Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was limb up fell oak trees in grade school & never had any heat other than wood stove & kitchen stove until I was
fourteen years old. We fulled the stove once & went to bed, in a top feed wood stove. Sometime the log would have a knot on it, so we would turn the knot up so the log would drop in the stove. We started one fire in winter & kelp it burning all winter. Everyone in the house knew how to cook, wash dishes, feed stock & build a fire.

How many times do you add wood before morning? Twice if done correctly? 3 times if done like a woman. 4 is a slow headed woman? Just a guess?
What kind of women do you guys have out there!???! Here in South Carolina our women can do anything a man can & raise a house full of children.

Hi sweet @Double R ! I'm good. As always, staying up too late. Worked today. Not doing much of anything. Reading through here. Wouldn't it be something to find a farm sitter? They exist, just wonder how reliable they are. They have to be cleared, but who knows what that really covers. I hope you figure something out and are able to get away for good.

At least your keepin outta trouble 🙃😉
No farm sitters to be trusted anymore. Usually my mother in law takes care of the animals when we’re gone hunting but she’s out of commission for probably the next 6-8 months At the least. No one else is trustworthy anymore. We will figure something out somehow. Just going to be interesting. One way or another we will see freedom and happiness 😉

At least your keepin outta trouble 🙃😉
No farm sitters to be trusted anymore. Usually my mother in law takes care of the animals when we’re gone hunting but she’s out of commission for probably the next 6-8 months At the least. No one else is trustworthy anymore. We will figure something out somehow. Just going to be interesting. One way or another we will see freedom and happiness 😉
Just throwing an idea out there in case you get in a real pinch: Might contact the county extension agent. He/She might be able to refer a 4Her who is responsible. You would still want a plan B but at least it one more person on the list.

Hiya RR -

Doin ok, just tired, as we just finished this weekend, the last of the 'turning out' the Whole of our 'LTS' over the past couple, for rotation / re-dating / packing-in 'new' stuff, but.. It's the 'Good kind of tired' (Progress... :cool: Tightening-up some 'plans', as well, for trying to get Out of this powder-keg, asaP..

How 'bout ya'll? ("ya'll" is such a great portmanteau, isn't it? ;) How are things lookin on yer 'New Frontier-front'? :cool:

jd

Yes I love it! My grandparents always said it and it stuck for me. They were from the south so picked up a lot of southern charm living with them. 😉
Things are ok I guess. We’re broadening our area just a bit. Still haven’t found anything we like that’s reasonably priced or has what we want. We have some strict requirements that we won’t give up. Like house can’t be by a road. What sounds silly is very important to us.
That sounds like a lot of work! What’s your outlook looking like at the moment?

...Things are ok I guess. ...We have some strict requirements that we won’t give up. Like house can’t be by a road.

Oh, that's not 'silly' at All! Heck - if we 'had the Bux' - we'd be Hard-looking at 'Sourdough's place up in Alaska.. Now That's some 'insulation from the Zommie hordes', right there.. :cool: And, though I might not "like it", I did do '25 yrs hard-time' in somewhat-similar climate-training (Upstate NY..) so.. No 'stranger to Months of sparse-Sun & Brutal cold / snow', etc, but.. Alas, we've not Got 'Alaska caliber resources', so.. Likely, AZ-ish, it is..

..What’s your outlook looking like at the moment?

We've some Solid 'Plans B & C' set in AZ (One Southern, and one Eastern AZ..) and I don't Want to 'give up' on our NorCal BOL - there's just So Much 'Good' (strategically / resources-wise, etc) about it, but.. We're just Too 'light in the load' ('Fighting-force' size) to make a 'safe and sane' go of it, given the current Times / situs quickly devolving, so.. Dunno what will "win", but..

..Hope to, at Least, be Out of 'suburbia', ASAP, even if it's somewhere 'temporary' / transitional.. Just still kind of in 'low-key mourning' at what's happened to our Once Great State, ya know?.. SO many amazing aspects to CA (ag / nature / resources-wise) but.. Unfortunately, the 'Excremento / San Demoncisco-infused culture' has just ruined it all.. Oh well, RIP, Poppylandia.. +_+

jd

That is really great to hear.
I do absolutely know what you mean. It’s so hard to see what has become of this state. We were fairly isolated from most of it until recently. We had good neighbors. It was all ag. Good people. You could wave when they passed by. Rarely cars on the road. Now…. Sigh. Oh well. I just pray we aren’t making a huge mistake. I’m praying it is like we dream of where we end up moving. I want to have privacy but good “neighbors” who wave as you drive by each other. Respect for the quiet of country living. Help when needed. Barter happily if the opportunity presents itself. I’ve lost faith there’s still places like that I guess. There is zero respect for anyone around here anymore. Makes me so sad.
Well anyways. Enough of my whining. Lol
I hope your move works out perfectly and you get happiness 🤗

Good morning y'all.
Love sitting by the window , having coffee, watching the sunrise.
Planning my day.
Y'all have a good one.

Jim

Good Morning, Jim. I did my usual morning mechanical work. I put the rear end in the recliner and logged in. Ready for whatever life has to throw at me.

Latest posts

Back