Fun on the Farm Quiltalong

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's for sure! Someone asked how many people were taking part and the moderator said almost 4000. I'm not sure how they know that, though, since you don't have to sign up to get the patterns. It could actually be a lot more than that.

I think that they are only counting the people that have joined in on the FB page. It could be DOUBLE that counting people that just went to the website and got the pattern and made it without joining the FB page too!!!!

I think you're right because a lot of people won't use Facebook at all. There are a couple of quilting groups where I lurk but don't post. I can't believe how this week has been dragging since I've been waiting and waiting for the new pattern. Just two more mornings to go now!

I just looked through the new comments and photos posted on the Facebook page. This BOM is bringing so much fun and cheer for those of us who are taking part. One lady is doing it with all her granddaughters and posted pictures of all of their blocks together. What a wonderful experience that those girls will remember forever! I need to get serious about choosing fabric for my sashing so I can start working on it now instead of waiting until the end. If I make the sashing for each block as I go, I'll be able to set the top together as soon as we get the last block. I don't have enough of one brown fabric so I'm considering making my fence either dark red or dark green. I'll just have to start digging through my tubs and see what I have enough of.

Here's a picture of another completed piggy quilt. I'll post links for these as I see them because it's nice to see how someone else sets them together. For this lap quilt, the maker used a simple sash with cornerstones and it looks so nice! I really like that she used the same green "grass" fabric for her border because it really pulls it all together. I'm guessing that's a 2" sash and if the border is 3" then her finished size would be 50 x 64, perfect for a child's nap quilt.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&set=gm.1955069471452717&type=3&theater&ifg=1

One more day, just one more day …
:dancing:

I like that. Might have to make several.
I could scraps from the scrap bin( scrap tote).
This is from E. Burns.
Oh the possibilities I enjoy making baby quilts.
Thanks ladies, maybe just maybe I'm finally getting my mojo back.

Me too MoBook, but in my dreams I guess. I'd like to have a donkey on mine. Of course I always wanted grandkid pics on one but that ain't gonna happen unless one of them get busy making it.

f5f38b0375ea5a6403fb5a8c45d96e7a--crocheting-my-mom.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't decided on my sashings and borders either. I don't like the business of the original but I do like the simplicity of the one that you showed with the same grass fabric as a border. I want something simple that won't detract from the blocks but still in a farm theme. I'll have to put on my thinking cap.... :)

Meerkat - that is a CUTE baby quilt!!!

You and me both, Maxine! 12 hours from now I'll be sitting here with my cup of coffee staring at the computer screen. I wonder what time it will be posted. They're in California so 8am there is 10am for me. sigh

Meerkat, I love your baby quilt! Are you going to join us on these farm blocks? You wouldn't have to make all 12 if you want them for a baby quilt.

I've always liked the Garden Maze setting but never got around to using it with anything so I'll be using that pattern for mine. When I was looking at the fence quilt block pattern I thought it would be cute to use the plain sashing between the blocks but use a fence border around the quilt. Do you like something like that, Kim?

http://www.quilterscache.com/P/PicketFenceBlock.html

I took one last look at the Facebook page to see if there was any news and … there was! Eleanor posted a couple of hours ago that the new block will be released at midnight. Now I'm in a quandary trying to figure out whose midnight she means. Probably Pacific time so that would be 2am for me. Hmmmmmmm …. decisions, decisions. Do I try to go to sleep now and get up at 2am or do I go to bed my regular time and try to sleep though the night? Or is she actually going to post it at midnight eastern? That would be 11pm for me. Maybe I should just stay up all night staring at my computer until it shows up?
:dunno:

I LOVE that picket fence border Katie!!!! I book marked it and think I WILL use it! Thanks!!!

