Canned MEAT-Canned MEAT-Commercial Packed "Canned MEAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last potted meat was very runny, won’t buy it anymore, what about potted spam, I think 🤔
Me too! I ate a lot of potted meat when young, working in the field. Even lunch sacks. They came in handy and I always liked it. But not the vienna sausages. Anyway, bought some potted meat a couple years ago. Did not care for it, disappointing. No plans to buy more.

of the Underwood meat spreads - chicken, corned beef and deviled ham. The chicken and corned beef spreads were awful IMHO.

I have never liked the underwood spreads. They are soupy with no flavor.

I do like the spreadable spam. Or did like, I haven't seen it at the market in more than a year. I look every time I go down the canned meat isle, bummer. For lunch I'd take a little can with crackers to the hay field, add some chips or fruit. Even ate them at home when the power was out, usually with crackers but a white bread sammich with mayo and fresh cracked pepper was good too.

I also liked to buy the spam single serving packets. Just a slice the size of white bread, perfect for sandwiches. Fry one up for lunch and I don't have to eat spam for 2 days by opening a can.

As a change up I buy the "Bumble Bee" "snack on the run". A box, inside is a small can of tuna salad or ham salad or chicken, a pkg of crackers and a plastic spork. It's cheap, easy, used to keep a couple in the glove box of the farm truck. They are much better than the underwood spreads. (crackers are crappy wheat but better than nothing)

Last edited:
We can do that too, know what lungs and tripe look like?

Don't waste the red, I got a British recipe for Black sausage!
Cool, I have had tripe, hogshead cheese, but no lungs & brains. Snails & gaters, frog legs, but no blood pudding.

Well cool! you need a processor capable of liquefying soft body parts and summer sausage casings.
In a 3 gallon steel kettle mix one set of beef or pork lungs and one cow or pig liver liquefied, 3 pints of cow or pork blood, three cups of cracked and roasted buckwheat, a finely diced or liquefied onion and garlic to taste. a tablespoon of cracked black pepper and one of red pepper and one cup whole wheat flour. add olive oil until it is pourable and stuff casings up to 1' in length and boil in flat beer, they can now be served or smoked and or pickled.

There's an Irish version which is a bit tangy.

People—not just the Irish—have been eating blood puddings for centuries, in cultures all around the world. No Irish fry is truly complete without at least a slice of black and a slice of white pudding. And it's not just for breakfast anymore. Talented Irish chefs have found ways to incorporate it into salads and main dishes. Black pudding recipe vary wildly throughout Ireland; some include barley, breadcrumbs, and flour, but oatmeal is the old-fashioned thickener. Be sure it's steel-cut or pinhead oatmeal, and cook it until just tender. Individual nubs of oats should be visible in the final product. Store-bought versions will always be made in sausage casings, unlike this recipe, packed into a loaf pan.
It is far easier to buy black pudding ready-made, and there are lots of artisan producers making truly worthy black versions. But if you're able to come into possession of fresh pig's blood, you'll be all set to make this recipe. And if not—well, you'll know precisely what a good black pudding should contain.

Ingredients​

Makes about 3 pounds
4 cups fresh pig's blood
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups steel-cut (pinhead) oatmeal
2 cups finely diced pork fat (or beef suet), finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice

Step 1​

1 Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease 2 glass loaf pans. (If you don't have glass loaf pans, line metal loaf pans with parchment to keep the blood sausage from reacting with the metal and creating an off-flavor.) Stir 1 teaspoon of salt into the blood.

Step 2​

2 Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil and stir in the oats. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, until just tender, not mushy.

Step 3​

3 Pour the blood through a fine sieve into a large bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in the fat, onion, milk, pepper, allspice and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Add the oatmeal and mix to combine. Divide the mixture between the loaf pans, cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour, until firm. Cool completely. Seal in plastic wrap and wither freeze for extended use or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Just added snails to my canned meat inventory.

DW said the same thing, parasites should die in boiling water or baking. The Escargot I ate was really salty & covered with butter.
If the salt did not kill them, then the stomach acid & Gases should do the job. That was over four years ago, & knock on wood.

