Deer season

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nearby town of 35K people just decided to thin the deer in town by 250. The normal is no more that 500.
We live out of town and evening driving can be hazardous. When we lived in the woods we had one that would come up and bump the window wanting to be fed. I kept a salt block up the hill a ways to maintain the emergency food supply..
I have to be careful in my driveway!!

I think “hunting “ would be much more interesting if the animals were armed and shot back.
Perhaps pulled ambushes on the humans.
I’d bet big money the interest in hunting would drop dramatically.

9UhFQs4.png

Hubby got his buck this year. Every time he went out hunting I told him "don't shoot anything!" I don't have room in the freezer! He'd just grin and walk out the door. One day he announced he'd be late for dinner and I knew why. :rolleyes: We had friends help us butcher and pack it all up with the offer of half the meat for their help. They gladly took us up on the offer. I was not happy about processing it, but I sure as heck am not going to let venison go to waste. We cooked up some of it over the weekend......oh, so good!

I have NO space left in the freezer. NONE! I showed hubby the freezers and he knows we just barely fit our half in the freezers and they are a total mess b/c they are stuffed full. Oy! When it gets super cold I'm going to have to go through all of them and do some organizing b/c I had to play freezer tetris in order to get everything to fit in every nook and cranny space. I'm not looking forward to the organizing chore in front of me.:(

There's still some big bucks out there that were captured on trail cams. But those big boys are smart and are only venturing out in the dark. The rut is over, so they have their brains back and will likely be a target for next year.

Several decades ago, I remember reading about New Jersey's Dear Deer Problem. In many counties there was no open season - because there were few spaces safe enough for a New-Jersey-ite to shoot a gun. Lots of car/deer collisions in those extensive suburbs though. Dunno how/if that problem got fixed.

Several decades ago, I remember reading about New Jersey's Dear Deer Problem. In many counties there was no open season - because there were few spaces safe enough for a New-Jersey-ite to shoot a gun. Lots of car/deer collisions in those extensive suburbs though. Dunno how/if that problem got fixed.
I wondered if the chronic wasting disease has reduced the population any? Wyoming and Northern Colorado, western S.D., Nebraska and Kansas seem to have been hit hard, but so has Wisconsin and pockets in other places.

chronic wasting disease map.jpg

I'm in the Catskill Mountains (lots of dear hunting) The jersey guys used to come up here in droves and at least one jerseyite would be killed each year (they'd shoot sound shots) back in the day you couldn't use your house phone because they tied up all the lines , couldn't even get into a restaurant or bar (packed with jersey hunters) . They would strap their dear to their car take them back and parade them around for a couple days then take them to the dump . They own a bunch of hunting camps here. I had some of them in the store wearing fancy club jackets (decent guys ) I had to laugh at some of them . I asked them if the got any dear ,they said we don't hunt , we come up here to get away from our wives . some of them are good guys , had to do some installations for some of them and invited to there cook out (Greeks barely could speak English ) If you ever want to have a good time go to a Greek cookout . Bench full of rifles , goat hanging from a tree (there was a Greek chef there) and if you don't drink with them they get offended. I barely made it home (Sambuca).
After that they would bring me fresh flounder off the boats every year .

Latest posts

Back