Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! :green man: How are you and the Mrs?

Ha I went to bed ...

We are doing ok.
I stopped saying we are good.
Just ok..too many things ache and hurt and make funny noises when we stand up or sit down.

But,

Overall..were doing ok.
We do everything we want to , just takes longer.

Waiting for some decent weather.
In West KY , February is our crazy weather month...
Never know what's gonna happen ..ice, sleet, snow, rain, tornado..

Then comes the wet month of March, but warmer.

How's everybody in your household?

Jim

Last edited:
Ha I went to bed ...

We are doing ok.
I stopped saying we are good.
Just ok..too many things ache and hurt and make funny noises when we stand up or sit down.

But,

Overall..were doing ok.
We do everything we want to , just takes longer.

Waiting for some decent weather.
In West KY , February is our crazy weather month...
Never know what's gonna happen ..ice, sleet, snow, rain, tornado..

Then comes the wet month of March, but warmer.

How's everybody in your household?

Jim

I hear you unfortunately. We’re ok too.
It’s been a mild nice winter so far for us. Hope it continues. Hopefully you guys don’t get hammered to hard. Makes life miserable.
Good evening everyone

Still coughin my head off like I have for the past 6 weeks. YUK! But otherwise gettin by. How bout you?
You still haven't found anything that worked for that wicked cough, huh, @Bacpacker ???
What am i doing tonight? Wishing I wasn't tired once i get home from work and church stuff so I could get this place cleaned up.
Ya know how it is when you start deep cleaning, which I started on recently. And I can't just start in one place and finish that one place. Nooooo. I've got to start in the garage, and the living room, and my bedroom. So many changes in the past 9 months or so and I'm ready to be break it down, up, out, in, something.
New me. I'm too young to be the old me.
:ghostly: :lil guy::LOL:

Ha, Patchouli. Feeling kind of all over the place myself. Having to clean everything out before moving this summer. Haven't gone through some stuff for 20 yrs. Start in one area and get distracted. Not wanting to add to food preps since it has to be moved. That doesn't feel normal to me.

Amish, when a single event can change it all...
Preparing to move is so hard. I started trying to think in minimalism terms. At least that helps me look at things more logically. Proud of myself for letting go of stuff. I detest doing yard sales, etc and realize that nobody wants old stuff.
Some things I could sell, but cringe to think of getting rid of things through c*****list, f*** book marketplace, etc.

I hope your kids help out.

Me too. I usually just take it to the thrift store.
Hah! I have done two yard sales now, and will do no more. I have found that stuff can set in my yard approximately forever with a minimal price tag, but when I move it out to the street and put a 'free' sign on it, it goes away within a day. Phooey. I wonder what the modern version of the village midden is.

You still haven't found anything that worked for that wicked cough, huh, @Bacpacker ???
What am i doing tonight? Wishing I wasn't tired once i get home from work and church stuff so I could get this place cleaned up.
Ya know how it is when you start deep cleaning, which I started on recently. And I can't just start in one place and finish that one place. Nooooo. I've got to start in the garage, and the living room, and my bedroom. So many changes in the past 9 months or so and I'm ready to be break it down, up, out, in, something.
New me. I'm too young to be the old me.
:ghostly: :lil guy::LOL:

Nope haven't shakin it yet. Dr perscribed a nebulyzer for home use 3 times a day for next 2 weeks to see what that does. Now waiting on pharmacy to call and let me know the med is in for it. Working on getting a appointment with pulmanary Dr if it don't clear up.

Hah! I have done two yard sales now, and will do no more. I have found that stuff can set in my yard approximately forever with a minimal price tag, but when I move it out to the street and put a 'free' sign on it, it goes away within a day. Phooey. I wonder what the modern version of the village midden is.

VT: You are soooo right!! I can't even begin to remember how many times I have lugged all the trash from the basement. Set it up. Put price tags on it, and carried it all back down. Wife decides she wants to have a garage sale; " I can sell this and make money." My reply; " I will give you the $12.00 you are going to make for two days of work. " Never again.

This is a true story I swear. We used to have a town pick up twice a year. You could leave anything out by the curb, and the city would pick it up: No charge. When I first moved here I knew about the pick up but had no experience. One of the neighbors asked " Did anybody leave you their junk? " I thought what are you talking about? He said " Oh yeah. they will come through with pick up trucks, and if your junk is better than their junk they will take stuff off of the truck, and leave it in your yard, and take your stuff. Sure enough I looked out the next day, and I thought " I didn't put that there." Somebody had swapped.

Leave it by the curb with a "FREE" sign, and it will be gone in a heartbeat.

I have had a few garage sales. So much work for so little! I now keep a box just for stuff that needs to go. When the box is full, it goes to the thrift shop. Sometimes I find a bunch of stuff and load my car. That is mostly books that I have had for selling or from teaching.