Maxine, isn't Eastern time 3 hours ahead of us? That would make midnight at 9 pm our time. I'm going to check then. LOL!!! If its not up before I go to bed I'm just going to check it when I get up. If I sleep in some it will give other people time to get on and we all won't crash the site at once. :)

Oh, good! I can't wait to see how yours turns out using the fence border. Did you look at the testers photos? One of them made a brown fence and it looked perfect for a corral! Or make the picket section and embroider barbed wire on the connecting piece. That would be fun, too.

Pacific time is the earliest and it gets later as you go east so midnight in California is 3am in New York. Someone who lives in New Jersey was commenting that she'd have to wait until then to see the new pattern. Quilters all across the country will be tossing and turning tonight!
:comp bullet

Wow! I didn't see that coming either, Maxine! I was so fixated on the little farm animals I didn't think about anything else except maybe a barn. It makes sense though because farms are in the country. I do love the pattern and the funny thing is I was just looking at sunflower quilt blocks the other day. Must have been my ESP working. :D I had decided to treat myself and get the kit for each block so I've ordered that. It should be here about the middle of the week so that's when I'll be making mine. I love that we have two designs to choose from so I'll make one with the kit and use my scraps to make the other one.

So what else goes on a farm? We'll have animals, the sunflowers and I'm sure there will be a barn. I know! A beautiful ear of corn! It looks like yellow is going to be a theme color so that would definitely work. Here's a link to download the September pattern.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/specialsale2.asp

Just read through some of the comments and Eleanor said there will be more animals later.

I agree Katie.. the Sunflowers will fit in beautifully.. Ill get started today finding my fabrics.. Right now I'm working on that Cowboy themed baby quilt.. Must get it finished very soon!! Darn Babies just don't wait for you to get all caught up sewing..before they are born!! :)

Just saw the sunflowers!!! I LOVE them!!!! These will keep us busy awhile I think. I've never done the Dresden Plate or applique stems and leaves before but I've been wanting to learn how. :) Now I KNOW that I want to do the picket fence around my quilt squares - picket fences and sunflowers just go together. :) I think this is going to be a really CUTE quilt - think it might have to go on a wall in my sunflower sewing room!!!

The way these Dresden Plates are made is pretty simple and you'll probably get hooked on them after you make this block. I think it's one of the prettiest quilt patterns and I have a box of Dresden Plate blades just waiting for me to put them together. Maybe this will give me a nudge to pull them out and get started on them. I think your quilt is going to be really precious. I've been looking at the mini-Dresden pattern and I think it would make a beautiful 6" border. I'm worn out from all the farm BOM excitement so I might go to bed early tonight - like in another hour. lol

Has anybody started on their sunflowers yet? I ordered my block kit when the pattern was posted on Saturday but it didn't get mailed until yesterday because of the holiday. I should get it Friday so I'll probably be making sunflowers this weekend. I really love these, they're so cheerful and soothing. The week before this pattern was posted, I was thinking about making a whole quilt of sunflowers and started looking for patterns. I found a nice pieced one that I really liked but now I'm thinking about using these applique and Dresden patterns instead. Imagine a field of sunflowers spread across your bed - wow, that would be gorgeous!

No Sunflowers for me yet.. I am determined to finish this Cowboy baby quilt before I start on the Sunflowers.. Will be using fabric from my stash.. Will be picking out something wild & bright I'm sure,, :) I have a couple of Sunflower quilt patterns in a book that I've always wanted to make.. I think a Sunflower bed quilt would be so very cheerful!! Oh dear now something else to think on doing for sure.. good grief you Ladies are certainly enablers!!! Whew :)

I am starting to feel better and my headache is a lot better today. :) I plan on starting my sunflowers this weekend also. I should be over whatever virus this has been - I HOPE. I think some of it is the heat and smoke too. It has taken its toll on EVERYBODY. :( Pets also!!! A bed full of sunflowers would be WONDERFUL - another thing to strive for. LOL!!!

