Anybody have a "REAL ID" driver license?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought "they" were saying it would be required...is that only for air travel?
Didn't someone have a thread going about this last year? Sheesh, I didn't know you could choose. Mine will expire before my appointment. Used to be able to walk in, be inconvenienced for 1-2 hours. Now I will also have to drive further because I could only do it on certain days.
Got vehicle registration renewed today, that was almost a month late. "Did you receive any citations for driving on an expired registration?" No. In and out in less than 30 minutes and it was packed.

This is Kalifornia's requirements:

• Valid U.S. passport or passport card (Preferred)

• Original or Certified copy of U.S birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office). “Abbreviated” or “Abstract” certificates are NOT accepted.

• Valid Permanent Resident Card

• Foreign passport with valid U.S. Visa and approved I-94 form

• Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship

• Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory

• Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) Card (I-766) or valid/expired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C)

• Valid Permanent Resident Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C) or Approval Notice (I-797)

• U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of U.S. Citizen

• Valid foreign passport stamped “Processed for I-551”

• Documents reflecting TPS benefit eligibility

Zoom, seems you are somewhat correct, beginning in 2025.

Federal agencies have the authority to set their own minimum security access requirements and, if desired, decide not to accept noncompliant marked cards before the May 7, 2025 deadline.

For example, The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) recently finalized an update to its DoD-Wide installation security policy and is in the process of no longer accepting noncompliant marked cards across all of its facilities and installations. However, DoD will continue to accept state-issued noncompliant unmarked "legacy" cards until the May 7, 2025 deadline.

To ensure you have the proper identification, DHS recommends that you contact the federal agency you plan to visit in advance, to obtain information regarding identification requirements.
As a reminder, the REAL ID Act applies when an individual presents a state-issued driver’s license or identification card to a federal agency for an “official purpose” as defined in the Act and regulations, such as boarding a federally regulated commercial aircraft. Although a REAL ID card may not be necessary for other purposes such as driving, voting, banking, or applying for benefits or employment, we recommend checking with the relevant state, local, or commercial entities regarding their specific identification requirements.

I talked to the DOT today.
DOT said I do not need a Fed ID (Gold star in circle) to drive in the states.
I was told the opposite, I had to get it because I held a commercial license.

I was sent a letter by the state dept of transportation stating if I didn't submit proper valid forms of I'd, I'd loose my CDL after so n so date.
I had 45 days to comply.
I put it off because I think its bs..I've had a CDL for decades, worked in LE , born n raised American ..records all over, no bad mojo ones.
Kinda feels like a _itch slap knowing all the illegal folks dont have to do crap n get all kinds of services n goodies..
What a joke..
I seriously thought about letting my CDL go but ...uggh....

No choice in Texas, that's all you get!
In Florida when real ID first started you could get one renewal of the old style. Here the license is good for six years.
By now everyone has used their grace period, so read ID is all that is available.

What’s the big deal, anyway? If you’ve got a plain old driver license the Gov already knows all about you.

For where I live, it's price. The fees to get it when it first came out in PA were enormous. More than getting a passport. They lowered the fees so now it's $30 up front then $40 every 4 years. Don't know why we have to keep paying over and over.
In Florida, the price stayed the same.
You just had to prove that you are a US citizen. One time.
If you had to pay extra your own state was ripping you off.

We didn't have to pay anymore here either. We normally have six year licenses, but mine came up for renewal in October of 2020, covid time, they were extending to EIGHT years. Hubby's was due in February of 2021, but they were allowing renewals up to six months ahead of time, he got an 8 1/2 year license!! No renewal until 2028 and 2029 and we can renew online next time!🥳🥳🥳

Yes, they're ripping me off. I live in PA and fees for damn near everything are exorbitant. My 1/2 ton truck annual registration is around $100 per year. Cars are around $50.

Back