Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checking in as I take a break from disassembling my entertainment center and taping off the trim. My poor puppy is so confused about what I'm doing. LOL

My two are not puppies but learning to use doggy door. The real old one showed the other one how it is done.
This old dog not only looks just like Old Yeller but also as smart or smarter. A couple days ago we cut out screen put lead fishing line weights on bottom so it automatically closes when they go in and out. They love it and we are no longer doorpeople for dogs.:woo hoo:

Last edited:
I don't believe that! :rolleyes: :)
Ha! Believe it! Ask anyone in my family! They will chuckle and tell you lovely :sarcasm: stories! :LOL:
Getting better! Thanks for asking! Not nearly as congested. Going to stay inside today again. Want to be sure I’m not one who has it come back with a vengeance. I do need to walk the herd if they all come in but I’ll bundle up and do it “quickly” and come right back in.
My two are not puppies but learning to use doggy door. The real old one showed the other one how it is done.
This old dog not only looks just like Old Yeller but also as smart or smarter. A couple days ago we cut out screen put lead fishing line weights on bottom so it automatically closes when they go in and out. They love it and we are no longer doorpeople for dogs.:woo hoo:
Nice!
Hey Fort!
Howdy Buildit!

So it's progress even if it's slower than I wish it was. First coat is on and in a half hour I'll start the second. I will say I will never buy Olympic paint again as it is crap and lucky me, I have five gallons of it. :(

26231281_1225657057535310_1003301506889755509_n.jpg

Seems all paint now is crap. What is a good paint to use?
I agree. We bought paint to do our bathroom and it wasn’t the right color, actually it was down right lime green when it was supposed to be a very soft yellow. Then it started peeling off the walls! Thankfully after a discussion with the manager at Home Depot we ended up getting out money back. They couldn’t argue when we I showed them the color swatch (their own swatch card! And the paint on the outside of the can)

I agree. We bought paint to do our bathroom and it wasn’t the right color, actually it was down right lime green when it was supposed to be a very soft yellow. Then it started peeling off the walls! Thankfully after a discussion with the manager at Home Depot we ended up getting out money back. They couldn’t argue when we I showed them the color swatch (their own swatch card! And the paint on the outside of the can)
Wait until @buildit tells you about the Lowe's near me. It is quite the story. I was so glad he was with me!

I like to use Behr paint from Lowe's. It's got guts!
Well, I'll be back at the gym tomorrow so maybe I'll pick up two gallons of that to paint the family room. I think I'll use this stuff to do the ceiling in the bed room and then use the rest in the upstairs bedrooms where I can take as long as I want to paint them. Another two hours or so and I should be safe to put shelves back up and reassemble the entertainment system. I guess now would be a good time for dinner?

You can tell it, I don't want to get all frustrated with Lowes before I go there tomorrow. LOL
But you were the one yelling at the guy ;) and I am pretty sure I will leave something out.

I went to Lowe's with @buildit who was kind enough to come help me move and adjust to country living. He helped me pick out a trailer for my SUV so I could move stuff on my own, including trash. It has been incredibly helpful.

First we go to buy the trailer and they said it was going to be something like a 45 minute wait because all of the managers were in a meeting and allegedly only the managers could sell the trailers. BuildIt called BS on this and I bought it in no time.

Then we had to go to the DMV to get tags for the trailer because I couldn't take it anywhere until I did that. BuildIt was stuck in my car watching my infant son while I took care of that.

We go back to Lowe's to pick up the trailer and BuildIt insisted on testing everything. It turned out there was a light out and that one of the sides wasn't securing/releasing right. The people at Lowe's wanted me to just follow up with these problems as warranty issues. Keep in mind that at this point I was already out the money from the DMV, so I couldn't simply return it.

BuildIt asked them for a drill to fix the securing/releasing issue on one side of the gate and some genius replied with, "We don't have any tools." In the history of people saying stupid things... this has got to make the top 10. Yes folks, Lowe's no longer has any *tools.* Go elsewhere for your hardware needs.

They ultimately replaced the bulb and came out with a drill that someone (them or BuildIt, I stayed in the car!) used to improve the gate situation. (It still requires a little persuasion every now and then.) We also had to go back later because they sold me a washing machine that they didn't have in stock, so I had to pick out another one.

