Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I missed a lot
Apparently so did some of the people who were here during all that...

For anyone who didn't know...TalkFirearms was a sister site to this one. It started out like a house afire. Certain members here like @phideaux and @Double R and I believe @havasu also, were mods both here and there. A certain group of members there wanted TF to be a completely uncensored, no rules kind of place. After a while several mods left and a bunch of the members, including myself, migrated over here. TF kind of dwindled down, and whoever makes the decisions decided to fold it into HCL. Most of the TF group didn't like the rules concerning behavior here, and they took their ball and went home. I'm not sure if any of that group are still here. Some of the TF threads and subs that were merged into HCL were shut down due to disuse.

That's the story, in a nutshell, as best as I know it. If any of it is wrong, I apologise, and the staff can set it straight.

While I’m not surprised I didn’t realize the extent. I can absolutely see how the members were not happy here with the rules. Wonder what happened to them all.
Sad how the years have gone down with the forums.
Even here I had hoped by now (when I checked back in) that it would be really busy.
Good evening @Double R

I think we're fairly busy here. Our daily post count has to be fairly healthy.

Yeah me too, but there were a few schoolyard bullies in that crowd too.

I’m one of the rollovers from TalkFirearms. I really liked it a lot. It was the only forum I was on anymore. Honesty, I kinda followed threetango here.
TF could definitely get “off color” at times, but I never thought of it as “in the gutter”. As for the schoolyard bullies, I guess I missed that. Can’t say that I remember seeing much, if any at all.
I don’t make it here much because most of the topics here really aren’t my thing. Since TF went down I’ve migrated back to mostly firearms and tactical stuff.
That said, there’s plenty of great folks here for sure!

I’m one of the rollovers from TalkFirearms. I really liked it a lot. It was the only forum I was on anymore. Honesty, I kinda followed threetango here.
TF could definitely get “off color” at times, but I never thought of it as “in the gutter”. As for the schoolyard bullies, I guess I missed that. Can’t say that I remember seeing much, if any at all.
I don’t make it here much because most of the topics here really aren’t my thing. Since TF went down I’ve migrated back to mostly firearms and tactical stuff.
That said, there’s plenty of great folks here for sure!
One of the things that I am grateful for here is the complete lack of tolerance for bullying. We used to see it at PS, and then people would get more and more bold until they were banned, excommunicated.

Apparently so did some of the people who were here during all that...

For anyone who didn't know...TalkFirearms was a sister site to this one. It started out like a house afire. Certain members here like @phideaux and @Double R and I believe @havasu also, were mods both here and there. A certain group of members there wanted TF to be a completely uncensored, no rules kind of place. After a while several mods left and a bunch of the members, including myself, migrated over here. TF kind of dwindled down, and whoever makes the decisions decided to fold it into HCL. Most of the TF group didn't like the rules concerning behavior here, and they took their ball and went home. I'm not sure if any of that group are still here. Some of the TF threads and subs that were merged into HCL were shut down due to disuse.

That's the story, in a nutshell, as best as I know it. If any of it is wrong, I apologise, and the staff can set it straight.
I m surprised that PS is still in existence. I am banned, but look there here and there and it is a ghost town.

I don't remember anything bad about TF. I was not terribly active there, mostly lurking in the chit-chatty type subforums ... jokes, off-topic, etc. My personality didn't seem to "fit" there perfectly, which is why I was more of a lurker, but I consider that a defect in myself, not the forum. I feel more comfortable here, but I can't put my finger on why. I think maybe overall - people are more open, friendly, and accepting here. There are certainly differences of opinion here, but these just seem to be treated as a normal thing that we can discuss. Nobody really seems bothered by someone of a different opinion. Differences don't seem to provoke sniping and fighting here, as they do in so many other forums. Is is just that we're all so friggin' old that we've forgotten how to be offended? :) I wonder what the average age is here. I'm 63.

I think most of the “issues” were on the private side.
This.

There were a couple members, in particular, who would start in on a person, and then the pack would follow. I don't recall it happening to more than one or two posters, but it got a bit ugly. Then the offenders would say things to the effect of, F--- 'em if they can't handle it...

