Car Preparedness

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have been wanting to do a thread about preps for cars. I think no matter where you live, you can have potential disasters that you can prepare for. There are things that you can equip your car with and then ways to behave if you get stranded in your vehicle, shown in this meme from FEMA.

Car Preparedness.JPG

1. Water--jugs or a case or two of individual water bottles

2. blankets --Someone showed me that they keep blankets on their bench seat in the back of the car. They cover the seat with a blanket which is spread out to cover the seat. I have seen them over the back of the seat as well. This person was moving and put several blankets across her seat. This would work for some, but not for all.

3. Shelf stable foods--hard candy, granola type bars, chewing gum, jerky, trail mix

4. A roll of t.p. in a zipper type bag or a box of tissues

5. A candle--I have a candle I have had since I lived in North Dakota, 30 + years ago. It is in a can and is meant to be used for preparedness--a long burn type candle.

6. Matches or a lighter, fire starters

7. Clothing--Spare winter hats and gloves or mittens; warm socks, spare jackets, rain poncho, walking shoes for every family member if they don't wear them regularly

8. Change--rolls of quarters and loose change. I use one of those small plastic boxes in the fishing section to keep change. I also keep a couple rolls of quarters.

9. First aid kit--I keep sunscreen and insect repellent in mine as well.

11. Overnight kits--simple basic contents--spare underwear, socks, pajamas, tooth brush, tooth paste, hair brush, wash cloth, razor. An individual bottle of water can be included here as well.

This could be a help also in an evacuation or bug out situation.

Last edited:
A couple decades ago when I lived in Colorado Springs, there had been a local news story about having a "winter kit" in your car (I want to say it came after a story where someone had been stranded in their vehicle in the snow). That was my first exposure to preparedness, even though I didn't know it as such then.

But it made so much sense. So for Christmas that year I made every person in my family a very simple "winter kit" (blanket, water, long-term snack, hand and feet warmers, flashlight, batteries, candle, matches - might have been more, I don't remember now). I was thinking of their safety. But they all looked at me condescendingly and said that made more sense for me living in Colorado, maybe, but they were in Ohio and had no need. They never put the kits in their cars. And since that time there have been plenty of snowed-in on the highway situations - all parts of the country should be prepared.

Last edited:
A couple decades ago when I lived in Colorado Spring, there had been a local news story about having a "winter kit" in your car (I want to say it came after a story where someone had been stranded in their vehicle in the snow). That was my first exposure to preparedness, even though I didn't know it as such then.

But it made so much sense. So for Christmas that year I made every person in my family a very simple "winter kit" (blanket, water, long-term snack, hand and feet warmers, flashlight, batteries, candle, matches - might have been more, I don't remember now). I was thinking of their safety. But they all looked at me condescendingly and said that made more sense for me living in Colorado, maybe, but they were in Ohio and had no need. They never put the kits in their cars. And since that time there have been plenty of snowed-in on the highway situations - all parts of the country should be prepared.
Yes, every place has things that can happen that can be dangerous.

I remember a story of a father and son who went hiking somewhere in Arizona, and somehow, didn't have enough water with them and died. You might freeze to death in a snow storm, but you can die from dehydration in the desert.

I have a tire repair kit (plug type), tool kit, water- both for me and the car, Food and change but I quit carrying a change of clothes since I got married. I do have some cold weather gear like chains, a balaclava, gloves and overboots. I also carry ATF, oil and antifreeze in the car. I don't carry spare gas but I do have a gas can, a length of 3/8" fuel line and a large funnel. I carry a spare set of points, a condenser, rotor and cap for my ignition system. I haven't ever had to use any of the supplies other than a pair of pliers to replace a leaky fuel line last week. I have needed items in the past when I didn't have them but I am better at taking care of my vehicles and better prepared now.

I know a woman that got stuck in Seattle traffic a couple of years ago during a big snow storm.
She spent over 10 hours sitting on I5 with nothing to survive on.
She was less than 100 yards from a major shopping mall but couldn't get there because of the freeway and the terrain between her and the mall.
No food, no water, no blanket, nothing.
She swore she will never let it happen again and she is now prepared to last for as long as it takes.
We keep bags in our vehicles to survive the conditions.
Food,water,warm cloths, blankets, candles that are kept in a small can that can be used to melt snow if needed.
Plus all the usual stuff we carry just in case.
I remember a story about an older couple that got caught in a blizzard in one of the Dakotas.
Their car was covered in snow and they had been stranded for several days but survived because they were prepared.
They said the best thing they had was candles and a can to melt snow.
They were found by a snowmobiler that saw the tip of their radio antenna sticking out of the snow.
Nothing else was visible.

