Cajun and Creole Food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a little country store here that sell them along with pickled ham hocks and pickled pig lips. People ask for pig lips without hair on them if possible. Yikes!
Yikes is right! When we butchered chickens we singed off the hairs that were left after all the feathers were plucked. I would have thought that the hair would be singed or scraped off.

This made me think of a place that used to be in the inner city when I was teaching there. It was a place called Zona's. Tamales They were known for their pig ear sandwiches but I have no idea about their tamales. I drove by the place many times, but never went there or had any food from there. A few years ago, it was busted for selling drugs. This was not the only inner city retail store that was a cover or used for drug dealing. There was a "hardware store" about a block from school that had all kinds of goods, still in the boxes, and not arranged or organized. I later heard that it was a cover for drug dealing.

Creole Chocolate Cake

3 squares baking chocolate
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten well
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of flour (all purpose)
1 tablespoon baking powder
dash of cinnamon

Melt the baking chocolate in a double boiler, and add the 1/2 cup sugar. Cook in the top of the double boiler until it is well blended. Remove from heat.

Add the well beaten egg. Stir well, and cool slightly.

Cream the butter with the 1 cup of sugar. Add the three eggs, and then the chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add the flour, sifted with the baking powder and cinnamon. Beat well. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans, and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) 25 to 30 minutes. Frost cake with Creole icing.

Creole Icing
1 tablespoon softened butter
1/4 cup clear black coffee
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of cinnamon
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar

Combine butter, coffee, cocoa and cinnamon. Gradually add sugar, beating to spreading consistency.
Yields: 1 1/2 cups icing, or enough for an 8 or 9 inch layer cake.

Recipe found in Hershey's 1934 Cookbook

Creole Chocolate Cake

3 squares baking chocolate
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten well
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups of flour (all purpose)
1 tablespoon baking powder
dash of cinnamon

Melt the baking chocolate in a double boiler, and add the 1/2 cup sugar. Cook in the top of the double boiler until it is well blended. Remove from heat.

Add the well beaten egg. Stir well, and cool slightly.

Cream the butter with the 1 cup of sugar. Add the three eggs, and then the chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add the flour, sifted with the baking powder and cinnamon. Beat well. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch layer pans, and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) 25 to 30 minutes. Frost cake with Creole icing.

Creole Icing
1 tablespoon softened butter
1/4 cup clear black coffee
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of cinnamon
3 1/4 cups powdered sugar

Combine butter, coffee, cocoa and cinnamon. Gradually add sugar, beating to spreading consistency.
Yields: 1 1/2 cups icing, or enough for an 8 or 9 inch layer cake.

Recipe found in Hershey's 1934 Cookbook
I luv how they put black coffee in the icing😍.
You can bet that people were happy after eating that! :thumbs:

I confess it is.
I mentioned boudin above.
You got anemic kids? People with 'iron-poor' blood?
The right boudin can fix that, it is called 'blood boudin'.
Still sold EVERYWHERE down here! (don't worry, the vast majority of boudin sold in stores is 'regular').
@Magus said 'everything but the squeal', he was right. You don't think that hog's blood falls on the ground, doya'?:oops:
https://mulates.com/2019/07/22/what-is-blood-boudin/
(Yes, I have eaten at Mulate's dozens of times :thumbs:)
Pile them black sausages high bro! Lots of pepper, garlic and cracked rice!

Here's the English version:

Ingredients​

Makes about 3 pounds
4 cups fresh pig's blood
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups steel-cut (pinhead) oatmeal
2 cups finely diced pork fat (or beef suet), finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
  1. Step 1​

1 Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease 2 glass loaf pans. (If you don't have glass loaf pans, line metal loaf pans with parchment to keep the blood sausage from reacting with the metal and creating an off-flavor.) Stir 1 teaspoon of salt into the blood.

Step 2​

2 Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil and stir in the oats. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until just tender, not mushy.

