Canned MEAT-Canned MEAT-Commercial Packed "Canned MEAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I ordered 24 cans of 28 oz. KEYSTONE beef, delivered $370.00

And that was a $88.00 "SAVINGS"...... it still hurt.

Last edited:
Last night I ordered 24 cans of 38 oz. KEYSTONE beef, delivered $370.00

And that was a $88.00 "SAVINGS"...... it still hurt.
That works out to $6.49/Lb canned and delivered. All in all not terrible.

What is the printed self life on those cans?
The shelf life on any protein is the lifetime of the can. If it corrodes from the inside or outside the food is gone. If a seal goes bad don't eat the food. this is true for most vegetables also. Canned goods over 100 years old have been tested as edible and most of the nutrition remained. There are rare canned items that I might concern myself about but not much.

the price may bite now but 6 months from now it will seem like a big savings you got. prices just going insane specially on meats. i think weve reached the point of get whatever you can now cause its only going to get harder to find or afford tomorrow.

Thanks for the update Curmudgeon! That looks like it would make some great chicken stew!!!!
It would indeed.UPDATE:

We accidentally forgot burger the other day and was in need of it, so I opened a can of the Keystone burger last night and made goulash, it was great, this canned meat will impress ya.half a can was plenty enough for us, tonight we we use it up making tacos

We haven't tried the Keystone Ground Beef yet, but it's good to hear positive things about it.
I must say I was skeptical, something about it didn't sound right, lol. I kept threatening to try it and had not until our hand was forced to.

The one can of ground beef I tried was very good.. It did not have a good visual look when the can was first opened.. But then home canned ground beef doesn't look that great in the room temp sealed jar either..

Did your wife cook the ground beef first? I tried the raw cannintg and ended up giving it to the dos.

What do you mean 'raw canning'? Everything that is canned, gets very well cooked by being canned.

I've never canned ground beef but through the years I've watched videos of others doing it. I don't remember ever seeing one where they just packed the jar with raw ground meat to process but I've seen a few people like Dani mention it in the comment sections. It seems like they weren't happy with the way it turned out. If I remember correctly, they didn't like the texture of the meat. Other people may have had better results though.

Love, love the raw pack canning process.. It is likely the simplest, easiest, quickest way to put up a significant quantity of un ground meat product.. No salt or other spices makes the product more versatile when used..

I even participated in canning ..Homemade Spam.. once.. This project likely borders on the side of ..rebel canning.. but it was quite successful..

Just bought a case of tuna fish, mostly it is cheaper than buying three cans every week. I go shopping as little as need be.
I do not eat bread, butter last a long time & milk last ten days.
So I shop twice a month, unless one of my spies reports that there is a big sale.

Okay, today the wife was planning to use the last of a freshly stewed chicken to make casseroles but she came up short, I pulled out a can of chicken breast... She had forgotten that I had purchased it (thanks to you guys) and it turned out really well.

Then she starts in with canned beef (got that), canned pork (how about a canned ham?)... anyway she is really picky, do any of you have a favorite way to use a canned ham?

I guess I'm really looking for good recipes that she can use to evaluate all the different canned meats that I have on the food storage shelves.

Commercial canned ham usually is barely a step above pulled pork texture I found.. So I have cubed it and used in Kraft Dinner ...mac and cheese... Also in a overnight slow cooker breakfast casserole... From the bottom up, onion slices, frozen hash browns, cubed ham, red yellow diced peppers NO green peppers, a dozen cracked eggs, bag of shredded cheese, black pepper, butter...

Then she starts in with canned beef (got that), canned pork (how about a canned ham?)... anyway she is really picky, do any of you have a favorite way to use a canned ham?
When I was fresh out of High school, I rented for about six years.
Being single, I would slice can ham & make ham & cheese sandwiches
for lunch.

Latest posts

Back