Moving is one of the best reasons to purge and clean out and I am coming up on 30 years in my house. What does that tell you?

The hardest thing for me is the paperwork. I can go through papers and fill my shredder and have more to go.

Trying to do deep cleaning is good.

I have had a few garage sales. So much work for so little! I now keep a box just for stuff that needs to go. When the box is full, it goes to the thrift shop. Sometimes I find a bunch of stuff and load my car. That is mostly books that I have had for selling or from teaching.

Moving is one of the best reasons to purge and clean out and I am coming up on 30 years in my house. What does that tell you?

The hardest thing for me is the paperwork. I can go through papers and fill my shredder and have more to go.

Trying to do deep cleaning is good.
I agree 100% with everything you just said. :) We've have had a couple yard sales, have probably made about $3000. We moved after 18 yrs., can't imagine 30. I'm still going through some things. And, papers is/was the worst. It's now far better, but the time it took to sit and go through misc. papers to find the missing car title with receipts and obscure owners manuals and who knows what else. We're to the point now that I just donate odd items. There are some things that I will list on CL, but if they don't sell quickly, I just pull the add and donate. I will say, stopping the flow is difficult but necessary. When family offers the whatever that has been in the family for however long and I decline, it can be a little bit of a challenge.

I agree 100% with everything you just said. :) We've have had a couple yard sales, have probably made about $3000. We moved after 18 yrs., can't imagine 30. I'm still going through some things. And, papers is/was the worst. It's now far better, but the time it took to sit and go through misc. papers to find the missing car title with receipts and obscure owners manuals and who knows what else. We're to the point now that I just donate odd items. There are some things that I will list on CL, but if they don't sell quickly, I just pull the add and donate. I will say, stopping the flow is difficult but necessary. When family offers the whatever that has been in the family for however long and I decline, it can be a little bit of a challenge.

I know the sentimental value you place on things that have been in the family a long time. It brings back fond memories, and you think ' surely someone will want this'. Not so. We have been through this when my wife's parents died and when my own parents died. The things we thought might have value were really just junk. Nobody wanted anything. I think my parents kept everything I ever gave them from grade school on. I got them all back. Of course, I saved them. I don't know why, but I did. Still have them. Go figure.

I don't want my mom's junk, even tho it's worth something. She places a higher value on her stuff than she does with human relationships, so I don't want her stuff. I don't like garage sales, either. Just get rid of it! I do ask around, my cousins or our kids to see if anyone needs something in particular. It is time to clean out. I would hate to die and leave our kids to clean out our junk. That would be terrible.

I suspect when mom goes, all her junk will go in one of our outbuildings at the farm till my sisters come and decide what they want. Our last Kansas visit, my Uncle Melvin had me choose something out of his china cabinet. I felt awkward about it, but he insisted. He is a few years shy of 100, and he's my favorite uncle. I chose a cup, saucer, and plate with bluebirds on them. Beautiful. Said I had good taste, that it was my grandmas. Had no idea. Then, to find out, my favorite cousin said her mom had a set like it. I think it was pieced out after grandma died. It was my cousin's favorite, too.

I suspect when mom goes, all her junk will go in one of our outbuildings at the farm till my sisters come and decide what they want. Our last Kansas visit, my Uncle Melvin had me choose something out of his china cabinet. I felt awkward about it, but he insisted. He is a few years shy of 100, and he's my favorite uncle. I chose a cup, saucer, and plate with bluebirds on them. Beautiful. Said I had good taste, that it was my grandmas. Had no idea. Then, to find out, my favorite cousin said her mom had a set like it. I think it was pieced out after grandma died. It was my cousin's favorite, too.
A dear friend of mine did that to me. Of all the beautiful things in their home, there was a little old picture I was very fond of. When I told her I liked it, she looked up to the right (like the child in the picture.) I looked the direction she was looking and she did it again. I asked her what she was doing. The picture was her baby picture when she was 2ish. I told her she hadn't changed a bit. :) We had a good chuckle. I told her I didn't want it for a very long time. That little picture is now very dear to me. You (especially you) will appreciate that cup and saucer even without the rest of the set more than many more "valuable" things. You should ask if he would be willing to add something to it and ask if he can write down a memory involving it:)

I don't want my mom's junk, even tho it's worth something. She places a higher value on her stuff than she does with human relationships, so I don't want her stuff. I don't like garage sales, either. Just get rid of it! I do ask around, my cousins or our kids to see if anyone needs something in particular. It is time to clean out. I would hate to die and leave our kids to clean out our junk. That would be terrible.
This happens to many people, and sometimes it is so overwhelming that people get stuck and can't do any of it.

My cousin was telling me that his dad has a garage full of stuff that is junk. He wanted to give cousin a box of old file folders. I told cousin, if he takes it box by box as dad offers it, he can take it home and recycle it, or he can wait until his parents are gone and do it all at once. He hadn't thought of that.

We are in an era where we have more junk than people have had in history.