Step 3​

3 Pour the blood through a fine sieve into a large bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in the fat, onion, milk, pepper, allspice and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add the oatmeal and mix to combine. Divide the mixture between the loaf pans, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour, until firm. Cool completely. Seal in plastic wrap and wither freeze for extended use or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Step 4​

4 To serve, cut a slice about 1/2-inch thick off the loaf. Fry in butter or oil until the edges are slightly crisped and browned.

Red beans and rice are so good, if you make them with enough seasoning! The business of whether something is Cajun or Creole is something that I'm sure I am not the only one who will forever confused about.

"Red beans and rice is an emblematic dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine (not originally of Cajun cuisine) traditionally made on Mondays with Kidney beans,[1] vegetables (bell pepper, onion, and celery), spices (thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf) and pork bones as left over from Sunday dinner, cooked together slowly in a pot and served over rice.[2] Meats such as ham, sausage (most commonly andouille), and tasso ham are also frequently used in the dish. The dish is customary – ham was traditionally a Sunday meal and Monday was washday. A pot of beans could sit on the stove and simmer while the women were busy scrubbing clothes. The dish is now fairly common throughout the Southeast. Similar dishes are common in Latin American cuisine, including moros y cristianos, gallo pinto and feijoada."

I spend a week in Nicaragua & had red beans & rice for breakfast every morning with coffee so strong it could throw Joe Rogan.

I’m not familiar with snoballs, and I haven’t had turtle or boudin. I have had a Vietnamese blood sausage, does that count?

Everything else I’ve had and am delighted to eat. Pass all of that right over here. Yum!

Alligator is a little odd though, it tastes like a cross between chicken and catfish, with a texture to match. Not bad, just different.
There is a food truck in the Denver area that I got poutine from a few weeks ago. Now I am tracking where they are set up. I did see recently that they were in Parker!

Edit: I just looked and poutine is served with French fries. I just didn't realize that. I thought it would be served on rice.

https://www.boudinandbeignets.com/

Poutine is something I had heard of, but had no idea what it was until I had some from the food truck. I looked for a recipe. If anyone can offer any thoughts about poutine, I'm open to it! I'm going to try to add some more recipes for other dishes.

If we are in SHTF situation and don't have much food selection, I think this would be good. It reminds me of my grandfather eating bread with gravy, but here it is potatoes.

https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/wprm_print/19847

Authentic Canadian Poutine​

Authentic Canadian Poutine featuring deep-fried fries, poutine gravy and white cheddar cheese curds all tossed together. Do be careful with deep frying. A proper deep fryer is recommended.
4.90 stars from 46 ratings

Prep Time: 30minutes mins
Cook Time: 30minutes mins
Total Time: 1hour hr
Yield: 3 people

Ingredients

Poutine Gravy:​

• 3 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 20 oz beef broth
  • 10 oz chicken broth
  • Pepper, to taste

For Deep Fried Fries:​

• 2 lbs Russet potatoes, (3-4 medium potatoes)
  • Peanut or other frying oil

Toppings:​

• 1 - 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese curds, (Or torn chunks of mozzarella cheese would be the closest substitution)

Instructions​

• Prepare the gravy: In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and set aside.
  • In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring regularly, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture turns golden brown.
  • Add the beef and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Stir in about HALF the cornstarch mixture and simmer for a minute or so. If you'd like your gravy thicker, add a more of the cornstarch mixture, in small increments, as needed, to thicken. Season with pepper. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary, to taste. Make ahead and re-warm or keep warm until your fries are ready.
  • For Deep-Fried Fries: Prepare your potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick sticks. Place into a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Allow to stand at least one hour or several hours. When ready to cook, heat your oil in your deep fryer or large, wide, heavy cooking pot to 300° F.
  • Remove the potatoes from the water and place onto a sheet of paper towel. Blot to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
  • Add your fries to the 300°F oil and cook for 5-8 minutes, just until potatoes are starting to cook but are not yet browned. Remove potatoes from oil and scatter on a wire rack. Increase oil temperature to 375°F Once oil is heated to that temperature, return the potatoes to the fryer and cook until potatoes are golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined bowl.
  • To Prepare Poutine: Add your fried or baked fries to a large, clean bowl. Season lightly with salt while still warm. Add a ladle of hot poutine gravy to the bowl and using tongs, toss the fries in the gravy. Add more gravy, as needed to mostly coat the fries.
  • Add the cheese curds and toss with the hot fries and gravy. Serve with freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.

