Hashbuilt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB, not sure where these are being built but assuming a fairly warm climate? Here, those foundation walls are far too shallow. Looking good but cannot remember if you ever said what state they are in. Curious and all that.

Im in southern Missouri, we are only required 1 ft footing coverage here.

Im in southern Missouri, we are only required 1 ft footing coverage here.

Ahh OK, here it is 4 feet so curious as I said. I am wondering what the cost diffences are. Here, one of the big things is windmill foundation pourings which has increased the costs exponentially. If you can get a delivery at all. Do you see any of that going on in your market?

Ahh OK, here it is 4 feet so curious as I said. I am wondering what the cost diffences are. Here, one of the big things is windmill foundation pourings which has increased the costs exponentially. If you can get a delivery at all. Do you see any of that going on in your market?

I happen to be lucky on concrete, my uncle owns a concrete plant 3 miles away. I can always get mud and a hell of a lot cheaper than any of my competitors. For 4000 psi mud I pay around a $100 per yard plus winter service and delivery. Which puts it around $25 per yard cheaper than everyone else. Now I am having a hell of a hard time getting everything else except lumber which I’m paying out the nose for.

I don’t think my wife thought it was a good day to be cleaning and acid washing garage floors but we did get it finished.

79554A85-CF1F-4D2F-AF5C-CF53E3969040.png

@hashbrown My question is do you mostly not put basements in the majority of places you build? Most Texas homes do not have basements, they say because of the underground shifting. I hope you haven’t already covered this topic.

Most single family homes ive built have had basements due to the lay of the land most generally they are walk out basements here.

I didn't want him to be in the construction business but with no young men in construction these days I have started to change my mind.
I don't think it's your decision. The kid is a natural, he's smart, skilled, and a hard worker. He'll do as he wishes. When I see him on equipment it is obvious that he loves the work.

It is amazing how curing concrete gets hot.

Jim.
Especially if it has calcium in it, when I was concrete form setting in the Denver area, winter pours always had to have calcium in the mix, same type of calcium that's added to the water for weight in tractor tires, when the calcium was mixed in the water before pumping it in the tires, the water got very hot, the calcium keeps the water or concrete from freezing but what's scary is what that water can do to leather boots or gloves, it shrinks them and makes them ugly and unusable.

Last edited:
We are finishing up the development we started all homes have sold and the last ones are in the Sheetrock phase. I had to get the rest of the paving finished up today before the asphalt plant closes for the winter. We built 80 units with a clubhouse and pool. This is the paving on the last 2 buildings. I’m not sure what I’m going to do next with interest rates like they are. I might just kind of watch and see what’s happening in the world, I’m not really feeling like sticking my neck out that far.

BF070A97-6F4D-42D4-890D-AA1BC319B170.jpeg
BA732A99-48C7-4CC6-9A16-FAE99EFF4AB0.jpeg
62B7155C-E35B-4A11-B735-522DB3B0060D.jpeg
7E1A35BE-5598-4909-AD3F-3F9903DEF406.jpeg
923D98C0-CD0D-4114-A9AB-D29909155189.jpeg

We are finishing up the development we started all homes have sold and the last ones are in the Sheetrock phase. I had to get the rest of the paving finished up today before the asphalt plant closes for the winter. We built 80 units with a clubhouse and pool. This is the paving on the last 2 buildings. I’m not sure what I’m going to do next with interest rates like they are. I might just kind of watch and see what’s happening in the world, I’m not really feeling like sticking my neck out that far.

View attachment 97653View attachment 97654View attachment 97655View attachment 97656View attachment 97657
Nice work!

The neighbor across the the street does concrete and roday gis T-shirt read...

If you don't do concrete it is your own asphalt.

:rolleyes:

Ben

So, any advise on repairing floor "joists" when they rot? We have a crawlspace about 4 feet in depth. Airflow is poor and the "studs" / "joists" were set into pockets cut into cement blocks. I have jacked most of the floors back to the proper levels but they are currently on supports that are temporary. Most of the ends have rotted off so structurally I am concerned how to mitigate the issue. I can scab on pieces at the ends I guess. Just looking for ideas since this is not something I do every day. Thoughts?

So, any advice on repairing floor "joists" when they rot? We have a crawlspace about 4 feet in depth. Airflow is poor and the "studs" / "joists" were set into pockets cut into cement blocks. I have jacked most of the floors back to the proper levels but they are currently on supports that are temporary. Most of the ends have rotted off so structurally I am concerned how to mitigate the issue. I can scab on pieces at the ends I guess. Just looking for ideas since this is not something I do every day. Thoughts?
Sorry I missed this, without seeing it would make it hard to determine a correct fix but I have sistered a lot of joists over the years.

Latest posts

Back