I know a woman that got stuck in Seattle traffic a couple of years ago during a big snow storm.
She spent over 10 hours sitting on I5 with nothing to survive on.
She was less than 100 yards from a major shopping mall but couldn't get there because of the freeway and the terrain between her and the mall.
No food, no water, no blanket, nothing.
She swore she will never let it happen again and she is now prepared to last for as long as it takes.
We keep bags in our vehicles to survive the conditions.
Food,water,warm cloths, blankets, candles that are kept in a small can that can be used to melt snow if needed.
Plus all the usual stuff we carry just in case.
I remember a story about an older couple that got caught in a blizzard in one of the Dakotas.
Their car was covered in snow and they had been stranded for several days but survived because they were prepared.
They said the best thing they had was candles and a can to melt snow.
They were found by a snowmobiler that saw the tip of their radio antenna sticking out of the snow.
Nothing else was visible.
A decade or so ago, there was a really bad blizzard in South Dakota. I believe something like 19 people died from that storm that raged for a few days. One of the stories was a few people who froze to death in a car. One of the men didn't have any shoes. Some had no coats.

I have seen children who go to school in their parents car, get out, go into the school, and then at the end of the day, the same is reversed, with no coat. It can be very cold out. They all think they are in a warm car, no need for a coat. I see it differently, but, that is based on my experience or knowledge.

Being in a car, we are out of the wind. That helps. But cars are not necessarily warm. You can get really cold over night in a car, even in the summer.

My other thought is that when there is a predicted bad storm, I stay home. I take care of business before the storm hits. If I need groceries or gas or something, I get that done ASAP, not when I know the storm is going to be. But have you ever seen it storming and people feel the need to be on the streets, with places to go and things to do? If I had a plan, I cancel it and stay home. Is that being prepared as well?

Probably my biggest prep is keeping my car maintained. I keep a folding shovel, lighter, cigarette lighter, knife, flare kit, flashlight with charging cable to fit the cigarette lighter socket, coins, oil, water, spare car key, passports, pliers, crescent wrench, multi tool, screwdriver w/multiple bits, extension cord, tape (in Alaska if you don't have duct tape and a knife they take away your man card).

If I go more than an hour south or half an hour north I have food, more water, jumper battery w/ light and compressor. first aid kit, 2 space sleeping bags and two space blankets, maps, TP, more.

My other thought is that when there is a predicted bad storm, I stay home. I take care of business before the storm hits. If I need groceries or gas or something, I get that done ASAP, not when I know the storm is going to be. But have you ever seen it storming and people feel the need to be on the streets, with places to go and things to do? If I had a plan, I cancel it and stay home. Is that being prepared as well?

Whether or not it's preparedness, it's definitely good sense. (I'd consider it preparedness, too.)

I hadn't read your thread before I posted mine about making 72 hour kits. Yep, stay home. We are that far into technology to know when bad weather conditions are going to happen.
What I don't like: when people plan events, knowing bad weather is expected, and wait until the last couple of hours before the event to cancel it.

I did get stranded overnight during a snow storm once. I lived in Buffalo NY. I left Jamestown NY about 9pm. Before leaving town I picked up some KFC and a large soda for dinner at home. Ironically, I got run off the road by a snowplow! The driver never saw me. :mad:

I always kept a 10ft tow chain and an army surplus mummy bag behind the seat. I had dinner then refilled my soda cup with snow. I settled in for the night. About 4am I heard a snowplow coming… he pulled me out of the ditch. He was probably the jerk who put me in the ditch.

After that I always kept extra goodies in my truck. I had a camper shell so I filled up a couple of milk crates with munchies and a coleman lantern, a flare gun and road flares also. The best thing I bought was a box of hand warmers, the disposable kind. I wonder if they still make those? They would be excellent in a winter car kit. Yep, they still make them. I found them on amazon, “Hot Hands Hand Warmers”. They now make toe warmers too.

Thankfully I never had to use my goodies except the hand warmers. I went to a Bills football game in another snow storm. The hand warmers worked. :)

When I still worked for the FD I have been on the scene of a large structure fire (read here condo or apartment) and have had people drive up to the fire scene in their PJ and house slippers who had left their homes to go to Starbucks or grocery stores and hour before the fire started ! They would beg to be let on site so they could retrieve something so they would not have to stand in public with just next to nothing, Talk about not being prepared !!! Observing these situations only reinforced my life long habit of never leaving my abode without being fully dressed and attired for the weather conditions. These poor people left their home fully convinced that nothing could ever happen to them. The DW has a GHB and well made walking boots in her car because with her having to work in an office where the required footwear is useless for travel (non driving of course).