I've never been to NOLA, but have had beignets made from the Cafe du Monde box a few times.

Beignets Recipe​

PREP TIME2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes
COOK TIME20 minutes
MAKESabout 22 beignets

INGREDIENTS​

• 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 11/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for kneading and cutting
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 quart peanut or vegetable oil, plus more for the bowl
  • 1 cup powdered sugar

EQUIPMENT​

• Large mixing bowl
  • Measuring cup and spoon
  • Large Dutch oven
  • Candy or deep fry thermometer
  • Rolling pin
  • Pizza cutter or sharp knife
  • Rimmed baking sheet
  • Large fine-mesh strainer

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Warm the water and milk. Place the water and milk in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on full power. Alternatively, you can warm the milk and water in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. The mixture should be warm but cooler than 100°F.
  2. Proof the yeast in the warm milk mixture for 15 minutes. Whisk the sugar into the milk mixture, then sprinkle with the yeast and set aside for 15 minutes until the yeast has become foamy.
  3. Beat in the the egg, butter, and flour. Add the egg, salt, butter, and 2 cups of the flour to the milk mixture. Beat with a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula until the mixture is thick but smooth. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and beat again until just combined. You’re looking for a thick batter-like consistency that is closer to drop biscuits than bread dough here.
  4. Cover a work surface with flour and knead the dough. Dust a work surface with about 1/4 cup more flour and dump the dough onto it. Gently fold the dough over itself 3 to 4 times (the dough will be sticky and a little loose). Gently shape the dough into a round and place in a well-oiled bowl (you can reuse the mixing bowl if it is mostly scraped clean). Cover with a clean kitchen towel.
  5. Let the dough rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or overnight. Set the bowl in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Alternatively, you can cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise overnight in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours.
  6. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven to 370°F. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven fitted with a deep-fry thermometer over medium-high heat until 370ºF. Line a baking sheet with two layers of paper towels. If the dough is in the refrigerator, pull it out just before you heat the oil to give it 20 to 25 minutes to lose its chill while the oil warms up.
  7. Roll out and cut the dough. While the oil is heating, dust a work surface with about 1/4 cup of flour and dump the dough onto it. Roll the dough out to a 17x11-inch rectangle that is about 1/4-inch thick. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the dough into 20 to 22 (about 2-inch square) pieces. Don’t fret if some of the corner pieces are more triangular, and don’t reroll the dough.
  8. Fry 3 to 4 pieces at a time for 2 to 3 minutes. Fry 3 to 4 squares at a time: Gently add the beignets to the oil (you can use your hands or tongs). Immediately use a large heatproof spoon to ladle the hot oil over the pieces. Fry the first side until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Using the spoon or tongs, flip the beignets and fry until the second side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more.
  9. Transfer the fried beignets to the baking sheet. Transfer the pieces to the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough.
  10. Dust the beignets heavily with powdered sugar just before serving. Just before serving and while still warm, use a large fine-mesh strainer to generously dust the beignets with powdered sugar.

RECIPE NOTES​

Make ahead: These beignets are best eaten fresh, but the dough can be made the night before and proofed in the refrigerator overnight.

Poutine is something I had heard of, but had no idea what it was until I had some from the food truck. I looked for a recipe. If anyone can offer any thoughts about poutine, I'm open to it! I'm going to try to add some more recipes for other dishes.

