Growing Celery

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I cut off the grocery bought celery roots, I put the root into a glass of water in a window. I just regrow and cut off what I need. It does grow pretty quickly in a sunny window. If you use a lot of celery, you may need multiples glasses/jars. I didn't read thru the thread so it may have already been covered. Down here in the south, my growing season is not long enough for celery. You can do the same for green onions.

Funny this thread came up recently. I just got my new issue of Self Reliance magazine and there is an article about growing, using, preserving celery.
I was thinking about ways to preserve celery today. I know it can be dehydrated. I have never chopped it up and frozen it, but it is something I would like to try. When I am chopping up things like onions or celery, I want to chop up all that I have and then have it ready for recipes when I need it.

I was thinking about ways to preserve celery today. I know it can be dehydrated. I have never chopped it up and frozen it, but it is something I would like to try. When I am chopping up things like onions or celery, I want to chop up all that I have and then have it ready for recipes when I need it.
When I get store bought celery, chop off the root, then I take the root to put in a glass of water to regrow. The left overs I just cut in half to throw in a pint size ziplock bag to defrost and do what i would like for recipes. I would keep it on the bigger side if freezing, but that is my preference.

Last edited:
I have cut off store bought Celery and placed in the ground but never in just eater at a window. I am going to try this. I do freeze and freeze dry. But we do like fresh, a lot.
not sure if this was mentioned, but to make celery last, wrap in aluminum foil.

When I get store bought celery, chop off the root, then I take the root to put in a glass of water to regrow. The left overs I just cut in half to throw in a pint size ziplock bag to defrost and do what i would like for recipes. I would keep it on the bigger side if freezing, but that is my preference.
I don't know if it actually matters when regrowing, but the glass jar I put them in is a clear glass.

I usually freeze my celery, I canned it once and it was mushy.

Latest posts

Back