Another Newbie

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsrwivey

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm another long time PS member late on the mass exodus. We've been preppers for 10 years which has led us to homesteading. We live in east Texas, we have 3 kids & 3 others we helped raise & count as ours, & 3 perfect grandbabies. Two kids are still at home, a 5 yo son & a 20yo son with multiple major medical needs who will forever act like a happy 3 yo. Hubby is a builder, I'm a pediatric nurse but am a full time mom & Mimi currently. Our grown kids live close & we see them at least a few times a week. We are long time homeschoolers & are very active in that community.

So far, we have moved to our 20 acres on the river where we are living in a very small 2 bedroom apartment with an attached shop. We built the shop/apartment ourselves debt free (mainly hubby) & recycled a lot of supplies he salvaged off of jobs. We sold our old house & will have enough money to build the new house debt free as well.

The barn has a floor, roof, & 2 sides so far. We have ten chickens in a coop & enclosed area, we've had chickens for a little over a year now. We have a small garden area with some raised beds but the rest of the future garden needs leveled. So far, we can grow beautiful, nice sized purple sweet potatoes & an over abundance of orange cucumbers. :). We plan on getting rabbits, building a fish/duck pond & a greenhouse, & maybe goats or miniature cows. We have two growing seasons here but we didn't plant a fall garden this year, it's just been nonstop crazy busy this year.

I look forward to meeting y'all & hearing about your projects, progress, successes, & learning opportunities!

I'm glad you came over. I was surprised I was able to slip my email into a PM to you without getting my hand slapped.

How is the new house? Do you still have the RV on the property? What about your house in town? I still remember the house while it was being framed. You can PM me (it's now called "conversation") if you don't want to put that info on the board.

I'm glad you came over. I was surprised I was able to slip my email into a PM to you without getting my hand slapped.

How is the new house? Do you still have the RV on the property? What about your house in town? I still remember the house while it was being framed. You can PM me (it's now called "conversation") if you don't want to put that info on the board.

We moved the RV over to our younger daughter's new house yesterday. Our older daughter will be living in it to save for a down payment on a house & help with the kids while younger daughter does her year of clinicals.

We are officially completely moved onto the property in the apartment/shop we built. The old house sold for a little more than we expected so that was good. I sure do miss my big house with all the room though! We hope to start construction on the new big house in the next few months if hubby can get caught up with work.

I am new to this site from PS. Have always been prepared for food shortages. Some good years and some bad for garden but never run out of basics. Have a few chickens for past 40 years. Have 9 cows, 5 dogs and too many cats but most are fixed and up to date on rabies shots. retired school teacher of 36 years, 5 daughters, 5 son in laws/significant other and 17 grandchildren (14 blood, 3 step) ranging in age from 1-20. All my girls are strong, independent women with college degrees and can stand on their own two feet. oldest grandson in basic training with Marines in San Diego, next grandson in LA and we have seen him on TV. Husband had quadruple bypass 2 years ago after I retired and hasn't worked since. I now have a part time job and clean two houses also. Somedays I feel old and tired. Today completes another trip around the sun. Have lived in this county since I was 9 months old. 20 minutes on a dirt road for 11 miles to get to town. Nearest town with Walmart is 30 miles away. No Doctor in town, no hospital in County. Surrounded by yaupon and grassburrs. Gotta love TEXAS! Do have our house and some land for sale and plan to move further from end of county road to back of pasture. Will put us beside fence of land I inherited from my Dad when he died 23 years ago. 3 miles through pasture will get me to hill I grew up on and where my sister lives.

Glad you made it. I was worried there because I got locked out of my own account by the admin at PS.

Today completes another trip around the sun.

Happy Birthday!

serveimage

Well it's about time what took you so long ? Seriously glad you found us.

As if Thanksgiving & Christmas weren't enough, one grown kid closed on her home last week so we helped her move. Another grown kid is going to live in our fifth wheel so we changed a couple tires on it, cleaned it up, moved our stuff out of it, & moved it to the daughters house that just moved. Now we'll help daughter #2 move her stuff out of her house & into storage. Sunday I cohosted a baby shower for my niece & 60 guests. Hubby's been working 12-16 hour days 6 days a week since early spring. When he's not working, he's working around here trying to make a little progress so he's very little help. Life's been like this most of the year but we're hoping this busy season of life will be over soon. I missed my PS friends!

Warm welcome from the Arizona Valley folks. Glad you were to make the connection.

As if Thanksgiving & Christmas weren't enough, one grown kid closed on her home last week so we helped her move. Another grown kid is going to live in our fifth wheel so we changed a couple tires on it, cleaned it up, moved our stuff out of it, & moved it to the daughters house that just moved. Now we'll help daughter #2 move her stuff out of her house & into storage. Sunday I cohosted a baby shower for my niece & 60 guests. Hubby's been working 12-16 hour days 6 days a week since early spring. When he's not working, he's working around here trying to make a little progress so he's very little help. Life's been like this most of the year but we're hoping this busy season of life will be over soon. I missed my PS friends!

Wow you have been busy! Tell your husband I feel his pain.

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad we met. My life sounds like yours! My wife and I are living in a 5th wheel while building a house. It's quite an adventure isn't it?

Latest posts

Back