If we are in SHTF situation and don't have much food selection, I think this would be good. It reminds me of my grandfather eating bread with gravy, but here it is potatoes.

https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/wprm_print/19847

Authentic Canadian Poutine​

Authentic Canadian Poutine featuring deep-fried fries, poutine gravy and white cheddar cheese curds all tossed together. Do be careful with deep frying. A proper deep fryer is recommended.
4.90 stars from 46 ratings

Prep Time: 30minutes mins
Cook Time: 30minutes mins
Total Time: 1hour hr
Yield: 3 people

Ingredients​

Poutine Gravy:​

• 3 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 20 oz beef broth
  • 10 oz chicken broth
  • Pepper, to taste

For Deep Fried Fries:​

• 2 lbs Russet potatoes, (3-4 medium potatoes)
  • Peanut or other frying oil

Toppings:​

• 1 - 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese curds, (Or torn chunks of mozzarella cheese would be the closest substitution)

Instructions​

• Prepare the gravy: In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water and set aside.
  • In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring regularly, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture turns golden brown.
  • Add the beef and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Stir in about HALF the cornstarch mixture and simmer for a minute or so. If you'd like your gravy thicker, add a more of the cornstarch mixture, in small increments, as needed, to thicken. Season with pepper. Taste and add additional salt, if necessary, to taste. Make ahead and re-warm or keep warm until your fries are ready.
  • For Deep-Fried Fries: Prepare your potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick sticks. Place into a large bowl and cover completely with cold water. Allow to stand at least one hour or several hours. When ready to cook, heat your oil in your deep fryer or large, wide, heavy cooking pot to 300° F.
  • Remove the potatoes from the water and place onto a sheet of paper towel. Blot to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
  • Add your fries to the 300°F oil and cook for 5-8 minutes, just until potatoes are starting to cook but are not yet browned. Remove potatoes from oil and scatter on a wire rack. Increase oil temperature to 375°F Once oil is heated to that temperature, return the potatoes to the fryer and cook until potatoes are golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined bowl.
  • To Prepare Poutine: Add your fried or baked fries to a large, clean bowl. Season lightly with salt while still warm. Add a ladle of hot poutine gravy to the bowl and using tongs, toss the fries in the gravy. Add more gravy, as needed to mostly coat the fries.
  • Add the cheese curds and toss with the hot fries and gravy. Serve with freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.
== ==
Been there..... had that.... eh...
To me the best has been when the gravy wasn't an overpowering flavor..
The cheese curds need to be squeaky fresh...
The French fries and gravy need to be molten lava hot to melt the cheese curds..
Even some places in the ..far frozen north.. don't know how to get it right.. If you do run into bad poutine ...spit it out.. and go something else.. This is my best advise... eh...

Poutine, truly surprised this wasn’t invented in the south—I’m a huge fan, especially if the curds are spicy (North Dakota vs. Minnesota style).

Quicker way to get beignets—get a can of Pillsbury crescent rolls. Cut those in half. Heat some oil in a deep frying skillet (bonus if old cast iron). Drop thawed r
half-cut rolls into oil, brown one side and then flip. Dry on a paper towel and then dust with powdered sugar.

no, I wasn’t born in Louisiana, but did live there for 13 years and this is as good if not better than cafe du monde.

of course, nothing in Louisiana beats boiled crawfish, except maybe boudin rolls

Another cross post.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/making-mixes-recipes-we-use.4253/post-249896
https://www.lifesatomato.com/2014/04/27/copycat-zatarains-jambalaya/
Copycat Zatarain's Jambalaya

Course: Main

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 3 batches of 4 servings

Ingredients
For the spice mix (makes 3 batches!)

• 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
  • 3 tablespoons dried onion flake
  • 3 tablespoons dried parsley flake
  • 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon minced dried chives
  • 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
For the jambalaya (makes 1 batch!)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 jar spice mix from above
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 1 pound smoked sausage cut into rounds
  • 1 pound 22-24 count shrimp peeled and deveined
Instructions
For the spice mix

• Combine all ingredients and divide into 3 jars.
  • Seal and add printed instructions if giving as a gift.
  • Store up to 6 months.
For the jambalya
  • Bring the water to boil in a large sauce pan.
  • Add the bell pepper and the spice mix and stir.
  • Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
  • In another saucepan,combine the tomato sauce and sausage. Stir in the shrimp and cook until they turn pink.
  • Combine both pans and mix well. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of water and stir.

