"BUTT'WIPE" from "HELL" vs. "BUTT'WIPE" from HEAVEN.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have "Both" qualities of butt wipe. Looking to purchase some high quality butt wipe. Need educating on the Quality and technical features.
Like one ply or three ply. Do they even make four ply.....??? What do billionaires use....?? Is there an industry standard rating scale for toughness or strength of butt wipe.

I have some butt wipe from hell, that is exactly like waxed paper with thin coat of oil. It has substantial wood chips visible.

Are you talking about toilet paper or baby wipes (wet wipes)?
For TP, our family uses either Charmin Extra Strong or Charmin Extra Soft. Both are strong with no tearing or shredding. The Extra Soft is just softer.
For baby wipes, we use the Huggie's brand (unscented). We don't use them in the house per se but I use them all the time in the shop or when working outdoors.

If you are also referring to premoistened baby wipes, they have a relatively short shelf life, even when storage conditions are excellent. It tends to dry out over time, and before that happens, sometimes it will "spoil" with a funky weird mildewy sort of smell. Not anything I want to use in a SHTF situation.

That'll be something: a weird infection introduced by "convenience" gone bad. Talk about a real pain in the ass... that would be it.

If whatever you buy has a "Best by" or expiration date, believe it!

And as you can imagine that during a SHTF event, access to familiar hygiene may be limited...especially water.

This is a wonderful solution when water is limited (SHTF or for travel). I like this model because the nozzle spray wand is retractable, which makes it easier to pack.

I have used one like this for years, and it is still as good as new, so I can vouch for durability.

bidet.png

Last edited:
We use Charmin. Soft? Sure. Expensive? Depends. The cheap stuff requires a large wad. Charmin, 2 squares, fold one past the middle, do the same on the other square, you have 3 layers that is plenty strong. A roll lasts a long time.

We've been happy with Members Mark 2 ply from Sam's Club. It's out primary choice.

Secondary choice would be Quilted Northern 3 ply from either Amazon or local stores, whichever is cheaper.

Tertiary choice is Costco's Kirkland brand.

We tried Amazon's house brand and were left severely underwhelmed.

The new York times is a viable option. 😂

I wouldn't expose my posterior to that virus...

Quilted Northern for me. I will use Charmin or Cottonelle in a pinch, but I don't like them. Especially Cottonelle - I hate having my finger go through the TP and then I have to use more TP to clean my finger.

Stay away from Scott - that stuff will make you bleed. And Angel Soft - I don't know what angels they're talking about. Even demons would think wiping with that stuff was a punishment from hell...

I am guilty of pinching pennies on a lot of things, butt not that! Charmin only.
I'll switch to cheap food first. :mad:
There is nothing worse in my book, than the dreaded "punch-thru":oops:.

The new York times is a viable option. 😂
When I was in college, we referred to the Student Newspaper as "The Weekly Wipe". It was about as liberal as any major newspaper. I've no doubt that some of the guys actually used it as wipe. After all, when you're in college buying TP cuts into the beer fund, and no self respecting college student can tolerate that!

The Princess has always been a Toilet Paper Tycoon with a large collection but during the shortage she nabbed some stuff from Amazon not realizing it was single ply. We have been using it to purge it from the collection and i have been surprised that a roll last 2-3 times longer that the double stuffed my pillow type stuff. I do double it up butt it still last longer.

Ben

PS I love My Pillow bt the way. ;)

The Princess has always been a Toilet Paper Tycoon with a large collection but during the shortage she nabbed some stuff from Amazon not realizing it was single ply. We have been using it to purge it from the collection and i have been surprised that a roll last 2-3 times longer that the double stuffed my pillow type stuff. I do double it up butt it still last longer.
My DW panicked during the TP-panic and ordered some of that stuff.
We never had to use it and likely never will. She is even more picky than I am.
I was going to post a pic of it under: "Don't buy this" butt I was too ashamed.
Maybe we can use it to 'roll' somebody's yard one day :rolleyes:.

It would go a long way!

Ben

I actually bought some of the cheapest stuff Walmart had during the panic. It's probably like what you're describing. It was single ply, 4 rolls for 99¢. I figured it would be my absolutely last ditch, desperation stash, or it would be something to hand out to people who had nothing else. What I found is, I use it for other purposes. Cut myself shaving? Tear off a bit of that stuff. Need to blow my nose? Grab 3 sheets. The best use is, when I'm trimming my beard, I lay it over the back of the sink and the faucet, and all the little hairs are on it instead of getting into every crack and crevice of the sink. Call it wasteful, I don't care. For a buck, I've been using it for a year for that purpose...but I would just as soon use my bare hand as use that TP for its intended purpose...

You all might want to consider a longer term solution as a second third line back up. I bought a 1000 pack of shop towels off ebay for $100 that can be washed and reused if it comes down to it. Not something I want to do but beats leaves all to pieces!

You all might want to consider a longer term solution as a second third line back up. I bought a 1000 pack of shop towels off ebay for $100 that can be washed and reused if it comes down to it. Not something I want to do but beats leaves all to pieces!

I think you have a valid point. I have moss that is soft and pre-moistened, it is 6" to 14" thick. It is annoying to walk on, especially up hill, but it is perfect butt wipe. It is also a perfect insulation.

Scotts 1000 sheets 1-ply in our house. The girls tend to clog toilets with anything else so 2 out of three bathrooms have this in them. The last bathroom has Kirkland in it. I actually prefer the 1-ply. I just feel cleaner.

I do use a peri bottle to help reduce the amount of any t.p. used but no one else will use one. Juju is only 4 and uses the Kirkland wet wipes and the 1-ply and Roo would use a paper towel before a peri bottle. And K is a booooooy! We know he could go behind a tree. He also seems to have his movements at work in the outhouse. 🤪

I made family cloth back when Roo was a baby and I was making cloth diaper wipes for her. I also have a few yards of flannel fabric to make more.

if you have a septic tank its good to avoid the fancy dancy extra thick baby soft 2-3-4-ply stuff. thin and simple can be your friend long term. just sayen.

lol--i thought this was about bidens comment aobut his butt is wiped.

Last edited:
When my son was still at home he got a shave the month club & they sent him men's wet wades as a simple, he like them.
I however, am to cheap to pay for adult wipes when Baby wipes are $1.00, I us TP.

"BUTT WIPE" from "HELL" vs. "BUTT WIPE" from "HEAVEN".

Hrmm.. Well.. On the 'Hell side' of the scale, I'd say..
prickly-pear-fruit.jpg

..vs the 'Closer to Heaven', anyway, side..
shutterstock_Khairil_Azhar_Junos_1417787675.jpg

tenor.gif
..I mean, Come on.. Somebody had to.. :)

..But, to the Point.. a) Bidets (even the 'portable' / hand-squeezers) Yep.. 👍 and b) Fwiw, we've found these to be 'decent'.. Edit: Arrgh... Why won't Amazon-links Ever 'parse' correctly in here?? :rolleyes: Go to Amazon, look for Item# B07ND3WR64 (Cottonelle 42-wipe Paks; ~336 total for like $14.something..)

jd

Latest posts

Back