Buffalo River 5/21

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This is my favorite part of the Ozarks! It’s about an hour drive from our home. We make a couple of trips each year for a little river time.
D5110ABF-BF4D-44DD-8D32-C2F9515195BA.jpeg
6DB7B11A-2D90-46CE-951C-0BA5BB509AB5.jpeg
EB20F51B-EE13-4D4E-AF50-928607030B0A.jpeg
8D80C9C0-58CC-4A43-AEEC-B3330B56C728.jpeg
65321836-A0F9-499A-AA5A-E484F8104DF2.jpeg

A40D7E49-9A2D-441A-897F-E6BD7496E2D5.jpeg

Texas has pretty rivers with tubing and all that, but they get so crowded. Buffalo River would take me all day to get there. Looks like it is worth the trip. Our youth groups go every couple of years and I know some other friends who go every summer. On my list.

Texas has pretty rivers with tubing and all that, but they get so crowded. Buffalo River would take me all day to get there. Looks like it is worth the trip. Our youth groups go every couple of years and I know some other friends who go every summer. On my list.
If you can always stay with us if you want we have a cool little place on our property be about an hour drive from here

Totally Awesome Scenery. :cool: (and the Park isn't too bad, either. 🤓 jk, don't filet me, Bro.. ;)

Reminds me of one of the 'Few Good Places Worth a Visit in Upstate NY' / one of Our Fam's Fav old haunts: Taughannock Falls :cool: A good 3/4 mile+ of 'Slate-Gorge / Creek hiking', ie:

IMG_4423-L.jpg

..Where you can regularly see all manner of water moccasins / water-snakes and Huge 'dock spiders' (I'm commenting in the 'context of my Boys fav things to do / hunt' :cool: and the 'reward' for hiking the Gorge, is a huge 'cinematic bowl', with a breathtaking 215' waterfall / swimming hole, without parallel in All of NYS..

GettyImages-932587776.jpg
:cool:

..Well-worth the Trip / Hike. 👍 But, I Love that spot / river yer at, since it looks Quite a bit deeper water, which gives excellent op for cayaking, as ya'll nicely demo, and maybe a bit of flyfishing, and general swimming / skinny-dippin.. ;) Would love to visit there, someday.. Thanks for the 'introduction / data-point'.. :cool:

PS - Tell Lady Ax, nice noife. ;) Reminds me of one I got my Son awhile back..
818e4f09adb4aac11bb057c4a51a5cd2.jpg
:cool: ..But I think she needs one of These on-hip:
06868d8bedc3f68ffaf147d6279a41e2.jpg
:cool: I just don't wanna be within 100' of her if/when she Does. ;)

jd

Last edited:
Totally Awesome Scenery. :cool: (and the Park isn't too bad, either. 🤓 jk, don't filet me, Bro.. ;)

Reminds me of one of the 'Few Good Places Worth a Visit in Upstate NY' / one of Our Fam's Fav old haunts: Taughannock Falls :cool: A good 3/4 mile+ of 'Slate-Gorge / Creek hiking', ie:

IMG_4423-L.jpg

..Where you can regularly see all manner of water moccasins / water-snakes and Huge 'dock spiders' (I'm commenting in the 'context of my Boys fav things to do / hunt' :cool: and the 'reward' for hiking the Gorge, is a huge 'cinematic bowl', with a breathtaking 215' waterfall / swimming hole, without parallel in All of NYS..

GettyImages-932587776.jpg
:cool:

..Well-worth the Trip / Hike. 👍 But, I Love that spot / river yer at, since it looks Quite a bit deeper water, which gives excellent op for cayaking, as ya'll nicely demo, and maybe a bit of flyfishing, and general swimming / skinny-dippin.. ;) Would love to visit there, someday.. Thanks for the 'introduction / data-point'.. :cool:

PS - Tell Lady Ax, nice noife. ;) Reminds me of one I got my Son awhile back..
818e4f09adb4aac11bb057c4a51a5cd2.jpg
:cool: ..But I think she needs one of These on-hip:
06868d8bedc3f68ffaf147d6279a41e2.jpg
:cool: I just don't wanna be within 100' of her if/when she Does. ;)

jd
That is beautiful! Jake bought that knife for a boot knife and it was really too big to boot carry. Alexandra kind of took it over. 🤣

I have done several camping trips and floats along the Buffalo River. The last time was perhaps 2004. Nice area. If I wasn’t in Alaska, odds are I’d be living in that area.

I have done several camping trips and floats along the Buffalo River. The last time was perhaps 2004. Nice area. If I wasn’t in Alaska, odds are I’d be living in that area.
Funny thing is if we weren’t living here the only other place I would want to be is Alaska! I got to visit about 20 years ago and fell in love with the place!

Hashbriwn, your pics look so familiar. We used to float a couple of times a year. Sometimes couples, and sometimes the whole family. We loved it. Haven't been in a while since age crept up on us. Beautiful part of the country. Great memories.

Hashbriwn, your pics look so familiar. We used to float a couple of times a year. Sometimes couples, and sometimes the whole family. We loved it. Haven't been in a while since age crept up on us. Beautiful part of the country. Great memories.
We try to go down there a couple times a year and the James River at least twice a year. James river float is usually just Jake and I and we camp for a couple days. It seems to get harder for me every year but I enjoy the time so much I’m not ready to stop yet.

We try to go down there a couple times a year and the James River at least twice a year. James river float is usually just Jake and I and we camp for a couple days. It seems to get harder for me every year but I enjoy the time so much I’m not ready to stop yet.

We usually head to Steelville, affectionately known as "Float Country". You have your choice of the Meremac, the Huzzah, and the Courtois (which we always pronounced cote-a-way), which was our favorite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back