It probably wasn't that bad, in hindsight. But it turned into a place that I didn't really want to be. I like it here much better. Even though I can't say bad words and make dirty jokes...:D:devil::brewing:

Noisy here tonight. The grtnephew brought 40 head of cattle up here this morning. The cows with calves he put in the bull pen, 2.5 acre holding pen (26). The 30 or so already here are upset as well...

At this point I wish they'd all lay down for a nap. It's quiet of a while then one of them bawls... then the rest have to add their 2 cents!

The dog is running around unsure who to bark at! :confused:

Last edited:
Noisy here tonight. The grtnephew brought 40 head of cattle up here this morning. The cows with calves he put in the bull pen, 2.5 acre holding pen (26). The 30 or so already here are upset as well...

At this point I wish they'd all lay down for a nap. It's quiet of a while then one of the bawls... then the rest have to add their 2 cents!

Hope they settle down soon! Gotta love the cow choirs!

While I’m not surprised I didn’t realize the extent. I can absolutely see how the members were not happy here with the rules. Wonder what happened to them all.
Sad how the years have gone down with the forums.
Even here I had hoped by now (when I checked back in) that it would be really busy.
Hey, Erica -

I just remembered that that group from the Glock forum had their own Facebook page. I don't remember what it was called, and I think it was a closed group. I think that was their new hangout when they left here...

I've heard that said about people too...
My wife enjoyed he spanking and I was unavoidably distracted thereafter.
I feel good but my back is hurting a bit more than normal.. It's OK because of the reason it hurts.
I just thought I should check in before saying, have a good night all.

I've heard that said about people too...
My wife enjoyed he spanking and I was unavoidably distracted thereafter.
I feel good but my back is hurting a bit more than normal.. It's OK because of the reason it hurts.
I just thought I should check in before saying, have a good night all.
We need a "cover my face and shake my head" emoji...

:p

Hey, Erica -

I just remembered that that group from the Glock forum had their own Facebook page. I don't remember what it was called, and I think it was a closed group. I think that was their new hangout when they left here...

I was never invited to that group but I do remember hearing about it when some of the members started in on a fellow member. I’m sure you’re right

I'm sitting here trying to get warm.
The house is 73
I'm in heavy sweat pants, heavy socks and shoes, long sleeve shirt and a sweater
I've been cold going on a week now.
Not sick or trying to fight anything off
Haven't been sick since back in late 2019
Circulation is fine. everything pink and healthy
Have no idea why I can't get warm.
Warm drinks not helping
Warm shower didn't help
Its damn annoying I tell ya

I'm leaning towards it being that my thermostat has now moved to the cold setting now that the menopause is past and was stuck on hot forever( years!!) it seems
You're not the only one.
House is 72*
I'm wrapped in fleece blanket, sweater,socks, shoess, heavier pants, short sleeve shirt then long sleeve denim heavier shirt.
Since surgery can't get warm, before surgery always hot.
I'm not running a fever.
Had hot shower,hot coffee, hot tea with honey.
Still cold.

I started to post this in the coronavirus thread and realized I was hijacking it so I brought it here. Hope that's OK.
Medicare payments allow an efficiently managed hospital to profit by them. Some hospitals are not competently managed - including the local one, which has entered bankruptcy and may close. Management claimed the problem is slow payment by private insurers; the state investigator says that the problem was exacerbated by poor management.
This sounds just like what the local news is reporting. Except they don't mention the poor management. The small 24-bed hospital I worked at bought the 250-bed hospital 45 miles away that is closing, $40 million dollars for a hospital that had been losing money for years. 463 people instantly unemployed. Prior to that, they bought land in town to build a new $90 million hospital and medical center. This is in a town with 16,000 people and most of them are low income and or illegals that don't pay. New clinics opened up all over the place and losing money. The CEO had a new Urgent Care facility opened with a full-blown imaging center.
CT, MRI, US, X-Ray, Mammo. In the first 4 months they were opened they did exactly ZERO MRI scans but it was staffed 18 hours a day.
Everyone suspects the CEO is paid a bonus for every new specialty center he opened.

At this point I wish they'd all lay down for a nap. It's quiet of a while then one of them bawls... then the rest have to add their 2 cents!

Poor doggie, hopethey settle down soon.

Latest posts

Back