Garden 2021

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the rest of my taters dug, and butternut sqaush harvested. 1/2 a row and got about a half of a bread rack from it, maybe 1/4 bushel.
Also got 2 bright orange squash that resemble acorn squash, but not really either. Also pulled the only big squash that the vine had died already. Not sure the type of it either. Gotta see if I made notes on them or not. But there are a bunch of them 10-15 at least and some are probably 10+lbs. This one is 7-8lbs.
Good afternoon after I got in from work. Here are a couple pics
butternut.jpg
taters and onions.jpg

Got the rest of my taters dug, and butternut sqaush harvested. 1/2 a row and got about a half of a bread rack from it, maybe 1/4 bushel.
Also got 2 bright orange squash that resemble acorn squash, but not really either. Also pulled the only big squash that the vine had died already. Not sure the type of it either. Gotta see if I made notes on them or not. But there are a bunch of them 10-15 at least and some are probably 10+lbs. This one is 7-8lbs.
Good afternoon after I got in from work. Here are a couple picsView attachment 72018View attachment 72019
Good job. Some of my favorite squash have been mystery squash. I think one was a cushaw/delicata cross.

Get the skin off, cut them thin and fry them in coconut oil like french fries. yum!
Ill try that, wasn't sure how to do them.

Mo the taters sound like they are still growing. I never dig mine till the plants die back. Just be sure and dig them before frost. Maters will usually go till frost as well

Last edited:
field report..silver king sweet corn...i bought it from hoss tool..$3.99 a pack.its labeled 150 seeds. i planted my 4 rows in a block and it came up poorly. so i used rest of seed to replant blanks and it came up even less. not happy with what they called 98% germination test. so once it was all up the nerd in me had to count it all. i had 68 stalks of corn from the 150 seeds. i just finished up the last harvest of it on later stalks and grand tally for patch was 117 ears of corn so i had $3.99 handfull of fertilizer and my labor in 117 ears.the taste you just cant buy from a store only from your own hands or a small market gardener farmer type.thats 1.72 ears per stalk. and so 117 ears into $3.99 =.0341cents per ear..(.0341cents x 117ears) equals $3.9897 so $3.99 so its about as close as i can figure to the $3.99 price...lol... cheapest corn i seen was 32 cents a ear. i bought some and it tasted like cardboard. looked nice but was nothing.

i measured area and its 7 x 20 and had 4 rows in it. it had several open spots in 3 rows. was not happy with that at all. if i had gotten 20 plants per row for total of 80 stalks it would have been even better. with good fertilization and irrigation when it needs it i think you could push this area to 100 stalks or more. the best sweet corn i ever seen grown was grown in a round circle of about 8 feet on a compost pile of horse barn cleanings and it got water regular. they planted it so thick it was like a clump of cane or grass. you couldnt see through it at all and you had to part it to reach into center to harvest the ears from outside.

over all pleased but striving for perfection in my gardens...lol

just me blabbering is all.

Last edited:
My sweet peppers are working on their second round. Thanks to Ida tomatoes are shot. All cracking and insects getting them. I'll pull the rest of them in the next week.
Zucchini are looking like they're starting to stop producing. Do have one fruit I have to pick
One cucumber plant is still growing and working on veggies
Time to clean up and get the greenhouse ready for my herbs to over winter

Pineapple tomatoes are a bust.

Highly productive, but flavorless. Just big yellow bags of water. I won't try those again.

The Big Mama hybrids on the other hand are fantastic. Wish I could find an heirloom like that.

I am growing the Rutgers Heirloom (large red) and the taste is good, and production has been good

Just ordered some. Thanks for the recommendation. As another indeterminate variety they should work well for me as I trellis my tomatoes, usually two vines per plant, 10-12' high.

I have great luck with Sungolds and Big Mamas and okay luck with Black Prince Heirlooms but have yet to have an heirloom I'm really happy with. The black princes do alright but are really fragile, they will split just between picking them and walking them in the house. Pineapple heirloom was suggested on the other site and although they grew very well, have no taste.