When I still worked for the FD I have been on the scene of a large structure fire (read here condo or apartment) and have had people drive up to the fire scene in their PJ and house slippers who had left their homes to go to Starbucks or grocery stores and hour before the fire started ! They would beg to be let on site so they could retrieve something so they would not have to stand in public with just next to nothing, Talk about not being prepared !!! Observing these situations only reinforced my life long habit of never leaving my abode without being fully dressed and attired for the weather conditions. These poor people left their home fully convinced that nothing could ever happen to them. The DW has a GHB and well made walking boots in her car because with her having to work in an office where the required footwear is useless for travel (non driving of course).
I grew up that pajamas were clothing you wore at home, and to bed. Nowadays, it is not uncommon to see people at the grocery store in their p.j.s and slippers (some call them house shoes). The business of getting in an automobile just seems to be an extension of home to some people, and everything is okay.

Here the big problem is heat. We got stuck in traffic on I-75 coming back from Atlanta from a major wreck. All the heat coming from cars running using AC made temp even hotter. I thought I'd pass out. Never travel again without cooler filled with ice,water and snacks and of course weapon .

In Texas, your vehicle is legally considered your castle domain and you can have a weapon in your vehicle without having a license to carry. So pajamas, I see it everywhere.

When my vehicle is sitting still, the AC doesn't get or stay as cold because the engine is only spinning at 800 RPM. Turning slower also is the ac compressor.

In Texas, your vehicle is legally considered your castle domain and you can have a weapon in your vehicle without having a license to carry. So pajamas, I see it everywhere.

When my vehicle is sitting still, the AC doesn't get or stay as cold because the engine is only spinning at 800 RPM. Turning slower also is the ac compressor.

We turn ours off so as not to heat up and join those stuck on the side of the road .

Here the big problem is heat. We got stuck in traffic on I-75 coming back from Atlanta from a major wreck. All the heat coming from cars running using AC made temp even hotter. I thought I'd pass out. Never travel again without cooler filled with ice,water and snacks and of course weapon .
There have been individual fans that run on a battery or two. That is not something I have ever owned or had, but I think in the South, it might be something to consider. I have no idea if it would be worth the investment.

A cooler is something that we usually travel with and often a bag or box of snacks. Cheese, water, yogurt, beverages, hard boiled eggs, hummus, veggie to snack on, cream for my coffee are some things we have had in our cooler over the years. Last summer I took some steaks on a trip to see someone.

There have been individual fans that run on a battery or two. That is not something I have ever owned or had, but I think in the South, it might be something to consider. I have no idea if it would be worth the investment.

A cooler is something that we usually travel with and often a bag or box of snacks. Cheese, water, yogurt, beverages, hard boiled eggs, hummus, veggie to snack on, cream for my coffee are some things we have had in our cooler over the years. Last summer I took some steaks on a trip to see someone.

We have a fan you plug into lighter and for a small fan it works really well. Of course if the tie up had of lasted any longer we could have put fan over ice for relief. Thanks fro reminding me about that. :thumbs up::Thankyou:

Fully dressed even for the very short walk to mail box. Armed at all times. Water in car at all times, and food in auto if driving more that 5 miles from home. Extra warm insulated shirt kept in car. Heavy coat in car if winter time (temp below 65). I was once stranded along side the road and did not have the extra clothing or food. It has never happen again.

Never less than 1/2 tank of gas, full if heading on highway, seasonally approriate clothing, water, food, vehicle emergency kit, blankets etc in winter. If truck is leaving main road add shovel, bowsaw, axe, chains, chainsaw, full bob, walking sticks, rope and more

When my gas gauge gets to the half full mark I have already used 3/4 of the fuel in the car. I fill it up before that point but I still don't put gas in very often. I keep hearing stories of gas going bad in a couple of months yet I ad gas about that often or a bit longer and my gas doesn't go bad. I don't use additives, I just fill the tank. Been doing that for the last 20 years or so without any problems.

Never less than 1/2 tank of gas, full if heading on highway, seasonally approriate clothing, water, food, vehicle emergency kit, blankets etc in winter. If truck is leaving main road add shovel, bowsaw, axe, chains, chainsaw, full bob, walking sticks, rope and more
Having had to sleep in my car a couple times in the summer, unexpectedly, I keep blankets year round. A thin cotton blanket keeps off the potential bugs. I also know that it does get cool in the nights, and something to cover up with made a difference.

