Birding

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby and I moved a second birdbath next to the one that the bluebirds use every afternoon! Sometimes there are 30 or more lined up waiting their turn. We have several birdbaths, but that one is in the "right" spot! Can't wait to watch them later with two there now!!

Hubby and I moved a second birdbath next to the one that the bluebirds use every afternoon! Sometimes there are 30 or more lined up waiting their turn. We have several birdbaths, but that one is in the "right" spot! Can't wait to watch them later with two there now!!

O.K. let me ask a question. If I sit outside to watch the birds will cigar smoke keep them away? :dunno:

These are not cheap cigars. This is good stuff. I will sit on the patio and smoke cigars. My house. My patio. The birds are guests. I hope they don't mind. We will see.

O.K. let me ask a question. If I sit outside to watch the birds will cigar smoke keep them away? :dunno:

These are not cheap cigars. This is good stuff. I will sit on the patio and smoke cigars. My house. My patio. The birds are guests. I hope they don't mind. We will see.
Might keep the skeeters away!! I'm pretty sure the animals own my home!! 😃

Keeping the skeeters away would be a blessing. On some occasion, Mothers Day, Birthday, Anniversary, Valentines Day, I can't remember. I gave my wife a square ceramic coaster. You know the kind. Printed on it:

THIS HOUSE IS MAINTAINED ENTIRELY FOR THE COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE OF THE DOG.

Still have plenty of hummers here, squabbling over the feeders... plenty of other birds too, since I just dumped more bird seed on the pavers out by the birdbaths. I keep a circular paver near each birdbath so I can put quail blocks on the pavers, but no quail blocks on the shelves lately, so I bought another big ol' 40-lb. bag of bird seed and I'm dumping some on the pavers every day. I like keeping the birds happy! Seeing flocks of the little guys round my home is soothing, a natural occurrence. The fat doves might make for some good eatin' in a SHTF situation, lol... :oops:

Stacks Image p10837_n5

A Hummingbird in My House
From the Inside Flap
"One unseasonably cold day in late October 1988, long after all the other little hummingbirds had left for their sojourn in more tropical climes, l found, left behind in my garden, a young male ruby-throated hummingbird. Alone there he would surely die." And that is how Squeak came to be the author's guest for that whole winter, growing up and thriving happily in the verdant sunroom of her house in Saugerties, New York.

Day after day Arnette Heidcamp photographed Squeak in all his joyous activities, from the time he stretched his wings in the morning until he settled himself for the night. She snapped him while he visited flowers or ate from his feeder, as he flew around the room for his early exercises, as he ingeniously bathed himself. Much of the time Squeak would perch and preen, then sunbathe and scratch. A favorite flower was the hibiscus, whose petals he impatiently pierced to get to the nectar. He was also inordinately fond of insects bountifully supplied by his hostess. He always slept on the skinniest branch he could find.

Toward spring, Squeak began to molt to replace his old and worn-out feathers. At the same time he showed signs of sexual awakening by "displaying," then mounting the buds of the flowers.
Finally the day arrived to release Squeak, May 14, when the other hummers began to return. After half an hour of coaxing to get him out of the house, Squeak finally flew out and over the rooftop. That was the last Arnette saw of him.

A Hummingbird in My House, with its fifty-seven gorgeous full-color photographs and ten adorable drawings, is a heartwarming true story of a little hummingbird that will delight bird lovers of all ages.

Stacks Image p10837_n15

RosieMy Rufous Hummingbird

From the Inside Flap
After having a hummingbird named Squeak in her house for the |988-1989 winter, Arnette Heidcamp was overjoyed to he visited by another hummingbird. This time it was a female, an off-course rufous hummingbird, who had flown all the way from the West Coast to Arnette's house in Saugerties, New York. She named the bird Rosie. As Squeak had done previously, Rosie spent the winter of 1993-1994 in the flower-filled sunroom. Here Arnette shot seventy-five full-color endearing photographs of her welcomed guest's nightly and daily activities; sleeping, waking up, bathing, eating, preening, and visiting all the lovely flowers that so attracted Rosie.

Rosie had a special tree, a tall branch with many skinny twigs. lt practically reached the ceiling and became the core of the majority of her activities. Rosie loved to bathe and spent much of her time in the shower and under the waterfall.

I believe there are a few designs for bluebird houses.

https://www.thespruce.com/free-bluebird-house-plans-385671
Bluebirds are some of the most desirable cavity-nesting backyard birds, but they need a safe, attractive place to nest. These free bluebird house plans can help any birder build just the right size, shape, and style of house to appeal to bluebirds and attract nesting bluebird pairs.

Choosing a Bluebird House to Build
Bluebirds will not nest in just any birdhouse. The right birdhouse will not only provide good, safe shelter for a brooding adult and its nestlings, but it should also be the proper size to admit bluebirds without encouraging unwanted residents.

