Frodo's art!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havasus holster

image.jpg
Is

Frodo howdoya poke dem holes in that double thick leather?

I have a sewing machine for the stitching
And if you go to Amazon type in
Gasket punch set. You can buy a set of punches for around 10 bucks

Or, are you asking how do you hand sew double leather?

This is my method
Glue the 2 thick pieces together
Mark your stitch line the use your chisel to make holes in the top piece of leather
Then use your awl to finish off each hole

Tip. Constantly dip your awl in wax to make it easier

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I know you sent instruction on how to fit a gun into the holster, but since you are playing around with videos. . . Are you willing? I am more of a visual person.

Here ya go
Not a video but pictures
Place holster in a pan of water for approx 30 seconds, You want it to be soft and clay like
IMG_0464.jpeg

Remove from water, shake off excess
Place gun in a zip lock bag
Shove the gun into the holster
As far as you want it to go
IMG_0465.jpeg

Place the gun and holster into a vacuum bag and vacuum the air out
Using your thumb, smooth out and define lines as it is sucking the air out. , divot the trigger guard

If you do not have a vacuum sealer. Put the holster and gun on a shelf to dry for 24 hours then check if dry ,
If dry, you are good to go. If not, put it back check later
IMG_0466.jpeg

Set the vacuum sealed bag on a shelf till dry
IMG_0465.jpeg

Last edited:
Up to you
Another school of thought by some is to not let the holster dry under vacuum
But Vacuum let sit for 30 minutes then remove
That is what I did here
image.jpg

Trigger guard, Place your thumb in the trigger guard and press
Causing a substantial divot in the trigger guard
This will give your gun mucho good retention, so much so, you can remove the strap
This is just my opinion others may have differing thoughts
image.jpg

Dana, is that enough information?
It is pretty straight forward
Gun in zip lock bag
Holster in watet
Shove, with prejudice and purpose
The gun into the leather
Remember, you are stretching the leather so you can have a tight fit
Either place in a vacuum seal bag
Or smooth out with fingers
Divot trigger guard

Let dry

I use the food saver vac seal method fer forming the heads on my flapjacks/blackjacks.
Double saddle stitching around 8oz leather is work! Fun work but its a job but sumone hasta do this stuff!
Frodo ...I have been experimenting with making armor leather to stiffen the components on the attitude adjusters so you do not have to use a flat spring to reinforce the handle. The baking method works very good on the thicker pieces but not so much for thinner 4or5oz pieces. Women seem to like the flapjacks made with thinner leather with a floppier softer feel???
I know but it kinda defeats the total purpose of the item but I think men just don't understand the women's view of "If I'm going to beat the crap out of you I might as well do it politely."

Last edited:
Try this method and see if it works for you
Cut a strip 24” long x 3” wide. You may want it 2”. This is a preference issue
Fold in half
Cut the corners as shown in image
image.jpg

Sew up the sides 7”
Then, dip the 7” in a pot of water
Stuff the opening with your lead or what ever. Up to 6”. Pound that stuff in and stretch form that pocket
Sew the pouch closed
Ok. I sew mine halfway closed before I pack and leave an opening just big enough for a funnel and my packing dowel rod

from the pouch up trim the sides to a comfortable handle width and sew

Frodo buddy....when you say "place the leather in water for 30 seconds"... does it matter if the water is cool, warm, or hot? Any benefit on hot versus cold water?

If the holster is dyed black, are there any precautions you need to take differently than oil rubbed leather?

But its not bullet proof!!! I was disappointed.
Nope. it is however slash-proof and stab-resistant. I say resistant because certain designs will go right through Kevlar, such as a tanto.

Frodo buddy....when you say "place the leather in water for 30 seconds"... does it matter if the water is cool, warm, or hot? Any benefit on hot versus cold water?

If the holster is dyed black, are there any precautions you need to take differently than oil rubbed leather?
A small amount of dye will bleed into the water . on the hot vs cold that is an ongoing debate among leather workers
Some yes some no

I have used hot tap water and room temp water and sofar I have seen little difference.
I am trying to get to rewetmolding a store bought leather holster that almost fits one of my pistols perfect but just a little loose. The pistol slipped out the other day and I don't precheate dat one bit.

Latest posts

Back