River Road Original... Downloaded, saved as... The whole 265 pages...
Will spend some time going through that..
Will try the crescent roll beignets this winter.. I'm thinking trying with 0 calorie brown sugar and cinnamon...
Thanks for sharing...

southern cooking has its roots in soul food which comes from what the po people eat and how it was prepared

Many years ago slaves only ate what was the left overs from the Massers
For fresh food, they were not allowed to eat the fresh veggies and other foods that were for the masser
Example
The masser saw no use for the extra fat on a pig. A slave made cracklings
Masser ate the lettuce and sweet tomatoes. The slaves at a weed called turnip greens
Soul food is and always has been the worst cuts of meat and worst veggies that were made into delicious dishes by the slaves with its roots in Africa for spices and the influence of the creole people
This is where the Cajun food comes from

So in my family here is the basic ingredients to the start of a good stew

Or a gumbo. My starter is very versatile
I laugh about this but it is so true
First you have to master the making of a simple roux.
Basic roux. As basic as it gets
Equal parts flour and grease
Use a cast iron skillet and a wooden spoon
Heat 1/4 cup bacon grease. Till hot
Turn down to medium as you add the flour. Constant stir as you cook the flour
This action is what you need to practice. Cook with out burning
Add to your flour 1/4 cup milk and stir

Gonna pause
This next part is all about your preference
How thick do you want it?
Add milk or water to make the consistency you want. Longer it cooks the thicker it gets

Ok that’s a simple roux, add your stock to it as the foundation to your pot of yum yum

Kick it up?
Hell yeah!! 2 cups each
Chop onion, bell pepper, celery
-2 Can of cream of mushroom
These are called the trinity in Cajun cook books
Add

Sauté these in butter and seasonings
When soft and tender add to the roux you cooked
I use crab boil for seasoning. Also use tony treachers Cajun seasoning or a creole seasoning. Toss a tablespoon of cayenne pepper into that pot

So now you have a Dutch oven with 1/4 full of yum yum
Add to this pot
Red beans.
You can be smart or old school, your choice
Couple cans of red beans poured into the pot or you can soak dry beans over night
Your choice

Add the beans and your stock
Let simmer for an hour
Cut up 1 pound smoked link sausage
1- boiled de-boned chicken
Add to pot. Check taste. Adjust as needed
Make a big pot of rice
This is where my family gets up set
Half want to add the mixture to rice in a bowl the other half wants the rice already mixed in. Do what you like

"southern cooking has its roots in soul food which comes from what the po people eat and how it was prepared"
There are people who believe no white person eats catfish, blackeye peas, cornbread, poke salad or collards.
They think soul food is just African culture, not knowing all farmers eat what they could catch, very few white men in the South where rich or owned slaves. That everyone had to make do in hard times, the Cajun swamp rats had it better than most, they lived of the land & water.
Catfish, crayfish & gater was to them, like chicken or pork to us dry landers.

"southern cooking has its roots in soul food which comes from what the po people eat and how it was prepared"
There are people who believe no white person eats catfish, blackeye peas, cornbread, poke salad or collards.
They think soul food is just African culture, not knowing all farmers eat what they could catch, very few white men in the South where rich or owned slaves. That everyone had to make do in hard times, the Cajun swamp rats had it better than most, they lived of the land & water.
Catfish, crayfish & gater was to them, like chicken or pork to us dry landers.
True? Thanks Joel

Back when I was a kid. No one ate crawfish. It was catfish bait.

True? Thanks Joel

Back when I was a kid. No one ate crawfish. It was catfish bait.
There are different kinds of crawfish.
When I was in Bama we had lots in the cow pastures, none bigger than your middle finger, they were called crayfish and used for bait.
...Not crawfish:
Chimney%20vs%20Mower.jpg

0322-Chimneys.jpg

Crawfish:
6z9si5fvu3s21.jpg

Last edited:
southern cooking has its roots in soul food which comes from what the po people eat and how it was prepared

Many years ago slaves only ate what was the left overs from the Massers
For fresh food, they were not allowed to eat the fresh veggies and other foods that were for the masser
Example
The masser saw no use for the extra fat on a pig. A slave made cracklings
Masser ate the lettuce and sweet tomatoes. The slaves at a weed called turnip greens
Soul food is and always has been the worst cuts of meat and worst veggies that were made into delicious dishes by the slaves with its roots in Africa for spices and the influence of the creole people
This is where the Cajun food comes from

