Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plowed three more smallish areas. Which I would guess will give me a total garden and crop area of a little over an acre getting planted this year. Which will be the most I've ever attempted. Found another blackberry patch while I was at it. I'm wondering if fertilizing them would get larger berries? If so suggestions on what to use?

Tilled the garden spots tonight. Expecting some rain this week and wanted to knock the weeds down before they got a good start. Everything was small, but thats the best time to till it up.
Picked a nice mess of snow peas, small head of cabbage, and another couple onions.
I'll stick some pics up tomorrow.

When I harvested my first cabbage I removed just the inside head, left the outer leaves and the stem. Today I noticed 4 little cabbage buds near where I removed the head, this was unexpected but I read on the internet that it is a way to get several harvests off the same plant. :)

My tomatoes are now shoulder high, lots of blooms.

I dug out some netting and put it over some of the plants, I wish I had done it sooner.

I discovered that my cantaloupe is trying to grow up my tomatoes.... I think I need to move it to a better location where it can climb something else.

The flying cucumbers are almost to their limit without support, I need to start attaching chains to support them overhead...

Walking about the little garden in the morning twilight is very refreshing, there are so many things to discover that I could just get lost...

Saved some seeds last year from king of the north peppers, organic, non gmo. Not a one sprouted. Can anyone tell me why? when I was cleaning the peppers i took the seeds out, let dry and packed in an envelope.
I can't answer that question, but I noticed that my peppers took forever to sprout. Are you sprouting them on a heated tray? I have come to realize that they are very temperature sensitive (don't like cold).

View attachment 67439
I think this is Terri laughing at me ~ Oh these seeds might not sprout says she. I had my mom plant and sprout them for me because she is good at such things. Told her they were older seeds so might not be a great germination rate. There were 12 seeds in the pack so she put 2 in each cell of a little 6 cell thingy. 11 sprouted!!!!! I had to give some away. I didn't have room for that many. They are now about 8-10" tall and out in the garden. For reals, thank you. Those are my favorites for tom. sauce. This year I've decided to make my enchilada sauce while it's already getting canned up. In case you are worried about your other seeds, might just be cautious that you might end up with a lot 😂

So.... They sprouted for you then?😁.

I had 3 rounds of planting (replanted 3 times) not sprout, but I left the bad ones in there cause I'm lazy and I had the space.... then they all sprouted. I gave away 2 times more plants than I planted.... I think those little buggers were talking and said, let's just mess with him a bit....

I’m fighting with the bunnies eating my green beans,arg!!! Still a losing battle,even put some fresh cabbage leaves out for it, here’s my garden so far. Thank the Father we had some rain,expecting more!
2C87A2B1-DFA9-4BF4-B9DB-67157C465CFF.jpeg

Sorry about you bunny issue @bamadeb48, your garden looks nice.

I moved my cherry tomatoes away from my paste tomatoes, I went ahead and added cages to them, but it was hard as they were already too long. I did see a few tomatoes starting to form.

I need to spend several hours in the garden, but work is demanding much more of my time this week. Actually need to get off here to go there....

There is videos of “ the Veggie Boys” amazing farm,they grow everything for sale, watching the tomatoes and how they don’t stick them, makes me rethink mine, need to order the paste tomatoes they grow, big fat ones.mine are celebrity. Got little tomatoes, we used to raise the ole time Homestead. Never did stick them

I plan to start small with any gardening and farming. Any time I had tried to grow anything it died, so I'm starting with parsley and beetroot. And my sister got me some watermelon seeds.

On Sunday I'm headed to my dad's land where my sister, brother and cousin are growing their own stuff. I plan to get some soil and get as much info on looking after them at home. Maybe I'll leave the watermelon there.

I’m fighting with the bunnies eating my green beans,arg!!! Still a losing battle,even put some fresh cabbage leaves out for it, here’s my garden so far. Thank the Father we had some rain,expecting more!View attachment 67539

versanetting

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing/electric-netting/

i put this up in front of my electric deer fence and it stopped the rabbits.lots of options.click on each one to see picture of height and spacing they all are different.
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/versanet-plus-9-20-3-electric-netting?cat_id=53

To whomever mentioned that those mangy mongrel magpies are probably the culprits eating my pole beans as they pop out of the ground - thank you! I have more soaking that will go in the ground tomorrow and I will put the black vinyl netting stuff around the whole mess until they are up out of the ground with their leaves, then pull the stuff off. It snags easily by me with whatever I happen to be using so don't like having it over things. But if it will get my beans to grow :)

To whomever mentioned that those mangy mongrel magpies are probably the culprits eating my pole beans as they pop out of the ground - thank you! I have more soaking that will go in the ground tomorrow and I will put the black vinyl netting stuff around the whole mess until they are up out of the ground with their leaves, then pull the stuff off. It snags easily by me with whatever I happen to be using so don't like having it over things. But if it will get my beans to grow :)
You are welcome. They ate all of my walnuts which is good and bad. Good my trees produced walnut nut fruit. Bad the birds gottem.

Ben

We put in 2 60 foot rows of potatoes yesterday, Next will be corn. 8 60 foot rows.
We have 2 thousand garlic in the ground. Every thing else needs to go in at once.
I use a Jang seeder so it goes pretty fast.
We grow too many things to mention.

We are also planting about 300 dahlias and we have a thousand mixed premium daffodils already planted.

Put something else out for the birds to eat. My strawberries were getting eaten. I put up a suet hanger and sunflower seed in a hanging basket, and they are so far leaving my strawberries alone. There's nothing so annoying than half a strawberry
I should take my own advice and plant lots of wheatgrass a little way from my garden. We did that in New Mexico for our rabbit population that we couldn't quite keep control of. They'd stop at the wheat grass and fill up before the garden

The Arctic Kiwi bloomed this year after cutting it back hard this winter.
Have tiny kiwis now. Hopefully they'll grow to full size so we can eat them. Supposed to have more Vit C than an orange and you can eat the skin since its smooth and not hairy
007.JPG
006.JPG

Latest posts

Back