Birding

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're seeing more songbirds in the yard, colorful ones too, I'm glad I trimmed that brush near the feeders & birdbaths... I didn't do the entire yard, I like leaving some flowering weeds in place for the honeybees. Maybe one day I'll stick a hive box in the far corner of the yard, lol. Wouldn't that be great to get real honey straight from the comb? I suppose I could wear my cycle riding suit & helmet to harvest the honeycomb, maybe a scarf too, lol. :cool:

"BEEKEEPER'S SUIT?!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BEEKEEPER'S SUIT!!!" ;)

Anyway, the birds have been going off here, I'm enjoying the heck outta seeing some brightly-colored birds back in the 'hood! The collared doves have been here all winter, mooching off me hard... but I don't mind, they keep me company and I like to hear 'em in the trees every morning. Haven't seen that falcon or pigeon hawk around lately, but that little b@stard sure is quick! When I do see him, he's moving fast and he usually snags a dove. :oops:

We're seeing more songbirds in the yard, colorful ones too, I'm glad I trimmed that brush near the feeders & birdbaths... I didn't do the entire yard, I like leaving some flowering weeds in place for the honeybees. Maybe one day I'll stick a hive box in the far corner of the yard, lol. Wouldn't that be great to get real honey straight from the comb? I suppose I could wear my cycle riding suit & helmet to harvest the honeycomb, maybe a scarf too, lol. :cool:

"BEEKEEPER'S SUIT?!? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BEEKEEPER'S SUIT!!!" ;)

Anyway, the birds have been going off here, I'm enjoying the heck outta seeing some brightly-colored birds back in the 'hood! The collared doves have been here all winter, mooching off me hard... but I don't mind, they keep me company and I like to hear 'em in the trees every morning. Haven't seen that falcon or pigeon hawk around lately, but that little b@stard sure is quick! When I do see him, he's moving fast and he usually snags a dove. :oops:
You might want to pick up a mosquito net. Don't leave an opening for a bee to crawl in or an area where the net is close to the skin. Bee keeping outfits are white. There are no bees in the polar regions (no polar bears). All enemies of the bees are dark in color.

Lots of birds around right now. Chickadees, juncos robins, cardinals, blue jays, doves, mockingbird, bluebirds, downy and red bellied wood peckers.. These are around most all the time.
Last year we had mockingbirds everywhere yacking their heads off nonstop until 1am.
This year it is dozens of blue jays everywhere yelling their heads off.
Nice knowing that if Armageddon happened, I would not starve:rolleyes:.

Last year we had mockingbirds everywhere yacking their heads off nonstop until 1am.
This year it is dozens of blue jays everywhere yelling their heads off.
Nice knowing that if Armageddon happened, I would not starve:rolleyes:.
I have a lot of extra Mockingbirds, will gladly share!!

I believe there are a few designs for bluebird houses.

https://www.thespruce.com/free-bluebird-house-plans-385671
Bluebirds are some of the most desirable cavity-nesting backyard birds, but they need a safe, attractive place to nest. These free bluebird house plans can help any birder build just the right size, shape, and style of house to appeal to bluebirds and attract nesting bluebird pairs.

Choosing a Bluebird House to Build
Bluebirds will not nest in just any birdhouse. The right birdhouse will not only provide good, safe shelter for a brooding adult and its nestlings, but it should also be the proper size to admit bluebirds without encouraging unwanted residents.

The best dimensions for bluebird houses are:
  • Entrance hole: 1.5 inches (1.56 inches for mountain bluebirds)
  • Entrance height: 6 inches to 10 inches above the house floor
  • Interior floor space: 5 inches by 5 inches to accommodate broods of five to eight chicks
  • Total height: 8 inches to 12 inches with the back slightly higher to shed water
Different design options are serviceable for bluebirds, including rectangular houses, sloped patterns, round cavities, and houses with either front or side panels that open for easy monitoring. Any of these houses are ideal for nesting bluebirds, so long as the house is constructed with their needs in mind and positioned to keep them safe from predators.

Bluebird nesting box

ND1939 / Getty Images

Free Bluebird House Plans
Several websites offer different bluebird house plans for free printing or downloading, including:
In addition to these websites, many local bluebird societies or conservation groups may have suitable plans available. Similarly, most birders who maintain bluebird houses or work on a bluebird trail would be happy to share their experience to help more birders get involved as bluebird landlords.
Other Considerations When Building a Bluebird House
When using free plans to build a bluebird house, it is important to create the best possible home for resident bluebirds. To do so, don't forget:
  • Safety features: A safe birdhouse needs proper ventilation to keep birds cool, as well as a predator guard to minimize the risk from raccoons, cats, snakes, and other animals that will prey on vulnerable bluebirds. Avoid house plans that feature perches, which bluebirds do not need but which will give a convenient handhold to predators.1
  • Monitoring: Because so many insects, mice, and other pests may take up residence in bluebird houses, it is important to properly monitor the birdhouse to keep bluebirds safe. The data collected, such as brood size, the number of fledglings, and the overall nesting period, can be submitted to different organizations and is useful for citizen science projects.
  • Attracting bluebirds: No bluebirds will nest even in a perfect house if the surrounding habitat is unsuitable for their survival needs. Take proper steps to attract bluebirds to the yard by providing bluebird-friendly food, water, and shelter, and these birds will more readily take advantage of the house as a great nesting spot.
  • Placement: Put a bluebird house in a wide open area with a clear flight path into the nest. Bluebirds use houses that are placed in full sun and far away from the shade. Also, do not place a bluebird house near bird feeders.
  • Unwanted residents: Many other cavity-nesting birds will take advantage of bluebird houses, including house sparrows, house wrens, black-capped chickadees, Carolina wrens, and tufted titmice. Because bluebirds are less aggressive, they are often forced out of their homes. Be aware of these usurpers, and check that they aren't taking over the house before bluebirds have nested.
If You Can't Build a House
While every birder may want to welcome resident bluebirds to their birdhouses, not every birder is equally adept with the tools and woodworking experience necessary to build safe, effective birdhouses. If you can't tell a hammer from a hacksaw, there are birdhouse kits that may be suitable or could be adapted for bluebirds, or you can contact a local bluebird society for assistance.