I believe that! Glad mom only has a one bedroom apartment. It's incredibly full, but still looks ok. If she got the two bedroom, it'd be full. I've been watching my favorite cousin and what she's done. She is 70, and downsized a ton when she moved to the little house (Dody house) and daughter and family moved into the big house. The last few years, she's been going through things even more, giving away special things to grandkids and great grands. My mom does have some nice stuff, but with her it's all about her stuff, so I really don't want any of it. Does make it difficult that she has been an avid doll collector, and has a ton of dolls stashed everywhere. They were extremely expensive, but give me the creeps. She never liked children, just dolls. I'll let my sisters deal with those. We already have about a 10ft square pile of antique doll furniture stuffed in one of our outbuildings. I never want to leave our kids with a bunch of junk to deal with. Although, they would thank us for the prepper stuff.
That's a good idea telling your cousin that. I kind of did something similar last trip to the farm. Mom insisted I take a quilt her mom sewed by hand. It would of been done in 1920 or so. So, I brought it back to our place, knowing full well it was ordered from JC Penneys, probably about 20 yrs ago, and it was machine stitched with that awful nylon type thread (that was coming loose). I'll take it to the thrift store once she forgets about it. My Uncle Melvin has my great great grandma's handmade quilt from the 1800's. It was made in the old Amish (acceptable) colors of the time, in dark browns, blues, and some black.

I believe that! Glad mom only has a one bedroom apartment. It's incredibly full, but still looks ok. If she got the two bedroom, it'd be full. I've been watching my favorite cousin and what she's done. She is 70, and downsized a ton when she moved to the little house (Dody house) and daughter and family moved into the big house. The last few years, she's been going through things even more, giving away special things to grandkids and great grands. My mom does have some nice stuff, but with her it's all about her stuff, so I really don't want any of it. Does make it difficult that she has been an avid doll collector, and has a ton of dolls stashed everywhere. They were extremely expensive, but give me the creeps. She never liked children, just dolls. I'll let my sisters deal with those. We already have about a 10ft square pile of antique doll furniture stuffed in one of our outbuildings. I never want to leave our kids with a bunch of junk to deal with. Although, they would thank us for the prepper stuff.
That's a good idea telling your cousin that. I kind of did something similar last trip to the farm. Mom insisted I take a quilt her mom sewed by hand. It would of been done in 1920 or so. So, I brought it back to our place, knowing full well it was ordered from JC Penneys, probably about 20 yrs ago, and it was machine stitched with that awful nylon type thread (that was coming loose). I'll take it to the thrift store once she forgets about it. My Uncle Melvin has my great great grandma's handmade quilt from the 1800's. It was made in the old Amish (acceptable) colors of the time, in dark browns, blues, and some black.
Oh I bet it's a beautiful quilt. The dyes used were natural dyes and looked like they belonged to the fabric. Synthetic dyes today look like they are trying to obliterate the fabric (my opinion.) Workmanship back then was also valued.

My wife is a keeper too. Two spare bedrooms full. Spare bath full. Her side of the garage is stack, she can barely get her car in.

She wants me to finish the family room in the basement. Told I would when she has her stuff moved out of it, going on 20 years and the stuff is growing.

Most of the stuff she said is going to be sold in garage sales. If that is true then why are the piles growing faster than what (if any) she sells?

When I ask her if it is fair to our kids to have to deal with it, I get the deer in the highlights response from her.

It is what it is. :(

My wife is a keeper too. Two spare bedrooms full. Spare bath full. Her side of the garage is stack, she can barely get her car in.

She wants me to finish the family room in the basement. Told I would when she has her stuff moved out of it, going on 20 years and the stuff is growing.

Most of the stuff she said is going to be sold in garage sales. If that is true then why are the piles growing faster than what (if any) she sells?

When I ask her if it is fair to our kids to have to deal with it, I get the deer in the highlights response from her.

It is what it is. :(

Lazy L: That sounds eerily familiar. I haven't parked my car in the garage for years. Her car is in there. If I touch any of her stuff she will go Postal, but she nags about the one shoe box I want to keep. It is well known with my kids. If my wife goes first you will be O.K. If I go first you got a BIG problem.

I really wish I could figure out how to make my phone play all my music randomly or in order. It only plays one song at a time then I have to pick another song. That's ok... it took me an hour to get the music on half the screen and the forum on the other half.

Peanut, you can download either Pandora or I heart radio as an App on your phone. I have both and they are decent for what you are wanting. On Pandora I have set up a bunch of favorites and just pick one when I want to listen. It then plays songs by that artist along with other groups from that same time period or type of music. I've had it going in the back ground at work for hours and never had it end, so I don't know if there is a time out on it or not. It's easy to change between favorites. The only down side I've found, I have the free versions and they do thrown in commercials some. They have a subscription that supposedly gets rid of the commercials.

Latest posts

Back