This is why I hate errands. Nothing ever goes as planned. This is also why I like doing things with BuildIt. I am apparently not very scary, but my adopted big brother is :D

BuildIt asked them for a drill to fix the securing/releasing issue on one side of the gate and some genius replied with, "We don't have any tools." In the history of people saying stupid things... this has got to make the top 10. Yes folks, Lowe's no longer has any *tools.* Go elsewhere for your hardware needs.

This is why I hate errands. Nothing ever goes as planned. This is also why I like doing things with BuildIt. I am apparently not very scary, but my adopted big brother is :D

Sounds about right to me. Question is why is that not my sig line? LOL

If we have to return anything to the stores that is crap or faulty by largely built 6'2" husband sends me in to do it and he is by my side as he says I get better results :D and I am a slim built 5'8" woman, I give them the same look as what I gave my young children years ago when they did something wrong and even if they were on the other side of the room they would stop what they were doing and say please stop giving me "the look". The shop assistants just take one look at me and take me to the new product to exchange it and normally give me the more expensive model for the same price.

@Fort I feel for you as most sales assistants definitely do not treat women seriously and tend to give us the runaround most times. Sometimes having a man with us makes life so much easier to get things done efficiently.

I will say though I used to be a licenced motor dealer and owned a car sales yard, wrecking yard and service station and admit to being a force to be reckoned with and don't take any crap from anybody, and did I mention I was born a redhead :D

Very nice, how did little man like it?
HE ATE SOME OF IT!! It was great!! :D

Edit: I made the same thing on New Year's Day and he would only eat the bread that day. My son is going through that phase where he loves a food one day and will not eat it 3 days later. So I am super excited when he eats anything.

Last edited:
I’ll throw in conversation as I read through…

How old is your house?

First one was an 1856 farmhouse. 24 x 28 two story balloon frame. But… Beams holding up the first floor were from an old barn. They used old structural timbers that were mortice/tenoned and pegged from another building. We figured barn by the cutouts for joists (the old ones, not the new ones that were in use) and the 45-degree support braces. Neighbors said it was built for a Presbyterian minister. Timbers were taken from the area and most of the “new” framing was from Hemlock cut off the hill out back.

It was my first house and I would never go through the process of gutting and remodeling the whole thing again. I could have built a much nicer, more efficient place for a fraction of the cost and labor it took. By the time you get through ripping out and replacing all that was needed, it was practically all new anyway.

It still had the two separate wires on insulators in the walls and attic too! No insulation left on them, just bare wires buried in years of dried corn cobs, dead mice and all sorts of interesting things. Most of it had been replaced by BX cable and even that was too old to use. By the outlets in some of the rooms, that old two wire system was still being used when it was abandon. Scary thought. They boxed the BX in the attic and bugged the other wires into it.

If you like Chinese food, the Panda Inn is walking distance (just about) to you. It has the best Chinese food in the world. You can expect to see some famous celebrities since many stop there coming and going between Palm Springs and Beverly Hills. Also, most of the race crews will eat there after a Nascar race in Fontana.
http://www.pandainn.com/locations/ontario/

For a great steak house, the Cask and Cleaver is just North of you by about 3 miles. It has an awesome bar with great drinks and free food during happy hour when the football games are on.
http://www.caskncleaver.com/

If you want great authentic Mexican Food, this place is about 4 miles away. Claimed to be the best food north of the Mexican border.
http://www.fondadonchon.com/

Lastly, a really great place to walk around with several restaurants is at Victoria Gardens. It is about 4 mles away, and has some of the best restaurants that California has. There is California Pizza Kitchen, The Yard House, King's Fish House, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Paul Martin's steakhouse (a favorite), Jack's Urban Eats, (never been but hearing that the food is great), and my all time favorite restaurant Flemings (dry aged prime beef rib eye will set you back $58, with sides another $12 a piece) but claimed to be one of the best in the world. Lastly, on the East side of this shopping center is Bass Pro, where you can but anything from bullets to boats, and is two stories tall with waterfalls, indoor trout streams, gun range, and also a good fish restaurant inside the store.

https://www.victoriagardensie.com/dining/
Thanks Hav! I think I'll check out the Panda.

Latest posts

Back