FOR THE LOVE OF HORSES.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister loved horses more than people.
We had 26 horses & ponies at one time, including a mixed Tennessee Walker & a mixed Morgan.
I have not been on a horse in thirty years.
It's been over ten years for me, and I'm carrying at least 25 extra pounds since then. Gonna need to be a sturdy horse if I'm gonna ride it

1619491081580.png

I know most folks like Clydesdales, but I kinda like Belgians.

It's been over ten years for me, and I'm carrying at least 25 extra pounds since then. Gonna need to be a sturdy horse if I'm gonna ride it

You will be fine, horses are strong , extra weight will help keep um settled down for you. :)
I am like you though believe they should be enough hands to fit you.👍 You know, you sound like you need a pleasure quarter horse, their calm horses if trained right to take to trails and such. :)

You will be fine, horses are strong , extra weight will help keep um settled down for you. :)
I am like you though believe they should be enough hands to fit you.👍 You know, you sound like you need a pleasure quarter horse, their calm horses if trained right to take to trails and such. :)
How about a retired ranch horse? They've seen and done everything, not much spooks them, and they can handle both trails and roads.

I know old farmers who used to go out to Wyoming and the Dakota's and buy 15 year old ranch horses. The ranches would replace them around that age, and the farmers would get horses that already knew cattle, were well broke, were still sound for light work and fun riding...

How about a retired ranch horse? They've seen and done everything, not much spooks them, and they can handle both trails and roads.

I know old farmers who used to go out to Wyoming and the Dakota's and buy 15 year old ranch horses. The ranches would replace them around that age, and the farmers would get horses that already knew cattle, were well broke, were still sound for light work and fun riding...

Yeah that could work for you. Main thing is to get to know the the horse for awhile first so you can see if it has any hidden flaws or bad ways, and if they bond with you, you will know there right for you . Some people Like the farmer who sells them that worked with the horse before could point you in the right direction to make the right decision. I knew a trainer here who worked with my last horse, and she knew horses really well, and was great teaching people and the horse together how to understand each other. When they left her after being trained together , they were as one when riding. Im sure she is probably passed now because she was up in age back then. 👍

We had an amazing Arabian, way-back in my teens... Didn't have the money at the time to own my own camera, so.... I drew 'im... :cool:

attachment.php

...and, heh - as-to 'When', well.. this is an iPhone snap - shot thru a 'loupe' - of a Slide - of the pencil / graphite drawing, so, yah.. 'That old'.. ;) Circa mid 80's..

He was a Beautiful animal.. RIP, Raj.. :cool:
jd

It's hard to figure them out at times for sure. When I rode Tobacco he knew all the leg cues, but I didn't so he was teaching me things I didn't know. Him being Tennessee Walker he was real high spirited, we had a ball. No bit, can be good when you have one gentle enough he or she lets you control them with no fuss.Some spirited ones need little more persuading to be controlled. Tobacco I rode lots a times with nothing just signals and he was great at it. Soon as I get off, and let Meerkat get on his back, he would act up, just to mess with her, he had a personality for sure like they all do. :)

Tobacco thought I was his playmate,he would lay down at night under the stars with mr and Rosie.He liked chewing on my shoulders,never did hurt me,When hubby broke his back and disabled we had o get rid of thm.I could do heir hoovrs and or take care of them and him too. We gave them away with understanding we could visit for awhile to make sure they were being cared for. we were finding a good home for hin and Rosie the two young women said he wouldn't chew on my should like that,I knew then they would not get our horse.he never threw me or tried to hurt me.He had been abused by his first owner and put him in the hospital.Don't beat on an animal and they won't stomp your ass.

Last edited:
We had an amazing Arabian, way-back in my teens... Didn't have the money at the time to own my own camera, so.... I drew 'im... :cool:

attachment.php

...and, heh - as-to 'When', well.. this is an iPhone snap - shot thru a 'loupe' - of a Slide - of the pencil / graphite drawing, so, yah.. 'That old'.. ;) Circa mid 80's..

jd

You are a very talented artist. So detailed.:great: .

attachment.php

jd

That's awesome Sojer, you have a talent for sure.👍

Speaking of draft horses...

This breed, and it's registry, was developed in my hometown by a gentleman named C.T. Rierson. It is the only existing draft horse breed that has been developed in the United States. There are only around 250 or so left, but there is a movement underway to save this breed.

The American Cream Draft Horse

Screenshot_20210427-164428.png

Call me boring, but for a riding horse, I like a solid bay. Not a fan of appys or paints or eccentric. That buckskin is a pretty thing isn't it.
Oh and Mr M - the rocker on the earlier post, I forgot to tell you why. I don't care for white or pink eyed horses. They are prone to cancer and moon blindness.
Geesh, I didn't know I was such a horse snob 😂 I think we all have our preferences which is what makes it fun.

Latest posts

Back