DW said the same thing, parasites should die in boiling water or baking. The Escargot I ate was really salty & covered with butter.
If the salt did not kill them, then the stomach acid & Gases should do the job. That was over four years ago, & knock on wood.
Exactly, at 10psi (235℉) to 15psi (250℉) for 75 minutes...

I agree no insects/bugs, snails are not insects.

This is a partial list of edible molluscs. Molluscs are a large phylum of invertebrate animals, many of which have shells. Edible molluscs are harvested from saltwater, freshwater, and the land, and include numerous members of the classes Gastropoda (snails), Bivalvia (clams, scallops, oysters etc.), Cephalopoda (octopus and squid), and Polyplacophora (chitons).

Many species of molluscs are eaten worldwide, either cooked or raw. Some mollusc species are commercially exploited and shipped as part of the international trade in shellfish; other species are harvested, sold and consumed locally. Some species are collected and eaten locally but are rarely bought and sold. A few species of molluscs are not commonly eaten now, but were eaten in historical or prehistoric times.

The list is divided into marine and non-marine (terrestrial and freshwater) species, and within those divisions, the lists are primarily arranged taxonomically, so that related species are grouped together.

I avoid Oysters too, can't afford clams, and won't eat any shrimp but Louisiana caught. đź–•Chinese slop it's all toxic đź’©!
I love oysters and shrimp. We don't eat anything from China. We rarely buy anything from China but never any food.

I totally refuse to eat Chinese food. about ten years ago there was a scandal about them adding rocket fuel to pet and BABY food to raise the protein level, said fuel was toxic as hell and resulted in hundreds of dead pets and several dead children. It makes me mad as hell the story went away when the CEO of that company killed himself. Did he know the Clintons?

I totally refuse to eat Chinese food. about ten years ago there was a scandal about them adding rocket fuel to pet and BABY food to raise the protein level, said fuel was toxic as hell and resulted in hundreds of dead pets and several dead children. It makes me mad as hell the story went away when the CEO of that company killed himself. Did he know the Clintons?
Not exactly...

Zhang Yujun and Geng Jinping were executed on 24 November 2009.

Read all about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

When my daughter was born we trusted beech nut baby foods until we heard the apple juice contained no apples.
I corrected the name of the company.

Last edited:
When my daughter was born we trusted gerber baby foods until we heard the apple juice contained no apples.
There is a story that goes...

Gerber was trying to expand into Africa but the sales were dismal. Researched revealed many were illiterate and trusted the picture on the label to represent what was in the jar.

:rolleyes:

Ben

I love oysters and shrimp. We don't eat anything from China. We rarely buy anything from China but never any food.

Fortunately we have access to seafood from Alaskan sources. But they have gotten expensive, haven’t they? I love just about anything that come from our clear, cold and deep waters.

Fortunately we have access to seafood from Alaskan sources. But they have gotten expensive, haven’t they? I love just about anything that come from our clear, cold and deep waters.
A buck each for local oysters, in the shell. Have to get off my duff and throw a shrimp pot over.

I need to get down there. Maybe late Oct or Nov. Is that too late to catch something?

You could catch a cold!
What do you want?

As George Thorogood/John Lee Hooker sang, I want “one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.”

That and a nice halibut and some rock fish. Or anything else in season.

When my daughter was born we trusted gerber baby foods until we heard the apple juice contained no apples.
Do you have a link.

Last edited:
Know what I'm dying to do? cook up a bunch of wild boar/deer and make tacos and give one to a snowflake, then tell him what they were after he wolfs the third one! Shame possum tastes nothing like beef.

I have some canned chicken....I just don't know how to use it in normal meals.
Chicken salad sandwiches,

Chicken and noodles (use one of the flavored noodle packets or egg noodles)

Chicken pot pie (add some vegetables, a can of cream of something soup and put some biscuits on top, bake.

Had a "Home Wrecker" Burrito at Moe's, Have not had one in some time.

Latest posts

Back