GM is phasing out gas powdered vehicles in 10 yrs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Local news, which we usually dont watch. But they just had a segment on GM. So it is starting, climate change will be in full force. I never understood, who is paying for the electric to charge the vehicle’s? How about all the batteries?
and a local girl on one local station, just quit. She put up, she likes freedom so she will not be working for the local news anymore!

It has probably been done, but seeing a report on the total environmental impact of IC vehicles versus electric vehicles over their lifetime would be interesting. Strip mining to get the elements required for batteries has an impact. Generating electricity to recharge your vehicle has an impact. Replacing the battery every few years will have an impact - both to the consumer in terms of cost and also the environment. The vast number of electronic parts in EVs that aren't (or don't need to be) in IC vehicles have to be manufactured and that process has an environmental impact.

As for Government Motors...they're doing themselves a disservice. It's either idiotic virtue-signaling or it's a mandate from their overseers (Washington D.C.).

Just look at California. With rolling blackouts and constant brownouts the governor wants to do away with all internal combustion cars by 2030.
Where will they get the electricity? The gas powered plants are being shut downand the diesel plants are all bu gone. They are buying most of their electricity from out of state.

:woo hoo: The Chevy Volt will rule the roads!!!
Oh wait, it was a flop, and only lasted 8 years:(.
Wikipedia said:
ProductionDecember 2010 –
February 2019
I've always been a Chevy guy, but I'm not paying more than the price of a 3-bedroom house for something to go 2 miles to the dam grocery store in!
go crazy.gif

Last edited:
For an electric vehicle to just be competitive they will need a 300 to 600 mile range between charges, a battery life of at least 10 years, real performance and style. On top of that the price will have be on a par with midsize cars.
So far just two companies have the greater market locked in.

For an electric vehicle to just be competitive they will need a 300 to 600 mile range between charges, a battery life of at least 10 years, real performance and style. On top of that the price will have be on a par with midsize cars.
Oh, you forgot, charging plugs at every gas-station if you go on a trip.
This is a minor detail that they just ignore.
I have yet to see a single ONE!

They pretty much have achieved all that.
I was interested in buying a Tesla..
Checkout insurance quotes on those high tech, specialty babies.

That's the reason I don't own one yet.

Jim

I guess we can forget attendants too to stand there in the ghetto fighting of gangs while we charge up.
What will it be called?How will you be charged for the charge?Will the amps be different like premium,regular?I know it won't be unleaded, maybe high test. Can you smoke at the terminal? Can I get just 10 bitcoins worth? :D

The town we just moved from had 5 charging stations at the truck stop and 4 at the Wal-Mart.
I had a guy making snide comments about my truck at the gas station one day. He told me trucks should be outlawed because diesel is to dirty. Told him that without trucks like mine he wouldn't be eating that hamburger. His smart alec reply was this is a veggie burger, no beef. I asked him if he grew everything in that burger in his yard? No? Then a farmer grew it and they need those disgusting trucks to deliver those veggies so your snotty but doesn't starve. He shut up but I don't think he learned anything...

Charging at a charging station, cost on average 1/3 what a gas fill up cost.
You monitor your gas gauge when driving around and don't let it run out of gas...same thing in EV.

I'm in a tiny town in KY boondocks , the motel 1 mile from me has 8 charging stations and every time I go by there , always 4-5 cars there charging.
Yes you can get a wall mount fast charge unit in your garage ,
or plug it into regular outlet which is very slow charge.

Jim

Just look at California. With rolling blackouts and constant brownouts the governor wants to do away with all internal combustion cars by 2030.
Where will they get the electricity? The gas powered plants are being shut downand the diesel plants are all bu gone. They are buying most of their electricity from out of state.

You forget that according to UN Agenda 21 by mile marker 2030 we will all be living in 'smart' cities and not allowed to own cars or any vehicles. Using a car will be through a sharing co-op and restrictions on movement will be in place. Most travel will be by walking or 'public' transit.

Newsom's no combustion cars by 2030 is a way to push this mile marker with out the population pushing back/or even knowing what is happening.

With UN Agenda 21 there will be no traveling.

Is the cost of EVs going to go down so that the average Joe can buy one? Not likely.

Just another change/restriction enacted by people who are unaffected. The wealthy will be able to weather such a change, but the lower socioeconomic classes will be hurt.

But, you know, they care about the little guy. :rolleyes:

The way things are at this moment in time, you won't be able to purchase either of those things by next year. It is already prohibitively expensive in some areas. Farmers are starting to be shorted on fertilizer and wood is at a premium. It is all sold elsewhere and imported for the locals at much higher cost. It isn't just food that needs to be stock piled.

All of a sudden, shipping containers are rare as hens teeth. Its going to be tough to hang on to what you have soon. I am happy now, that I wasn't allowed to have a farm auction. If you don't have what you need soon, you may not be able to afford it, including gas and cars.

Our bank accounts are at high risk of going the way of the Dodo bird as well, and sooner, rather than later.

Can you imagine if we all would have kept riding horses what a fix we'd be in today?
Growing pains and progress go hand in hand.

Seems we over did it. I don't see all that gain when compared to the loss. We lost our soul somewhere along the way. Leaving our children confined to chairs and AI is not good for the mind or body.

:woo hoo: The Chevy Volt will rule the roads!!!
Oh wait, it was a flop, and only lasted 8 years:(.
I've always been a Chevy guy, but I'm not paying more than the price of a 3-bedroom house for something to go 2 miles to the dam grocery store in!View attachment 58192
I get 495 miles to tank of gas.
It takes $20 to fill tank.
I drive a Fiat 500 Lounge.
;)

Latest posts

Back