Am I a grumpy old man

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grumpy-old-man-e67eaff340.png

I just wonder if I have finally reached that age, or point in life....that I'm just a grumpy old fart .

Here's why..

I find myself grumbling about almost everything.

I hate television. Pretty much only want to watch OLD movies or OLD TV shows from when I was in HS or just young.
I know the wife is getting tired of John Wayne movies and Andy Taylor reruns...but I can't stand anything of today shows.

I hate politicians , they're all a joke. Make me mad at the world.

I go grocery shopping with wife, and people are so rude...I want to just get out of there.

I hate driving anymore because everybody is idiots, I'm surprised I haven't got killed.

I just want to be left alone, don't really want visitors.

I love being out and about, and doing things the wife..but nobody else.

Is there a certain age this happens ?

Or is it just me going into grump stage?

Jim

Of course not Jim. There are just more people to push our buttons then we take it out on each other :( which causes more 'grimpiness'.

Not only has America populaton almost doubled in last 100 yr.s [ but they lie like hell to us to while their treasonous open border and immigration practice that changes our culture, creates 75% more crime of all kinds and takes jobs form Americans both parties are quilty of this. ] but the culture, morals and laws have did a major turn around too.
I find myself apologizing more today ; Guess I'm grumpy old lady.
Our entertainmen , all shools including kindagarden are now polirical. :mad:

Most families are not as close as they were.
Of course we'er grumpy, if not we aren't paying attention. o_O.

I try my best to not let it affect me but it does at times.

Is there a certain age this happens ?

Or is it just me going into grump stage?

Jim
You made it a lot further than me.:rolleyes:
I had to be nice to idiots my whole career.
When I pulled the plug on work, it unplugged that function too.
Old people, I have infinite patience with.
The young Turbo-turds doing stupid stuff, will hear from the grumpy guy.:waiting:

How much do I stay home?
Well, the gas gauge in my truck finally dropped just below a half-tank.
...I filled it up in early October:rolleyes:.

You made it a lot further than me.:rolleyes:
I had to be nice to idiots my whole career.
When I pulled the plug on work, it unplugged that function too.
Old people, I have infinite patience with.
The young Turbo-turds doing stupid stuff, will hear from the grumpy guy.:waiting:

How much do I stay home?
Well, the gas gauge in my truck finally dropped just below a half-tank.
...I filled it up in early October:rolleyes:.

I have to get out now and then or things start getting bad around here.:eek:
I planto go see whats left of a reef in next few months. One grrand son we never took anywhere I hope to take with us, if I still can't see well by then hubbywill just have to take up my slack. I want to be under water one more time before something else tears up or goes out:p.
Hope you can ge out sometimes SuperV. :thumbs:

Having spent many formative years with grumpy grandparents, my filter was never developed as well as it could have been when I was a child. I have been insulting people most of my life, by telling them the truth.

I do try, when I do need to go shopping, to make a decision that I am going to smile and greet people. Some days I don't remember to do that. I do try to greet people in the aisles. I try to make small talk ("the price of these has sure gone up". I try to be kind, but I fail, because some days I am annoyed by people's behavior. I especially try this with older people, because I think older people need to be acknowledged and to be cheered up. Some days I decide that I am going to hold the door for others. I am going to let others ahead of me. I am going to make myself feel better by being considerate. Some days this works. Some days it doesn't.

When I was a child, I was around older people a lot. I remember that I never wanted to get old. I saw what it did to people, and how they treated others, but children especially, and it was not kind in any way. I remember visiting people in the hospital and nursing homes and being so sad about their end of life. I actually couldn't go into hospitals or nursing homes for many years without just crying.

The reality of getting old is that much of your life is behind you. There are regrets. There is a lack of appreciation for us. The beauty and attractiveness, whatever it was at best, is fading. Our bodies hurt. Getting around is not as easy. Getting things done takes longer and is a challenge. We do not feel as well.

I am annoyed by inconsiderate people everywhere. People live in their own self centered worlds.

Another thing that I am very aware of is the narcissism in our world. There are people who completely lack the ability to have empathy or any type of concern about others. These people think they are the center of the universe. Narcissism was a topic of conversation at our old hang out. It is something to be aware of and knowledgeable about. The person who is so loud that no one around them can even have a conversation is likely a narcissist. The person who thinks they should be first, have the best, and most acknowledged is narcissistic. It is a growing mental disorder in our world.

