grumpy thing, I fit most of the categories you listed out.

One other thing I find myself doing more and more is speaking my mind in public...........to total strangers, if they tee me off. I used to just grumble and be on my way, anymore, not so much.

Me too, not sure that makes us grumpy. I do get the grumpy thing, I fit most of the categories you listed out.

One other thing I find myself doing more and more is speaking my mind in public...........to total strangers, if they tee me off. I used to just grumble on be on my way, anymore, not so much.
Ain't it strange how offended folks get when you call them on something.

Ain't it strange how offended folks get when you call them on something.

Yep, then get pissed off when you laugh at their response.
upload_2019-12-13_9-28-12.gif

My wife has gotten used to when I'm gonna say something, and I hear shhhhhh, don't say anything, upon which my mouth runneth over.

upload_2019-12-13_9-34-20.png

Patience gets shorter as you get older, especially for stupid.

Saw a great quote that I have used often: Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

You can't fix stupid.

Do you guys , gals too...find yourself thinking....I don't have time for anything that uses up my brain time.....because I don't have as much time to waste , as I once did...
so I have lots less tolerance for dumbassedness.
I even find myself creating new adjectives to fit certain acts.:):cool:..see above.

Jim

Remember when you were young, and you dropped something. You just bent over and picked it up. Now when I drop something I look at it and decide how badly I need it.

I have lots less tolerance for dumbassedness

I get paid good money by the people of this state to deal with dumbasses on a near daily basis. While I would say my tolerance level has gone done over time, I would also say my ability to avoid them has gone up even more. Which is why the older I get, the more of a homebody I become. At this rate I could be a shut-in by age 55.

Latest posts

Back