I had borrowed the truck from work that had a v-snowplow on front. I was attacking snowdrifts on my road and watching the remains of the snowdrifts go flying. On a side road I saw a car stuck in a drift. I back up, got out and walked to the car and asked if they wanted help. They were wearing tank tops, shorts and flips flops! When I asked if they had a shovel their reply was a blank look on their faces. They sat in their car as I plowed the snow away form the front of their car. Then I back the truck up close to their front bumper. One end of the chain went on the truck's hitch. The other end of the chain I motioned for the car occupants to hook on their car. Another blank look from them. I was thinking about leaving them when a neighbor arrived on his tractor. Between me and the neighbor we pushed them free and watch as the car went on down the road without so much of a thank you. Guess they were late for their appointment for shopping at Walt-Mart?

For grins and giggles the next time you take the better half to Wall-mart during the winter stay in the car. Watch how many drive around and around trying to park as close to the store as they can. Then they run into the store wearing summer clothes!

Last edited:
I had borrowed the truck from work that had a v-snowplow on front. I was attacking snowdrifts on my road and watching the remains of the snowdrifts go flying. On a side road I saw a car stuck in a drift. I back up, got out and walked to to the car and asked if they wanted help. They were wearing tank tops, shorts and flips flops! When I asked if they had a shovel their reply was a blank look on their faces. They sat in their car as I plowed the snow away form the front of their car. Then I back the truck up close to their front bumper. One end of the chain whet on the truck's hitch. The other end of the chain I motioned for the car occupants to hook on their car. Another blank look from them. I was thinking about leaving them when a neighbor arrived on his tractor. Between me and the neighbor we pushed them free and watch as the car went continued down the road without so much of a thank you. Guess they were late for their appointment for shopping at Walt-Mart?

For grins and giggles the next time you take the better half to Wall-mart during the winter stay in the car. Watch how many drive around and around trying to park as close to the store as they can. Then they run into the store wearing summer clothes!
Yes!
People think if they have a car, they will be fine. I saw another man wearing a down coat, hat and shorts. It must be a thing! Or maybe people find it cheaper to buy shorts instead of pants.

My Biggest Prep is my vehicles get open checkbook maintenance.

Every single fluid gets changed IAW maintenance schedule, sometimes earlier. Coolant, Powersteering fluid, brake fluid, transmission fluid, Transfercase fluid, rear differential fluid and even front differential fluid.
Belt+hoses get closely inspected once per year. Radiator above a 10 yrs of age get replaced even if no symptoms are shown.

Each my my vehicles has new or newer AGM Cell batteries, Batteries get replaced while still relatively young (3 yrs) and with quality batteries only.
I am currently running an experiment with a slightly oversized (group 24F, stock is group 35) AGM cell battery.
Its been in 2 yrs, still tests at 99% of as new charge, since it holds a lot more charge than the stock , at 99% as -new, it still holds more charge than a brand new stock battery .... I will test it at the 3 yr mark and am confident I can keep it past 3 yrs, but only since its a very premium battery (Bosch Platinum Series AGM) that's one step up in size to begin with.

(Buying batteries TOO big is a problem too as alternators cannot keep up, especially with AGM cell batteries and their extra capacities... )

Each of my 2 SUVs has a couple of spare pairs of socks, some tools, tire repair kit, some water, couple of protein bars, a knife, spare t shirts, spare under wear, spare sweat shirt, 1 jacket and 1 blanket (sometimes two).
Also keep 2-3 cans of Seafoam. Not to clean the fuel system, but to serve as a forever lasting gasoline ersatz... 10-12 miles of extra fuel can make all the difference.

I generally dont keep tires past 25,000 miles.
Older tires puncture easier, brake less good and have less traction for emergency maneuvers of any kind.

Also I generally fill up as soon as the gas gauge gets below 3/4s unless i am on a long trip and want to move some older gas out of the tank.. then I will take it down to 1/4 but will fill up w/o fail at the end of the day.

One of my 2 vehicles is always topped up to the brim.. When I switch between SUVs every half week or so, the one I was using gets topped off before I park it and start running the other one for the next half week or so.

I used to carry spare pants and boots when I still wore dressy outfits at work.. but I no longer do and my work clothes/shows are now clothes can can E&E in.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of foods to keep in my car for emergencies. They get too hot in the summer and freeze in the winter.

Some ideas:
peanuts
nuts
granola type bars
hard candy
Pretzels
Crackers
Canned fruit

This is not easy! More suggestions, please.

If I were to keep food that needed to be heated, such as soup, I would need a stove, or something to heat it with.That is not impossible or that difficult.

I'd suggest changing the food twice a year. In the spring perhaps canned goods, like chile, that you can eat without warming. The heat in the vehicle will deteriorate anything quicker so you'll have to eat it soon after the fall switchover. In the fall go for your granola or other items that don't matter how cold they get.

Latest posts

Back