...Hope you can get out sometimes SuperV. :thumbs:
Oh we have a cruise set up in January and one in April:).
Nice thing about a cruise - nobody's in a hurry:D.

I believe most of us older people's grumpiness comes from being in constant pain:(.
Of course young people abusing opioids has pretty much killed any hope for meaningful relief for us.:mad:
Thank you idiots!

Plus with all the warning labels and other protections put in place to protect stupid people, there are more of them alive to aggravate us!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL. Not as many snarks and boojums around us humans. Looks like the coyotes have moved in closer to our domestic animals though. Shucks, my neighbors have been seeing a fisher (aka fisher cat) around lately. Killed several penned ducks the other day. Fishers make meals of domestic cats too; probably lap dogs, though I haven't heard that.

Having spent many formative years with grumpy grandparents, my filter was never developed as well as it could have been when I was a child. I have been insulting people most of my life, by telling them the truth.

I do try, when I do need to go shopping, to make a decision that I am going to smile and greet people. Some days I don't remember to do that. I do try to greet people in the aisles. I try to make small talk ("the price of these has sure gone up". I try to be kind, but I fail, because some days I am annoyed by people's behavior. I especially try this with older people, because I think older people need to be acknowledged and to be cheered up. Some days I decide that I am going to hold the door for others. I am going to let others ahead of me. I am going to make myself feel better by being considerate. Some days this works. Some days it doesn't.

When I was a child, I was around older people a lot. I remember that I never wanted to get old. I saw what it did to people, and how they treated others, but children especially, and it was not kind in any way. I remember visiting people in the hospital and nursing homes and being so sad about their end of life. I actually couldn't go into hospitals or nursing homes for many years without just crying.

The reality of getting old is that much of your life is behind you. There are regrets. There is a lack of appreciation for us. The beauty and attractiveness, whatever it was at best, is fading. Our bodies hurt. Getting around is not as easy. Getting things done takes longer and is a challenge. We do not feel as well.

I am annoyed by inconsiderate people everywhere. People live in their own self centered worlds.

Another thing that I am very aware of is the narcissism in our world. There are people who completely lack the ability to have empathy or any type of concern about others. These people think they are the center of the universe. Narcissism was a topic of conversation at our old hang out. It is something to be aware of and knowledgeable about. The person who is so loud that no one around them can even have a conversation is likely a narcissist. The person who thinks they should be first, have the best, and most acknowledged is narcissistic. It is a growing mental disorder in our world.

I try to understand others and hope they do me but sometimes I act like people I don't like and that makes me feel bad. So I'm always saying I'm sorry. Maybe there is two of me.:D :huggs:.

Oh we have a cruise set up in January and one in April:).
Nice thing about a cruise - nobody's in a hurry:D.

I believe most of us older people's grumpiness comes from being in constant pain:(.
Of course young people abusing opioids has pretty much killed any hope for meaningful relief for us.:mad:
Thank you idiots!

SuperV thats sounds :great:. I'm jealous. I need to get over my phobia of people cooking and handling my food because I hear the food is one of the best parts of a cruise. Then to oI'd rather be under the ocean than on top of it its nicer down there. :D

I get paid good money by the people of this state to deal with dumbasses on a near daily basis. While I would say my tolerance level has gone done over time, I would also say my ability to avoid them has gone up even more. Which is why the older I get, the more of a homebody I become. At this rate I could be a shut-in by age 55.

You say that like it is a bad thing. IMHO it sounds pretty good. :woo hoo:

SuperV thats sounds :great:. I'm jealous. I need to get over my phobia of people cooking and handling my food because I hear the food is one of the best parts of a cruise. Then to I'd rather be under the ocean than on top of it, its nicer down there. :D
Indeed it is!
Very hard to be grumpy down there.:rolleyes:
Dove the Great Barrier Reef in Australia in 2018.
Plenty of tanks:):
IMG_20180115_135920_hdr.jpg

Does one have your name on it?:)

Last edited:
Actually you can, if you have a SmartTV that can stream YouTube in HD.
Punch this into it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=great+barrier+reef+relaxation
(and this is on topic because you can see how easily we can go from grumpy, to 'not-grumpy':D)
I loved the giant clams. Have dove all over the Caribbean and never seen one (they are almost extinct).
GBR had lots of 'em:View attachment 31197View attachment 31198View attachment 31200

Funny you mention the giant clams, we just watched them this past week " Gone With The Wynns youtube . First time I ever saw them that close. There are so many wonders in the seas.