… Oh dear now something else to think on doing for sure.. good grief you Ladies are certainly enablers!!! Whew :)

Just want to share the joy, Maxine! If I'd actually made all the quilts that I've planned, it would fill a really big barn. :D

Glad to hear you're getting better, Kim. This time of year is miserable for colds and viruses with all the back and forth. It was cooler here today and I loved it. Autumn is my favorite season and I'm ready for it to get here. Hopefully you'll get some cooler temps soon and that will make you feel better, too.

I have my big sunflower block made and I love it! I made the three small Dresdens and put a center on but didn't like the way it looked. I removed the centers and I'm pondering what I'm going to do. Here's a picture of my big block. The colors look washed out but it's really brighter than it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180908_173302.jpg
    IMG_20180908_173302.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
Katie I LOVE your Sunflower!! The colors are beautiful & work well together, the middle is very appropriate as seeds!! love the polka dots and your stitching is very very nice!! Way Cool Sunflower!!

I haven't started on mine yet.. have an idea as to the fabrics I want to use, but right now we are canning.. We made Tomato Soup.. that always tastes so good in the winter with a grilled cheese sandwich.. thinking about making some jams & jellies.. and then I still need to finish the Cowboy Baby quilt.!! as soon as I get my kitchen table cleared off I can layer the quilt then get it under the needle.. so much to do!!!

The big block was made from the QIAD kit and I love the fabrics they included, too. The mini Dresdens are made from my scraps and I love how cute they are. I put a green center on each of the little ones but didn't care for how they looked so took them back off. I need to dig deeper and find a dark brown to use for the middle on those. I haven't done much with lace or rick rack so making the big circle was a bit fiddly for me but it looks pretty good if you don't look too close. I had originally planned to stitch it down by hand but changed my mind and appliqued it on the machine with a plain straight stitch. I am happy with the way it turned out so I'll probably do that with all my blocks from now on. There hasn't been any mention of making a video on this month's block but I did find this video from a few years ago showing how she made the Dresden Plate and it's pretty handy to watch. Towards the end she makes a Dresden Christmas wreath and finishes the inside edge by just turning it under.

I love the sound of home made tomato soup! I have a simple recipe to make soup using canned tomatoes so maybe when it starts to turn cool I'll make a big pot. I am so ready for fall

Eleanor Burns Dresden Plate video

Attachments

• IMG_20180911_133204.jpg
    IMG_20180911_133204.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
I am hoping one day I can get to this project, but I'm like Maxine right now with so much going on. Canning is almost coming to an end thankfully but not quite there yet. Mom recently got married so have been working on a cross stitch for her in my spare time as a wedding present. We weren't given too much of a notice so they will just have to wait but I did include a picture of it in their wedding card. It s s kit I picked up at Joann's of a couple doves holding a ribbon which I changed thread colors to use her purples instead of the blue it came with. I'll put their names and their wedding date then it is framed with leaves and roses. When done I'll get a nice frame to put it in.
I love the idea of a darn quilt! It would go perfect around here at our place when we have the grandkids over. We have the pigs and grow the big mammoth sunflowers out in the garden every year. Oh I can't wait to see what else will be included. I sure hope there is a goat, a cow, a barn . . . Oh I could continue to list :)!! Oh a tractor, but if so would have to make it pink to match mine. Ok maybe I'm getting way ahead of myself here.

Hi, Dani! I figured you'd been pretty busy right now finishing up all the summer work. When you have a chance to start this, it won't take long to catch up. I'm always trying to guess what will come up next and I think the October block will be another farm animal. It will be neat if they alternate animals with other farm things like a cow next month followed by a big yellow ear of corn, a turkey and a pumpkin, a goat and a barn .... so many cute things! Maybe even some canning jars filled with jelly?

Katie, I LOVE the colors of your little sunflowers! A big wooden button in the middle would look cute too! I have my colors all picked out and will be cutting tomorrow. I think I will watch your video first before I do anything since I've never made a Dresden Plate before. Thanks for posting it!!! I've been working on a scarecrow cutout that I've had since the 90s probably! Found it in the craft closet when dejunking. Have a couple others also and 2-3 pumpkin cutouts too!!!

Latest posts

Back