So in my family here is the basic ingredients to the start of a good stew

Or a gumbo. My starter is very versatile
I laugh about this but it is so true
First you have to master the making of a simple roux.
Basic roux. As basic as it gets
Equal parts flour and grease
Use a cast iron skillet and a wooden spoon
Heat 1/4 cup bacon grease. Till hot
Turn down to medium as you add the flour. Constant stir as you cook the flour
This action is what you need to practice. Cook with out burning
Add to your flour 1/4 cup milk and stir

Gonna pause
This next part is all about your preference
How thick do you want it?
Add milk or water to make the consistency you want. Longer it cooks the thicker it gets

Ok that’s a simple roux, add your stock to it as the foundation to your pot of yum yum

Kick it up?
Hell yeah!! 2 cups each
Chop onion, bell pepper, celery
-2 Can of cream of mushroom
These are called the trinity in Cajun cook books
Add

Sauté these in butter and seasonings
When soft and tender add to the roux you cooked
I use crab boil for seasoning. Also use tony treachers Cajun seasoning or a creole seasoning. Toss a tablespoon of cayenne pepper into that pot

So now you have a Dutch oven with 1/4 full of yum yum
Add to this pot
Red beans.
You can be smart or old school, your choice
Couple cans of red beans poured into the pot or you can soak dry beans over night
Your choice

Add the beans and your stock
Let simmer for an hour
Cut up 1 pound smoked link sausage
1- boiled de-boned chicken
Add to pot. Check taste. Adjust as needed
Make a big pot of rice
This is where my family gets up set
Half want to add the mixture to rice in a bowl the other half wants the rice already mixed in. Do what you like
Thank you!

Ah ben tol ya ma uncle mayed a Cajn gul frm raht buv da Big lake.

Dey wuz cajun reds.

I love everything with Red pepper and every type of thing from the best thing I can get ahold of Blackened catfish on a buttered grit and spinach pilaf, down to the snakes head and the gator tale, muddys IF the cook does the work most have no idea and you can get some nasty ones out and about.

Unk died in Dallas Texas The family moved back to St Tammary those left are still there

Ah ben tol ya ma uncle mayed a Cajn gul frm raht buv da Big lake.

Dey wuz cajun reds.

I love everything with Red pepper and every type of thing from the best thing I can get ahold of Blackened catfish on a buttered grit and spinach pilaf, down to the snakes head and the gator tale, muddys IF the cook does the work most have no idea and you can get some nasty ones out and about.

Unk died in Dallas Texas The family moved back to St Tammary those left are still there
That kind of food just somehow enters your soul!!

At the business I ran when I lived on the bayou we I did this for our employees at least once a month when the crawfish were in season. Invited the families and I this is what we did the last hour of the workday. A lot of fun and good eating.

At the business I ran when I lived on the bayou we I did this for our employees at least once a month when the crawfish were in season. Invited the families and I this is what we did the last hour of the workday. A lot of fun and good eating.
There were some families in the program that I taught in that were from Louisiana. One of the grandfathers had a crawfish farm in Louisiana. Shortly after school was out for the summer, boxes of crawfish were flown in and there would be a big potluck. Such good eating!

Ya'll are determined that i take a train ride to New orleans. It's been years since i've gotten shrimp or crawfish right off a boat. Used to ride the train to nola every month for work. Great food!

Been thinking about it for a while now. I'd like to spend a few days there again, midweek. Just eat my way across the city. So much good food... Round trip on the train is cheap, decent hotel, not! :(

Last edited:
Ya'll are determined that i take a train ride to New orleans. It's been years since i've gotten shrimp or crawfish right off a boat. Used to ride the train to nola every month for work. Great food!

Been thinking about it for a while now. I'd like to spend a few days there again, midweek. Just eat my way across the city. So much good food... Round trip on the train is cheap, decent hotel, not! :(
Better carry yo bullet proof vest if you gonna be in nooawlins afta dak off u de strip and be sho ta bolt yo dos An rac de 9.

Latest posts

Back