Frodo's art!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a saddle bag that will hang over the back rest of the seat? I am Turing to picture what you typed and am lost
yes. one with a weight that will hold it in place, or velcro, or something.

My uncle had a "beer bag" he hung from the steering column so he could just drop his brew in there if he got pulled or saw a cop. it was a handy little thing.

@ssonb

IMG_4990.jpeg
IMG_4991.jpeg

Amateur..... you should see Hunter Biden’s masterful works.
To keep it real
I have seen some saddle makers that make my work look like a first graders drawing on a refrigerator door
A friend gave me a piece of his work
I am in no way at this level
image.jpg

My uncle had a "beer bag" he hung from the steering column so he could just drop his brew in there if he got pulled or saw a cop. it was a handy little thing.
I had a ‘72 Pontiac Catalina that had a hole in the floor board with the floor mat over it
Just drop your beer down the hole with your foot and kick the mat back in place

Here’s what I am thinking
A saddle bag, like the kind on a horse
You can toss it over the seat and it will stay

You can also take it with you when you go and do your rat killing (business)
On this it would be cool to add a couple of hidden pockets. And a holster pocket on the back side.

Frodo your advice the other day on leather working has helped out.
The small framing square works great.
Cutting from the large shoulder using the large square gave me from the start one known straight side, big help there.
I discovered exactly what you ment when you cautioned about not piercing the thread!! MAN that can make a mess of the stitching. I was able to fix it twice and twice I had to cut and start over. I need to get my hand stitching process down to where I don't have to think about it. More practice.
Iffuns you have mo free advice I'll sendz a check by mail soze ittl get thar on time ta cuver da cost.

Try this trick
When you stick the needle through
Stop when it is about 1/4” visible on the opposite side and give the thread you suspect is pierced a slight tug. You can tell if it is pierced or not
To fix
Take your other needle, And pull the pierced thread up so you see the pierced location. Back the needle that pierced it out of the thread.

Lift the pierced thread up, expose the piercing
IMG_0265.jpeg
Pull the needle down out of the thread, then after it has cleared push it up
IMG_0266.jpeg
IMG_0267.jpeg
continue with your stitching

@ssonb
If you. Are constantly piercing thread then look at this

Pull the first thread to the opposite end of the hole while you insert the other needle
IMG_0271.jpeg

Look at the image, see where the thread pulled back is on top of the thread that is hanging straight down? Make sure it is like that on each stitch

If for instance the thread hanging down is over instead of under the pulled thread your stitch will look different

Tried it and once I got my hands trained it was an immediate improvement.
Stitched a complete credit card holder with RFID and fabric liner with no thread punctures and what pleased me most was the uniform look of the stitch.
It to me looks so good I might even by one for myself.😊

Cool, Now let’s work on even edges

Instead of cutting both pieces of this belt the exact dimension then sewing them together. I cut one the correct size and cut the other wild
After it is sewn, I cut the bottom to fit the top, using the top as my pattern
This way I will not have uneven bumps

image.jpg

I have a spike buck that visits my yard about twice a week, does that count?
Thanks feller but I have a couple wooden ones.
Speaking of makin your own tools what do you use for the metal on your leather stitching awl? The cheep one I have got has picked up a bent ! It probably got that from piercing the RFID materal, the pricking irons are having a dull time also.
I got to lookin at the diamond stitch closer and saw that it is different than what I do, I am actually doing a simple saddle stitch.

The metal I use for my awl is
Surgical stainless steel suture scissors
It is strong and holds an edge.
I used a sharpened three-corner keyhole file. :)

Latest posts

Back