The best dimensions for bluebird houses are:
  • Entrance hole: 1.5 inches (1.56 inches for mountain bluebirds)
  • Entrance height: 6 inches to 10 inches above the house floor
  • Interior floor space: 5 inches by 5 inches to accommodate broods of five to eight chicks
  • Total height: 8 inches to 12 inches with the back slightly higher to shed water
Different design options are serviceable for bluebirds, including rectangular houses, sloped patterns, round cavities, and houses with either front or side panels that open for easy monitoring. Any of these houses are ideal for nesting bluebirds, so long as the house is constructed with their needs in mind and positioned to keep them safe from predators.

Bluebird nesting box

ND1939 / Getty Images

Free Bluebird House Plans
Several websites offer different bluebird house plans for free printing or downloading, including:
In addition to these websites, many local bluebird societies or conservation groups may have suitable plans available. Similarly, most birders who maintain bluebird houses or work on a bluebird trail would be happy to share their experience to help more birders get involved as bluebird landlords.
Other Considerations When Building a Bluebird House
When using free plans to build a bluebird house, it is important to create the best possible home for resident bluebirds. To do so, don't forget:
  • Safety features: A safe birdhouse needs proper ventilation to keep birds cool, as well as a predator guard to minimize the risk from raccoons, cats, snakes, and other animals that will prey on vulnerable bluebirds. Avoid house plans that feature perches, which bluebirds do not need but which will give a convenient handhold to predators.1
  • Monitoring: Because so many insects, mice, and other pests may take up residence in bluebird houses, it is important to properly monitor the birdhouse to keep bluebirds safe. The data collected, such as brood size, the number of fledglings, and the overall nesting period, can be submitted to different organizations and is useful for citizen science projects.
  • Attracting bluebirds: No bluebirds will nest even in a perfect house if the surrounding habitat is unsuitable for their survival needs. Take proper steps to attract bluebirds to the yard by providing bluebird-friendly food, water, and shelter, and these birds will more readily take advantage of the house as a great nesting spot.
  • Placement: Put a bluebird house in a wide open area with a clear flight path into the nest. Bluebirds use houses that are placed in full sun and far away from the shade. Also, do not place a bluebird house near bird feeders.
  • Unwanted residents: Many other cavity-nesting birds will take advantage of bluebird houses, including house sparrows, house wrens, black-capped chickadees, Carolina wrens, and tufted titmice. Because bluebirds are less aggressive, they are often forced out of their homes. Be aware of these usurpers, and check that they aren't taking over the house before bluebirds have nested.
If You Can't Build a House
While every birder may want to welcome resident bluebirds to their birdhouses, not every birder is equally adept with the tools and woodworking experience necessary to build safe, effective birdhouses. If you can't tell a hammer from a hacksaw, there are birdhouse kits that may be suitable or could be adapted for bluebirds, or you can contact a local bluebird society for assistance.

Creating enough houses for a bluebird trail is an ideal Eagle Scout project, and many local woodworking clubs or classes would be happy to lend a hand with bluebird house construction.

With so many options available, there is no reason for any birder to shy away from becoming a bluebird landlord.
When I was a kid, we used to take Clorox jugs and put holes in them and hang them up for birds, sometimes even paint them up.

We had a bird feeder that drove squirrels and cats alike nuts, we got an old garbage can lid and bored it full of holes so it wouldn't hold water (with a shotgun!) and fixed it to a pine stump. the buggers could climb up to it but they couldn't reach the rim, and if they did, they couldn't hang on.

I tried to hang bird feeders with bird seed and squirrels would come, shake them, and empty the seed onto the ground. I have been using suet feeders for a few years. Different kinds of birds like different kinds of these products. Some like the citrus, some like the peanut butter, some prefer the others. During the pandemic, I would sit in my yard and watch the wrens be so attracted to them. Wrens are feisty little birds. The problem with the suet feeders is that when birds eat from them, there are pieces that drop to the ground. I've had mice outside since then.

I tried to hang bird feeders with bird seed and squirrels would come, shake them, and empty the seed onto the ground. I have been using suet feeders for a few years. Different kinds of birds like different kinds of these products. Some like the citrus, some like the peanut butter, some prefer the others. During the pandemic, I would sit in my yard and watch the wrens be so attracted to them. Wrens are feisty little birds. The problem with the suet feeders is that when birds eat from them, there are pieces that drop to the ground. I've had mice outside since then.
I've had raccoons steal my suet feeders.

I've had raccoons steal my suet feeders.
You have some open space don't you? You can get those metal plant hangers that you could put in your yard and hang the feeders on. I have planted too many trees and squirrels can circle my property without touching the ground. That is how they get to any of my feeders. I saw a squirrel with his or her tail wrapped around a post on my porch, reaching over and shaking the dickens out of the seed feeders to release the seed.

