Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get some rest and am hoping tomorrow is a better day for you. :huggs:
I actually did sleep!! Everyday is good, I just did that "overscheduling" thing again! Off during the ice storm and trying to make up for it! No day off for a couple of weeks! Glad to have all the work!

Our 2 dogs have encountered their first skunk :cry:

Hubby ordered some spray that vets use to help "deskunk" animals.
Hopefully it works
Thank goodness they're outside dogs

Hopefully it works
We had two that would get in skunk trouble often, can laugh about it now! We always kept skunk shampoo on hand, and rubbed baking soda into their coats too. I knew an old gal who would wash her dog in vinegar and lemon joy when it got skunked!

When I had my working police dog, we had our dogs get skunked quite a bit while tracking bad guys. We always carried Massengill Douche Powder that we would sprinkle on the dogs while bathing them, and it worked great. Since it is PH balanced, it also didn't harm them.

When I had my working police dog, we had our dogs get skunked quite a bit while tracking bad guys. We always carried Massengill Douche Powder that we would sprinkle on the dogs while bathing them, and it worked great. Since it is PH balanced, it also didn't harm them.
So - while not on duty, did you ever need to explain having douche powder in your pocket?

Hopefully it works
There is a product called "skunk off" that works as well as anything I know of.

So - while not on duty, did you ever need to explain having douche powder in your pocket?

Not at all, I just placed it into little 1" x 1" zip lock baggies and sold it on the street.

I made lots of lunch money that way and the coke snorters sure had great smelling noses!

Hopefully it works
Baking soda, peroxide, and dawn dish soap gets rid of the skunk smell. Keep it away from nose, eyes, and privates. Also don't wear silver jewelry. Leave it on for about 10 minutes, and rinse out.
Yesterday I discovered this mixture works better at cleaning up grease build up than a commercial degreaser.

Every 5 years you have to renew your driver's license here.
I just did it online. So easy. Took only 10 mins and most of that was them getting their payment from the credit card company lol

You're only allowed to do it once online, so in 5 years I'll have to go stand in line with all the documents they want and get my picture taken and pay them for that privilege :rolleyes:

Hopefully it works
Back in October I caught a skunk in a trap out in front of the shop. I thought I'd release it because it was too small to skin. So I grabbed a bed sheet off the front porch that I thought the wife was throwing away (she wasn't) and covered the skunk with it. The skunk sprayed me, the bed sheet and the shop door. I managed to get it out of the trap. Found out that the sheet was just airing out. The wife laughed too hard to get mad at me.

I do. I just use the names interchangeably sometimes. But yes, I trap ermine.
Is there any profit in waiting for the varying hares to get all white? Back in the day, it all went into felt (according to my trapper buddy in school). The stew stayed the same, too.

Is there any profit in waiting for the varying hares to get all white? Back in the day, it all went into felt (according to my trapper buddy in school). The stew stayed the same, too.
I don’t usually save the snowshoe hare skins, they're too thin. Except to use a strip of fur that i hang on a limb to help attract bobcats.

Back in October I caught a skunk in a trap out in front of the shop. I thought I'd release it because it was too small to skin. So I grabbed a bed sheet off the front porch that I thought the wife was throwing away (she wasn't) and covered the skunk with it. The skunk sprayed me, the bed sheet and the shop door. I managed to get it out of the trap. Found out that the sheet was just airing out. The wife laughed too hard to get mad at me.
I set a Have A Heart trap to catch a feral cat because it had a wire wrapped around a back leg. Less than 5 minutes later I had a skunk in the trap right next to the back door. I went in the front door and got my .22 but when i got back the skunk had escaped. I guess it didn't latch the door. I was glad and the skunk was probably happy too.
I did catch the cat and got the wire off. When I let him out he was off like a rocket. Never saw him again.

I love our county Sheriff. He changed how you get your concealed carry permits.He's changed a lot of things for the better.

Its faster, easier and if you're a veteran its free.
Hubby had to pick his up yesterday (gotta get your picture taken for it). Little girl working there didn't know veterans didn't have to pay for it lol

I love our county Sheriff. He changed how you get your concealed carry permits.He's changed a lot of things for the better.

Hubby had to pick his up yesterday (gotta get your picture taken for it). Little girl working there didn't know veterans didn't have to pay for it lol
Thats a good first step. Our state did away with the silly permit several years ago. We no longer need a government permission slip to carry concealed. Of course we've always been "allowed" to carry openly.

Thats a good first step. Our state did away with the silly permit several years ago. We no longer need a government permission slip to carry concealed. Of course we've always been "allowed" to carry openly.

Here as well. We no longer need a concealed carry permit.

That's good. The Vermont way is even better - it's in our state constitution (always has been). The lefties haven't tackled it yet.

Had to go to the credit union this morning. Somebody altered my name on our accounts. They added a middle name and I don't have one. Never did.
We caught it when the statements came and we were checking them.
Had to sign a couple of papers so it could be changed back.
Nothing was missing from the 2 accounts, so I think we caught it in time.
I wonder how many other people's names have been altered and they haven't noticed?

Check everything on your statements people, even your names

Wish ours would do the same. I got my cc permit, but it took several weeks.

Imagine what would happen if the government required a permit to exercise your 1st amendment rights.
Washington state was one of the first to make pistol permits a shall issue law.
I went to the city police department the first week to get mine. The cop asked why I wanted one and I told him it was none of his business just process my form. I had to get the Police Chief involved.
Washington issues a CPL, concealed pistol permit, not a concealed weapon permit. I can carry a loaded handgun but not a concealed knife over 3" (?) and no switchblades.
LEO, First responders, and military can carry switchblades but us serfs can't

Imagine what would happen if the government required a permit to exercise your 1st amendment rights.
Washington state was one of the first to make pistol permits a shall issue law.
I went to the city police department the first week to get mine. The cop asked why I wanted one and I told him it was none of his business just process my form. I had to get the Police Chief involved.
Washington issues a CPL, concealed pistol permit, not a concealed weapon permit. I can carry a loaded handgun but not a concealed knife over 3" (?) and no switchblades.
LEO, First responders, and military can carry switchblades but us serfs can't
This isn't my favorite state.

Hopefully it works
Finally! lol
Hubby got him in a headlock and I managed to wipe him down with a rag with the spray on it.
I got him good and now he smells like soap or perfume lol
Now he won't come to us.
She had a little on her from him rubbing on her. She wasn't so hard to wipe though.
She'll do anything to get some loving, so I just pretended like I was loving on her and got her cleaned up.

Now hopefully he's smart enough to leave those types of cats alone :rolleyes:
I'm not holding my breath. He's a big goofball

Latest posts

Back