Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Bethel for 25 years and moved 6 or 7 years ago. I've never heard of the runway lights going out. Every winter each of the villages, about 48, serviced from Bethel, is isolated due to bad weather for about a week at a time. Each village has a store and most people subsistence hunt and fish. There is a lot of dried fish, seal meat, and other wild game preserved in traditional ways. Right now most things are frozen but not wrapped just hanging in a shed. They may run short on somethings but the village store buys a years worth of ammo, guns, canned goods, etc. all of which comes on the annual barge. They'll be out of fresh produce but that isn't a big part of their existence.

People won't starve but they may miss doctors appointments and they may not be able to get home. I expect medivac flights will still fly. I've been on many a flight where the airstrip was lit by snowmobiles or flare pots.

That is much what I expected. When disasters, be they man-made or natural happen often, prepping becomes a way of life. You KNOW something is going to happen and your weather can be much more unpredictable and severe in both intensity and length. You have to be prepared or you will not survive. Hope you are all O.K.

Double R, I'm sorry you're not feeling so great and sorry you think you might have it. I'll vote for it being cedar pollen! Hope you can get some relief.
A co-worker spent Christmas and day after for hours with family members who have now tested positive. Co-worker's test today was negative. I think giving it a few days might work then test again. In the meantime, even though all were vaxed, my co-workers most of the time still wear masks everywhere.

Thanks. I hope so but with my joyous health issues….. time will tell I guess.
I know what you mean. I'm high risk myself. Positive outlook, good clean food, lots of vitamins, and get help if you need it. That's about all I can offer you. It's what I would do. Maybe not the best advice, but I'm sure it's not bad advice.

I'm seriously considering going to sleep! Glad to have off a few days. New Year's resolution should include going to bed earlier and trying to get 7 hours a sleep a night. I keep taking Vitamin D regularly and whatever else I remember to take, drinking herb teas, multi vitamins. @Spikedriver preach it. lol It's great advice.

I know what you mean. I'm high risk myself. Positive outlook, good clean food, lots of vitamins, and get help if you need it. That's about all I can offer you. It's what I would do. Maybe not the best advice, but I'm sure it's not bad advice.
I’m trying to have a positive outlook. Take everything possible and are continuing too. Adding a few things recommended tonight. Hubby’s got a list for the morning. It’s the best advice possible. So hard to know what to trust anymore. At least it’s the “mildest” one clearly from the symptoms. That’s a blessing. But the timing is very bad with my MIL’s cancer stuff. I’ve only told my friends here so far. I’m hibernating at the moment. Till I’m sure. Don’t go out much and haven’t seen anyone in a while. At least I won’t have guilt of spreading it. I’m praying so hard my husband doesn’t get it. He’s very healthy so I’m hopeful that will help. Wish he didn’t have to take care of me even more right now. 😔

I'm seriously considering going to sleep! Glad to have off a few days. New Year's resolution should include going to bed earlier and trying to get 7 hours a sleep a night. I keep taking Vitamin D regularly and whatever else I remember to take, drinking herb teas, multi vitamins. @Spikedriver preach it. lol It's great advice.
I've been taking around 560% of the daily recommended dose of D3 a day since the pandemic got into full swing, plus around 625% of the daily recommended dose of C. Don't know if it's helping or not but I'm not dead yet so I'm gonna keep doing it...😉

I’m trying to have a positive outlook. Take everything possible and are continuing too. Adding a few things recommended tonight. Hubby’s got a list for the morning. It’s the best advice possible. So hard to know what to trust anymore. At least it’s the “mildest” one clearly from the symptoms. That’s a blessing. But the timing is very bad with my MIL’s cancer stuff. I’ve only told my friends here so far. I’m hibernating at the moment. Till I’m sure. Don’t go out much and haven’t seen anyone in a while. At least I won’t have guilt of spreading it. I’m praying so hard my husband doesn’t get it. He’s very healthy so I’m hopeful that will help. Wish he didn’t have to take care of me even more right now. 😔
Keep on hibernating an let hubby do his thing. You're married - that's what he's there for!

I've been taking around 560% of the daily recommended dose of D3 a day since the pandemic got into full swing, plus around 625% of the daily recommended dose of C. Don't know if it's helping or not but I'm not dead yet so I'm gonna keep doing it...😉
I’m sure it is helping. I’ve been taking more than that since the start. Generally every flu season pre Covid. I did just recently change my vitamins though.

Your right and he never complains but I still feel bad. It’s his Friday so I’ll have him here the next two nights at least. If it gets bad at least he’s home.
I don't know what the current medical advice is for Covid, but I would keep moving if possible. Gotta keep the blood pumping and keep the lungs working. Seeing you up and moving probably is good for your husband's state of mind too...

I don't know what the current medical advice is for Covid, but I would keep moving if possible. Gotta keep the blood pumping and keep the lungs working. Seeing you up and moving probably is good for your husband's state of mind too...
Good advice. I went out twice today for very short amount of time. Not sure if it helped or not. Hard to catch my breath at the moment. Keeping good records of temp, heart rate etc so we should know what changes are occurring. Listening to my lungs as well to be sure what’s going on. So far clear

gaah I'm gonna go nuts thinking about Covid. Lol. I have a family gathering - in a nursing home - and then I have to get on a damn airplane, fly to O'Hare, deplane and board another to Phoenix, then work with 50 other dirty railroaders who come from all over the country, and reverse the process coming home. Except the return flight connects at Denver instead of O'Hare. No high risk activity in that sequence of events, is there?🙄

Good advice. I went out twice today for very short amount of time. Not sure if it helped or not. Hard to catch my breath at the moment. Keeping good records of temp, heart rate etc so we should know what changes are occurring. Listening to my lungs as well to be sure what’s going on. So far clear
That's what I like to hear. You're proactive.:thumbs:

Oh lord have mercy. I’ll be praying for you! I know when I was exposed. When I went to the PO to send Christmas packages (very tiny PO) someone came in and apparently it’s someone I went to school with. Didn’t respect personal space at all. Went into a rant about her life since middle school while I was backed into the corner. Then she said she’s currently taking care of her kids with Covid. “It was no big deal” I just knew I was in trouble. I took all precautions I could but some things just are. I’ve been taking extra stuff and trying to be careful (hence not seeing anyone) and here we are. I’m sure that’s what happened.

Back