Do you guys , gals too...find yourself thinking....I don't have time for anything that uses up my brain time.....because I don't have as much time to waste , as I once did...
so I have lots less tolerance for dumbassedness.
I even find myself creating new adjectives to fit certain acts.:):cool:..see above.

Jim

Yes. Of course I'm only gonna be 18:D so you don't have to be old to feel this way....

"Grumpy old man" usually means "been around long enough to think things through and doesn't like what he has figured out." That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid. Most of the people I see must be having an extremely hard life because they're all dumb as a bag of hammers. And they're rude, too!

As a grumpy old man born in April, I placed a formal request with my wife for that t-shirt for Christmas. Here's the link if anyone else is interested. https://merchansite.com/walk-away-i...sleeve-classic-tee&v=5c9483dd5d03c600018ced23

That sooo reminds me of my Grandmother. She was 95 and we were at Wal-Mart and some guy with saggy pants kept making snide remarks about all the old people. My Grandma walked up behind him and jerked down his pants. He was shocked and She just smiled and said anyone that full of *baloney* had to be wearing a diaper and she wanted to see what brand it was so she could buy him another box. He said he was gonna call the police and she said "Go ahead, they won't keep me, they can't afford my medical bills". I was so shocked I just stood there.....

...He said he was gonna call the police and she said "Go ahead, they won't keep me, they can't afford my medical bills". I was so shocked I just stood there.....
I hate I wasn't there to see that!
brickwall100.gif
If only some of his homeys had been there to say: "That little ol' lady totally owned you, bro!":LOL:
I guess that's the 'downside' (pun) of wearing your pants halfway pulled up:rolleyes:.

(I better be careful, I'm getting borderline on being cheerful here.):eek:

I hate I wasn't there to see that!View attachment 31205If only some of his homeys had been there to say: "That little ol' lady totally owned you, bro!":LOL:
I guess that's the 'downside' (pun) of wearing your pants halfway pulled up:rolleyes:.

(I better be careful, I'm getting borderline on being cheerful here.):eek:

Yep, seeing that would have made my week. What could that guy have told the cops anyway? "That old woman pulled down my pants" Would have made their day too.

Well, I can tell you one thing....
I'm gonna continue being. A grumpy old fart...cause now I know I gotta lots of company..
:D

Jim
Okay Jim :huggs: I don't think you're grumpy. I do agree that some folks out there are less than stellar people. I agree with @Weedygarden and several others. It was easier to practice tolerance when common curtesy was common. Times have changed. I don't think it's age. I think it's just being around pleasant people. That can be difficult in today's society. It's also one of the reasons I like hanging out here. I think most folks say what they think, don't have to agree, but at least are courteous enough not to start bashing. Also, I think stupid is actually easier to deal with than rude - it's annoying, but not as annoying as rude people.
I wrote a little piece about such a thing. (If it's not okay, mods please remove.)
https://www.thelocustblossom.com/2019/10/that-place-still-exists.html
Weedy, I don't think you are offensive. I worry sometimes that I sound harsh - especially when I'm typing since folks can't see that I'm making a goofy face or whatever.
@Terri9630 what an honor to whiteness such justice :)

One thing I've noticed lately is that when someone does or says something rude or stupid in a public place, that directly or indirectly affects me, I say something in response , just loud enough so they can hear me.

Use to be that I would not say anything until later in the car,

Wife has noticed that also, and has ask me to tone it down....I guess it's just that old grump surfacing now.:waiting:

Jim

Weedy, I don't think you are offensive. I worry sometimes that I sound harsh - especially when I'm typing since folks can't see that I'm making a goofy face or whatever.
I've said things here I regretted later. I say things I shouldn't sometimes. What you and others don't see is all the things I type out and then delete. Sometimes it is therapeutic to write it out, and then to delete it. It might be relevant, but TMI.

"Grumpy old man" usually means "been around long enough to think things through and doesn't like what he has figured out." That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid. Most of the people I see must be having an extremely hard life because they're all dumb as a bag of hammers. And they're rude, too!

As a grumpy old man born in April, I placed a formal request with my wife for that t-shirt for Christmas. Here's the link if anyone else is interested. https://merchansite.com/walk-away-i...sleeve-classic-tee&v=5c9483dd5d03c600018ced23

Have the wife get you the sleeveless shirt, wear plaid pants, suspenders with white socks and flip flops so you blend in with the rest of us "Grumpy old men"! :D

Latest posts

Back