If it was just up to me, and I didn't care about always having to buy hybrids, I would probably grow nothing but Sungolds.

field report..silver king sweet corn...i bought it from hoss tool..$3.99 a pack.its labeled 150 seeds. i planted my 4 rows in a block and it came up poorly. so i used rest of seed to replant blanks and it came up even less. not happy with what they called 98% germination test. so once it was all up the nerd in me had to count it all. i had 68 stalks of corn from the 150 seeds.

I feel for you, I planted corn 3 times this year and still didn't get a 25% crop. And dad, bless his heart, accidentally plowed up 30% of that.

I began having serious issues with corn seed back about '08. I had 3 acres planted, had to plow it up and replant. But it's been almost every year since about '15 that I've had total failures.

I have not planted corn in many years.
The best crop I ever planted, was a pound of corn my FIL gave me.
The stalks only got four feet high & look pitiful to me.
So I bought a half of pound & replanted in another field!
Well the corn in the first planting was breed to grow four feet tall, so you could plow it late in the season. This was 1985-86, the corn made two ear per stack, by the time the 2nd patch was readily, I had a small freezer full & gave away lots of corn. So I told my dad he could have the 2nd patch.
My aunts & cousins came out & picked the whole patch.
Last time I planted a block of corn, I got smut on the corn, but made a good crop with the three sister planting.

Cucumber experts: I have a cuke plant growing in a flower pot, I remember to water it a couple or 3 times a week. It keeps flowering and sprouting some tiny cucumbers, but other than that, they're not growing much. Is it still too hot here? Today the high was 92. It's not in full sun all the time. I didn't use soil with Miracle gro in it.
I have a tomato plant that is growing like a beanstalk. Nothing much going on there. Back east I could grow stuff and even at my other two houses here. But the past 5 years, notta.

Cucumber experts: I have a cuke plant growing in a flower pot, I remember to water it a couple or 3 times a week. It keeps flowering and sprouting some tiny cucumbers, but other than that, they're not growing much. Is it still too hot here? Today the high was 92. It's not in full sun all the time. I didn't use soil with Miracle gro in it.
I have a tomato plant that is growing like a beanstalk. Nothing much going on there. Back east I could grow stuff and even at my other two houses here. But the past 5 years, notta.
The two April freezes really hurt my garden this year. The deer don't help much either! I always plant my cukes in full sun. You need some donkey manure (I have a lot)!

I feel for you, I planted corn 3 times this year and still didn't get a 25% crop. And dad, bless his heart, accidentally plowed up 30% of that.

I began having serious issues with corn seed back about '08. I had 3 acres planted, had to plow it up and replant. But it's been almost every year since about '15 that I've had total failures.

Basically the same here. about that time frame was when i kept having my corn blown to the ground..not just a little bit but beyond recovering. it happened enough i just stopped growing corn for several years..probably 2015 until this year and last.last year i grew dent corn for meal but this year i jumped back into sweet corn.this dent corn was over 10 years old seed but i done ok getting little patch up and going last year. its a strong corn with major braceroots with stood some fierce winds last year so i was impressed. i had a patch of painted mtn corn and it fell over often. by far the worst corn i ever grew.i still had a bit of old corn seed left over so i planted it this year very very late. it really lost germination from last year.the seed i saved from same cultivar i grew last year came up fantastic but them dang crows got to working on so by time i got that section up and going no rains. its struggled but finally trying to finish up.

i have always saved seed for various items but with cost of seed jumping so much and availability coupled with sorry germination and more i am doing way more seed saving now.there just was no kennebec seed potatoes out of maine or canada we usually get here.the maine growers had entire crop failures.the distributor for my area gets tractor trailer load each spring.i found a sack out of dakotas and bought entire 50# when i seen it.it was only sack the store had and they had probably a sack and half in bin selling loose taters by pound.this year i am setting a bushel aside for seed potatoes first thing.

seed sovereignty !!

@Peanut theres 2 new heirloom sweet corns out there and both are sugary enhanced. who gets kissed and top hat. i am thinking and planning for next year and i think i am going to plant all the seed i have for one then wait the time period so it doesnt cross and then plant the second block. if they taste good enough then i can just leave ears on it to dry down and save seed for both or just one depending on taste or none if they both suck.

According to my research, potawatomi lima beans, does well in both northern & southern gardens. This bean is hundreds of years old & was saved by more than one tribe in the north.

Latest posts

Back