Five Gallon buckets, What are they good for.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small hole or two in the bottom makes a nice slow waterer for plants and especially fruit / nut trees. Saves a lot of time watering to just take the hose and fill each bucket and let it drip out. Plus it soaks in the ground instead of running off.

I use them for all kinds of things. I've got a lid that makes a decent seat and has 3 divided compartments in it for screws or whatever. I use them as well for helping me up off my knees when planting or serious weeding. Store seed, feed, and fertilize in them, left over compost, the list really is endless.

I have about thirty five gallon bucks, that are food grade & green, with tops.
I found a lot of use for them, not all on the list & many that are not.
It a good list, but making beer is not something I have time for.

When my wife worked in a restaurant over the mountain from us, she would bring 5 gallon pickle buckets home, they worked great for hauling sand and gravel up to the cistern site to put in a storage bin for supply for mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow, it took a lot of trips due to the weight of the sand and gravel, there was just no way we could haul a full bucket but we got it done, thanks to 5 gallon buckets. I've used those same buckets to keep left over cement from turning into a solid piece, in the past I have lost many 94 pound sacks of cement even when stored in what I believed to be a good dry place.

When my wife worked in a restaurant over the mountain from us, she would bring 5 gallon pickle buckets home, they worked great for hauling sand and gravel up to the cistern site to put in a storage bin for supply for mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow, it took a lot of trips due to the weight of the sand and gravel, there was just no way we could haul a full bucket but we got it done, thanks to 5 gallon buckets. I've used those same buckets to keep left over cement from turning into a solid piece, in the past I have lost many 94 pound sacks of cement even when stored in what I believed to be a good dry place.
The Princess filled used pickle buckets with baking soda solution to reduce the smell.

Concrete has a shelf life if there is ANY humidity in the air.

The Princess uses Gamma seal lids for her buckets and fills them with preps before going on the shelf.

My brother uses them for task related tools so he can just grab and go when he is off on a new project.

I used one as a form to create a distillation coil.

I use obe while weeding to collect the weeds for the compost pile plus it helps me get up off the ground.

Ben

We use 5 gallon buckets for tool storage, fencing etc. I have one to measure out creep feed for calves. Mostly I use two when filling corn feeders. I can't stand on side of my truck and lift 50 pounds of corn over my head any more. Divide in thirds and lift each up. Much easier and safer for me. One feeder requires a ladder and many trips to fill. However I have not gotten hurt. Smarter now.

I always believed in hearing it from the horse's mouth... I take the same approach with food grade buckets, mylar etc...

Plastic - buckets, drums, lids, tools, cleaners... US Plastic Corporation – They make it and sell it directly to the public, any size, shape or purpose imaginable.

https://www.usplastic.com/default.aspx
Mylar, sealers, tools etc - Impak Corporation, They make mylar and the equipment to used it, any kind, size or shape. Their US subsidiary is Sorbent Systems and they sell to the public also.

https://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

Latest posts

Back