Creating enough houses for a bluebird trail is an ideal Eagle Scout project, and many local woodworking clubs or classes would be happy to lend a hand with bluebird house construction.

With so many options available, there is no reason for any birder to shy away from becoming a bluebird landlord.
I also found this How to Build a Bluebird Nest Box guide. Somehow it looks more convenient for me.

Do any of you have bird feeders and watch what kind of birds you draw to the feeders?

I've tried to do the bird seed feeders but the squirrels wreak havoc with them. They get on them, and shake them to drop all the seed. I've gotten suet feeders and they are more squirrel proof, but not 100%. I've had squirrels drop those feeders and take two of the suet cakes! Poof, gone!

I've seen some cool birds. I like to see wrens in the summer. Recently I've had a downy woodpecker visit the suet feeders. I read that they do like to eat at suet feeders in the winter.View attachment 82098
I've been seeing this bird again this spring at my suet feeders.

Don't have a pic, but our Bluebirds are nesting in the Martin house!!
I had been meaning to post about the mockingbirds building a nest in the tree near the back patio for weeks. Notice I said 'birds'.
1. I didn't know that both spouses worked tirelessly to build it.
2. Didn't realize that every single twig in the nest required a separate trip back and forth.
We had much fun watching them do all the work building that huge nest.
DW even snipped up pieces of cotton cord, which they quickly grabbed up.
I bet that nest was soft and comfy :thumbs:.
We waited and watched and near as I can tell, she didn't get pregnant.
They abandoned it a week later.:(
I still think they should have listed it on "Air BnB".:rolleyes:

I had been meaning to post about the mockingbirds building a nest in the tree near the back patio for weeks. Notice I said 'birds'.
1. I didn't know that both spouses worked tirelessly to build it.
2. Didn't realize that every single twig in the nest required a separate trip back and forth.
We had much fun watching them do all the work building that huge nest.
DW even snipped up pieces of cotton cord, which they quickly grabbed up.
I bet that nest was soft and comfy :thumbs:.
We waited and watched and near as I can tell, she didn't get pregnant.
They abandoned it a week later.:(
I still think they should have listed it on "Air BnB".:rolleyes:
We have two pairs of Mockingbirds with young ones! The outside cats might go bald from getting their hair picked out!!

We have two pairs of Mockingbirds with young ones! The outside cats might go bald from getting their hair picked out!!
If they have young ones in the nest, nothing is safe! :oops:
Not even a deadly snake!

I really wish I could do a voiceover for that clip....
"Oh, you not paying attention to me?:waiting: So areya' punk!? I'll kick your azz!!! Whomp, whomp, whomp!"

Last edited:
Took the dog out for a morning walk today. As soon as I closed the door we noticed a robin on the other side of the parking lot, about 30' away. We watched it for a few minutes and then it was time to go do her business but she was quiet and very interested.

Was a great bird watching day! Had a pair of Scissor Tails hanging around. There has been a mama Red Tailed Hawk with four young ones in the pasture behind me. Guess she's teaching them the ropes! And THREE mother Wrens were building nests under the railing of my pool. One had previously built there and raised her babies. So now I will have three cussing at me when I'm in the pool!🕊️

Several pairs of small birds have made nests under my carport, up where the frame takes a bend in each location... so far, the cats have NOT been able to reach the nests, not even Tiger, who is a stone cold killer of birds. I'm hoping the birds can complete their mission... it's funny, watching Tiger and the other cats try to access the nests from the top of the carport (impossible). I'll try to take a pic if I remember to do so, these are small birds like sparrows or finches... the sites they've chosen are also difficult for birds of prey or crows to access. :rolleyes:

since moving to the country, I’ve been an avid birder. I put up my blue bird box which only house sparrows in town. As soon as I put it up, bluebirds moved in. My second clutch of bluebirds just fledged. I’m going to clean out the box and wait for clutch 3. I feed them mealworms. I have a variety of feeders around my house with a variety of seed mixes. I have the typical wrens, cowbirds, sparrows, woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays but I have seen a painted bunting (it was
GORGEOUS) and most recently a pair of Pileated woodpeckers. They were HUGE. I put up another suet feeder with a tail prop trying to attract the Pileated woodpeckers to stay on my land.

Latest posts

Back