Goats. 3 year plan.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Just your average ninja
Neighbor
We (I) would like goats. I have a 100ft x 60 ft front yard , I'd like to use as a day pasture for 2 dwarf dairy goats and their kids, until suck time those become meat or sold...I'm an extreme newbie.

We use very little dairy as it is but I love butter, cheese and occasionally milk. DH doesn't like any but the occasion butter....I use that alot for baked goods.

Anyways. We have a 3 year plan to get the "pasture" ready and figure out housing and other structures or things we need to have in place.

First thing I'd like to work out is turning the front yard into proper foraging for them...it's mostly fescue and weeds now . Also our septic field runs through part of it....is this an issue? Can I separate it in half and rotate grazing? How much room do they need? Is it a pipe dream?

You can divide it without problem, septic isn't an issue. Goats prefer to browse and will eat trees before grass. 100ftx60ft is plenty of room. They will need shelter but it doesn't need to be anything elaborate. The most important thing is good sturdy fences.

Latest posts

Back