Anybody have a "REAL ID" driver license?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have to get one this year & someone misplaced my Passport!
So I need two IDs to get two Birth Certificate.
With BC I can get another SS Card, which is with my passport.
Then I can get a renewal on my passport.

It wasn't too bad in the state of New Mexico. But they give out licenses to anyone. Moved to Kansas, and they required a certified, stamp embossed marriage license. I had a birth certificate, but my maiden name was on it (duh), and I had a marriage license from 40 yrs ago, but it wasn't certified, stamped and embossed. It needed to show how I have my present last name. What a pain. Had to request it from Santa Cruz, California, where we were married. Took a few months to get. Then they gave it a glance, and I got my new license.

My Colorado drivers license is Real ID. I don't remember having to do anything special to get it. But I must have had to. Did I have to show them my passport or something? I honestly don't recall doing that, but I guess I might have and I've just forgotten. I just checked the Colo web site and it appears that our drivers licenses have been Real ID since 2012. My DL expires in two months (they last for five years here), so I guess this will be my third renewal (2013, 2018 and now 2023) since Real ID was established in Colorado.

I'm not sure how to tell if it is a READ ID or not, but it must be if Haertig's is.

The reason the documentation requirements have increased is because of the increase in identity theft and fraud. I posted about it before. This was the first time that mine got sent to me in the mail. Previously, they would hand it to us before we left. I believe that the part of it being mailed to us gives law enforcement another way to see if the address with it is real or fake and it gives law enforcement another way of finding criminals.

Florida went to it a decade ago. I didn’t have my birth certificate, that cost me $65 I think.
Then they wanted two proof of citizenship, I don’t even remember.
It was worse for my wife - I’m her third husband. She had to send away and get marriage licenses and divorce documents. It was a mess.

It wasn't too bad in the state of New Mexico. But they give out licenses to anyone. Moved to Kansas, and they required a certified, stamp embossed marriage license. I had a birth certificate, but my maiden name was on it (duh), and I had a marriage license from 40 yrs ago, but it wasn't certified, stamped and embossed. It needed to show how I have my present last name. What a pain. Had to request it from Santa Cruz, California, where we were married. Took a few months to get. Then they gave it a glance, and I got my new license.
Had the same mess. With more marriage and divorces its nuts. Then 2 times visiting DMV and their computer wasn't working so couldn't get it. I gave up. Guess i only need it to fly. Im in WV

Texas started that in 2016! Need your birth certificate to get it! When it first started an older lady I knew was going for an ID, her license expired the year before, she didn't drive, she was in her late 90's. Well, when she was born they didn't have BCs, your birth info was written in the front of the family bible. They also would not accept her expired license as identification! So she never got an ID card! ☹️

My mom had an expired CA ID card. And a messed up birth certificate...it was typed, but hardly readable, and she was born in my grandparent's home down the road. Mom will be 91 next month, so it was a pain, but we did get a certified birth certificate for her. So then I took her down for a new ID. Her photo is a crack up because she has no clue what's going on.

My state has a guided/interactive tool on the DMV website. Last time I used it it started with Proof of Identity, then had a list of acceptable documents I can use. Then moved on to Proof of Citizenship or maybe Residency. Depending on the picks you make previously, some documents (like a passport) can do double duty. At the end, it tells you which documents to bring with you to the DMV. Maybe your state has something similar?

A couple things which may simplify things for you.
1) if you go to the SSA website, you can get a replacement SS card. It's a pretty simple process.
2) go to the fed dept of state website. You can report your passport as lost and they should get you a new one. I haven't personally done this so don't know how hard or simple it is.

As for real-id, in our state you have to pay pretty deeply to get it. So much so that having/carrying my passport when needed (e.g. to board a plane) is significantly less expensive.

We got ours when our regular DL expired. I had no problems because I had all the required paperwork.
My wife forgot our marriage license so she had to go back. She gave them my original SS card that hadn't been seen in 40 years. The clerk pointed out it wasn't hers so she gave her the correct one. Lost for 40 years and she just turned up with it.
I was even able to get my brother an ID card but not the enhanced one. I would have to wait till he got the regular ID then go back and show them the same paperwork and then he could get the enhanced ID. Dumb rules.

This hits a sour note with me.

We did have real ID's and Driver's Licenses. This was done at the DMV after providing them your Birth Certificates, Bills to your house, and any other documentation to prove you were who you told them you were.

Then the illegal border jumpers came into the DMV, was able to buy these same ID/DL's based on their word alone, so they make the legal folks go back in to the DMV, provide your Passport, your Birth Certificate, and bills proving your house address, along with an additional $35, to get the same ID/DL, except this has a "Golden Bear" embossed on the front of the DL/ID card.

Pure BS, IMHO!

If there is a star inside a circle in the upper right corner, it is Real ID (in Colorado that is - I don't know about how others states mark theirs).
Got the star in a circle!

But I only had to hand over my former DL which had expired and I only found out when I went to T-mobile for my phone. They have dealt with so much fraud that they are very particular about everything. She said that 2020 was really bad for fake ID's and phone fraud.

I went back with my daughter, who is also on the account. We learned from the woman waiting on us about the production of fake licenses that look real. Evidently it is quite a thing. It might be a pain to jump through all the hoops, but it is a way to protect us from identity theft. I expect that that is why we will be expected to be chipped in the future, AKA Mark of the Beast!

More than a year ago I had a day where texting was really messed up on my phone. I wasn't receiving messages and clients were not receiving mine. The next phone bill showed a phone purchase that we didn't make. We were hacked and someone else was getting the messages until they got their phone and changed the number.

Last edited:
We got the real ID when it first came out to beat the rush.

Ben
What did that cost you? I thought they were really expensive in PA when they first came out. I checked a couple hours ago and it's something like $30 up front then another $40 per renewal (every 4 years for a DL).

What did that cost you? I thought they were really expensive in PA when they first came out. I checked a couple hours ago and it's something like $30 up front then another $40 per renewal (every 4 years for a DL).
I don't remember. :rolleyes:

Ben

I remember it costing more per year than a passport. We just keep passports for everyone since they're good worldwide.
We have plans to visit Jerusalem someday when it is safe so we are aggressive with passports, IDs, carry permits etc. We never know when we may need them.

Ben

I brought my SS card as one of the required documents.
It was my original, issued in 1964. It says right on the front, in big print “Not For Identification “.
Still have it, never got a duplicate.

You can just order a BC online ~

I talked to the DOT today.
DOT said I do not need a Fed ID (Gold star in circle) to drive in the states. So I can get the paper work without rushing & update the DL
at a later date. It is $25.00 for SC DL or REAL FED ID.

I had to get a new D license today. Was offered 'Real id'. Before i asked the lady listed off paperwork required... that i obviously didn't have. Nice lady, knew what was up. So i just got the regular license. I carry several forms of id already, state and federal.

A few states have made a mockery of the driver's licenses, they are a joke now. A federal id was inevitable. Which may have been the intent of liberal wackos anyway. Who wants centralized power? Commies or local law abiding citizens?

Latest posts

Back