Concern about missing members

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not on 24/7 and may have missed something. If he has been banned, that was pretty quick. Does it mean you are okay to insult members but not administrators? Insult an admin and you get banned? Insult several members and you are given chance after chance after chance.

We had a former member who went after lots of people but was not banned for far too long. The only sense I could make about it was they she posted lots of comments in a day. Was that because admins were not on the receiving end of her nastygrams? It really never made sense to me, but she also had "friends" here who became her flying monkeys!

Was he given a time out, or is he banned? He no longer has a profile here, so he is gone!
Gone!

I'm not on 24/7 and may have missed something. If he has been banned, that was pretty quick.
If you were on 24/7 or at least late night like a few of us are - you would realize the words "pretty quick" do not apply here (if banning was what actually happened). Bad stuff happens at night, possibly fueled by intoxicants. Not just insults, but profane bigoted rants that could kill a forum. By next day the mods have cleaned it up, most of these really bad posts just disappear into thin air, with no record that they ever existed. So many members never see it, and hopefully Google hasn't indexed it yet. This protects the forum to some degree, so I guess it's a good thing. But the flip side is that many members may never really know who they are interacting with.

I wouldn't want to be a moderator. Hard decisions, I'm sure. But it comes down to "protect the forum first, everything else is secondary to that". At least IMHO. Our mods here do a great job, I dare say probably the best job I have seen on any forum. So thanks mods!

He's not missing.

I don't consider him "missing" either.

If you were on 24/7 or at least late night like a few of us are - you would realize the words "pretty quick" do not apply here (if banning was what actually happened). Bad stuff happens at night, possibly fueled by intoxicants. Not just insults, but profane bigoted rants that could kill a forum. By next day the mods have cleaned it up, most of these really bad posts just disappear into thin air, with no record that they ever existed. So many members never see it, and hopefully Google hasn't indexed it yet. This protects the forum to some degree, so I guess it's a good thing. But the flip side is that many members may never really know who they are interacting with.

I wouldn't want to be a moderator. Hard decisions, I'm sure. But it comes down to "protect the forum first, everything else is secondary to that". At least IMHO. Our mods here do a great job, I dare say probably the best job I have seen on any forum. So thanks mods!

I don't consider him "missing" either.
I have no doubt that there were late night profane and bigoted rants, fuel by intoxicants. Intoxicants can make people bolder and foolish.

Yes, I visited the other forum that 5 of us members fled from and went to TF, and then to here.
I watched the other forum get burned to the ground, going from over a hundred posts per day to...
Wow! They had 5 whole new posts today (Saturday)!!! :woo hoo: (not threads, posts).
At some points in time, it was more like 5 posts a month. One of the guys who never got invited over here thinks it is about a lack of interest in preparedness, etc. He had no idea about what really went down. I loved how it happened. It was like a quiet coup!

I missed what ever happened with wingy. Found a good cat meme, typed his name here and nada, realized he wasn't listed. I avoid debate threads anyway, don't have the energy for it. There are a lot of threads I skip, if they've been going 3 days I might get curious.

Sorry he's gone, he brought energy, posted interesting photos, had an interesting way of seeing the world.

Alcohol and computers, always a bad combo. personal experience with that one. :(

At some points in time, it was more like 5 posts a month. One of the guys who never got invited over here thinks it is about a lack of interest in preparedness, etc. He had no idea about what really went down. I loved how it happened. It was like a quiet coup!
I'm not so sure about quiet. I'd bet good money that there was yelling and cussing on the other side of their monitor.

Wings is gone for good then? Man I haven't even been on here long.
He wasn't the first, and likely won't be the last. I appreciate that bullying is not allowed, although we had one person who was allowed to be here way too long, because she posted so much, and that is important, the number of posts a forum like this gets, good, bad, ugly, or whatever. So if you want to be a bully here, post 100's of posts, sometimes in a day, and you will get your hands slapped over and over until finally there is the end of it.

Thinking more about my last post above about Wingy today while I was out mowing. I need to apologize for my lack of effort about him getting canned. I saw his post and should have PM'd him and asked him to delete it. I knew he had been drinking that day. He had mentioned in a different post he started with a beer at 9am. Went on to some mixed drink after that.
I knew what he posted would get him a vacation and didn't say a word. Now I feel terrible about him getting booted. Feel like I let him down

Thinking more about my last post above about Wingy today while I was out mowing. I need to apologize for my lack of effort about him getting canned. I saw his post and should have PM'd him and asked him to delete it. I knew he had been drinking that day. He had mentioned in a different post he started with a beer at 9am. Went on to some mixed drink after that.
I knew what he posted would get him a vacation and didn't say a word. Now I feel terrible about him getting booted. Feel like I let him down
Alcohol caught up with him, and this was probably not the first time it got him in trouble.

Feel like I let him down

Don't think it was a one time incident. I saw more than one. I commented to him on the inappropriateness in a followup post to one of the rants. He knew what he was doing, and seemed proud of it. I never reported him to the mods, that's not my place, and I've never reported anybody on any forum. But obviously the mods knew, because his posts disappeared. @Bacpacker - you didn't let him down, he let himself down. I agree with whatever action was taken to protect the forum. Unfortunate, but necessary.

Don't think it was a one time incident. I saw more than one. I commented to him on the inappropriateness in a followup post to one of the rants. He knew what he was doing, and seemed proud of it. I never reported him to the mods, that's not my place, and I've never reported anybody on any forum. But obviously the mods knew, because his posts disappeared. @Bacpacker - you didn't let him down, he let himself down. I agree with whatever action was taken to protect the forum. Unfortunate, but necessary.
Not saying I disagree with the mods for taking the action they did. It was inappropriate for this forum. And he had at least one vacation I know of for similar action.
But I still feel like I should have said something to him. Might not have made any difference.

And he had at least one vacation I know of for similar action.
For some people, it is a matter of time before they dig a hole for themselves that they can't get out of. I never knew about his vacation before now. His user name fit him. I wonder if the rules or guidelines have tightened since the last big one that most of us are aware of.

... would no longer a place that many would want to participate in.

I did run it through my mind if I wanted to continue here when I saw some of those rants, and the thumbs up they received from a few other members who are still here. Luckily, a very small group of members. But I decided to stay because those posts were taken down, and 99% of the members here are not like that.

I did run it through my mind if I wanted to continue here when I saw some of those rants, and the thumbs up they received from a few other members who are still here. Luckily, a very small group of members. But I decided to stay because those posts were taken down, and 99% of the members here are not like that.
It is true, that 99% of the members are not like that. If that were to be allowed, it could certainly spiral downward. There is another forum where people say crazy things to one another, and yet, it seems to have been and still is the largest and most active forum about Survivalists out there. I have posted there a few times and one member in particular likes to go after people when he disagrees with them. His actions have kept me away from it.

🙄🙄🙄🙄

For some people, it is a matter of time before they dig a hole for themselves that they can't get out of. I never knew about his vacation before now. His user name fit him. I wonder if the rules or guidelines have tightened since the last big one that most of us are aware of.
Some bully's just run rampant! And they know who they are!!😉

Latest posts

Back