You have some open space don't you? You can get those metal plant hangers that you could put in your yard and hang the feeders on. I have planted too many trees and squirrels can circle my property without touching the ground. That is how they get to any of my feeders. I saw a squirrel with his or her tail wrapped around a post on my porch, reaching over and shaking the dickens out of the seed feeders to release the seed.
I have wired my suet feeders to the trees only to have them unwire them!!😮 Or sit there and patiently eat the suet handful by handful!! They have not gotten into my squirrel proof feeders yet!!

Happens to us way too often. I trap them and then them down. But they keep producing
One of my 90+ year old ladies had something digging under her little storage shed. She bought a live trap, caught a raccoon! It was really throwing a fit! She asked one of the lawn crew working a couple of houses down if she could borrow a pair of work gloves for about 30min! She put the gloves on so it couldn't reach out and scratch her hands, loaded the live trap in her trunk and took the coon to one of the town parks and released it!!😮 I was most amazed she could lift it!!

One of my 90+ year old ladies had something digging under her little storage shed. She bought a live trap, caught a raccoon! It was really throwing a fit! She asked one of the lawn crew working a couple of houses down if she could borrow a pair of work gloves for about 30min! She put the gloves on so it couldn't reach out and scratch her hands, loaded the live trap in her trunk and took the coon to one of the town parks and released it!!😮 I was most amazed she could lift it!!
I caught a huge coon in mine while at work. By the time I got home it had tore the foot trap apart and bent the door up enough to get out. Wife said it had a hard time turning around it was so fat. Made a hell of a mess and destroyed a good trap.

Raccoons are strong, and they're fierce fighters... I once read that they're some not-so-distant relation to wolverines & bears. They can do a lot of damage to property, either trying to get in or trying to get out, lol. Tough critters!!! :oops:

I saw a BALD EAGLE this morning. They are considered rare in north Texas. What a regal big bird! Only saw one once before near an area lake. Did a little reading on them (will be doing a lot more), they like to be near lakes and wetlands. I'm near the Clear Fork of the Trinity River, it's dry right now but there are a lot of large stock tanks in the area, some spring fed! Will be keeping an eye out for them, I'm really excited to know they are around!!

I saw a BALD EAGLE this morning. They are considered rare in north Texas. What a regal big bird! Only saw one once before near an area lake. Did a little reading on them (will be doing a lot more), they like to be near lakes and wetlands. I'm near the Clear Fork of the Trinity River, it's dry right now but there are a lot of large stock tanks in the area, some spring fed! Will be keeping an eye out for them, I'm really excited to know they are around!!
We have eagle here, that was shipped in & I was told they cross with other raptors.
They are up on lake Murray, which is one of the biggest man made lake, or so I was told.
Are there any bald eagles in South Carolina?

Image result for bald eagles south carolina

South Carolina's Bald Eagles - Past Surveys

Based on the most recent data, there are over 9,800 nesting pairs of bald eagles in the lower 48 states. Eagles nest in every state except Hawaii. South Carolina ranked twelfth in the nation in terms of the numbers of nesting bald eagle pairs in 2005.

Heaps of doves in the yard this morning, they really like the bird seed I put on the pavers every morning... there must have been at least 20 of the birds round one bath & feeder (paver for ground feeding). I'll have to get a shot of 'em later, on another morning when they're thick in the yard. Sometimes, there are dozens of doves in the pine trees... they like those trees in the windbreak. Well, I need to get going here on my picnic lunch if I'm going to the Organ Mountains today... the clock she is a-ticking! Just looked out my window and saw clear blue skies to the SW, so I guess the ride is on for the day! Suits me, I love riding that big ol' thumper, even if it IS a bit heavier than I like for trail riding! Meh, I won't be doing any double backflips on it, lol, just CRUISING some trails... pics will be posted later! :cool:

I was watching an eagle dogfight with a seagull. The eagle had the hight and would dive at the seagull, miss and swing back up to maintain the height advantage. The seagull had the agility, dodging and weaving, flipping over and flying upside down. It was quite a show. This went on for quite awhile until a second eagle showed up. I figured this was the end of the seagull but the two eagles got in each others way and the seagull was able to fly straight long enough to pick up speed and escape.

Eagles often win these battles. They take the seagull back to a tree. There they peal the skin off the seagull, drop it to the ground, where the skin will dry and curl up into a feathered ball. The eagles eat the meat not the feathers. I'll try to get a picture.

The north wind is pushing the feed into the bay. Hundreds, possibly thousands, of gulls are having a feast. There are at least two species of gull judging by size differences.

Latest posts

Back